View Single Post

Old 02-03-2009, 04:15 PM

Liked 605 Times in 122 Posts

The gun was shipped on 6-8-91 according to S&W very close to yours.

The action is very smooth and relatively light for a J frame. The PC did a good job with that. The trigger is a help. Yes action jobs on J frames which smooth out the trigger pull without reducing reliability by lightening the springs too much are relatively rare.

The length of the barrel allows for a slightly longer ejector rod which is also a help. This gun gives us about 2 1/4" of actual rifling the additional 3/8" being the comp.

The smooth rosewood stocks are not so helpful in shooting. Evan with the addition of a set of Tylers to them they are a bit too slick for my purposes. I may spring for a set of Eagle Secret Service stocks (pricier than they oughta be) or a set of Ahrends and meanwhile try the Uncle Mikes Boot grips. Unfortunately I traded off most of my J frame stocks.

I've also found that the width of the front sight (.125) in relation to the square notch rear (.120) is a bit too fine a bead for my needs. An extra .005-.010 narrower on the front or wider on the rear would be a help. The overall configuration of the front sight is quite good though. The serrations particularly nice.

I've been J frameless for a bit (a Colt Cobra filling the void) and ran across this one at a good price and the serial number struck my eye so I scooped it and glad I did. Now I'll have to look for the G&A article. Thanks for that!

tipoc