View Single Post

Old 11-17-2008, 09:00 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,270 Times in 285 Posts

Glad to have you here McGrew,

I confess lusting for a Model 27 about the time you were trading your M29.

Then, lo and behold I stumbled into one of those little old gunshop owned by an old man who was soon to retire. His prices were always sky high so he had lots of nice eye candy. We all remember shops like this!

He had a pristine 5" nickle-plated M27 there from the late 60's. I asked about it. He sold it to a lady for her husband's Christmas present when it hit the shop. Turned out that the guy really wanted a Model 66 so he brought it back and exchanged it a few days later.

"I can't sell it as new, since it was technically sold, but the guy didn't even shoot it," he told me. It truly looked brand new.

The price was a tad high on the gleaming Model 27, but it was too nice to pass up that day. Yep, it had all the materials, box, tools, etc. All were new too.

WHAT DID I DO WITH IT . . .

I immediately shot the heck out of it!

<span class="ev_code_BLUE"> Confucius say . . . "Safe Queen like a Virgin, One Bang and POOF, All Gone." </span> 'Tis true!

I was shooting a lot of pin matches and truly enjoyed the revolver! Sure, I tried to baby it . . . but one day the nickle on the front edge of the cylinder flaked just like yours did in a little spot. It was never the same after that to me . . .

Alas, as I went into another shooting phase, some other gun was luring me . . . and I needed an ATC (yep . . . and I still have that Honda Big Red 3-Wheeler!!!) . . . so I traded off a bunch of guns and got other things.

I still regret trading off that M27 (made in the Bangor Punta era). Gorgeous gun . . .

T.