View Single Post

Old 08-03-2008, 07:38 AM

Liked 1,285 Times in 264 Posts

A short time ago, I came across an interesting 2 inch nickel square butt 38 M&P 4th change (thanks D.C.) with an aftermarket engraving on the trigger guard. Typically, I don’t look twice at these but the LEO reference was too cool to pass up.

The 2 line engraving reads:

“Roger Rogers Deputy Sheriff
Okla City Okla Jan 3rd 1939”

A little digging produced the following...

Roger Rogers was the son of Patrick B Rogers and Rosanna Rogers. Patrick B Rogers was one of the original partners of Severin Tire & Supply Co., an Oklahoma City automotive parts firm. He died in 1940. His mother was very active in the social scene in OKC in the 30's. She died in Sept. 1948.

His grandfather was E.J. Rockefeller (yes, a relative of the NY Rockefellers) who died of exposure in a wooded ravine on one of his long walks. He was 84. His grandmother was Adeline I Rockefeller. She died in March of 1941.

Roger Rogers was a deputy court clerk up until Jan 3, 1939 when George Goff, newly elected sheriff and former Oklahoma City police chief, appointed him to the position of deputy sheriff.

Some notable cases:

• July 11, 1939....G.M. Brown shoots his wife in the head while test firing a 22 rifle he was trading for with a couple of teens.

• Sept 15, 1942...Largest single haul of bootleg whiskey.

In June of 1944, Roger Rogers, along with 30 others, passed the exam and was admitted to the Oklahoma Bar.

The gun was shipped in January, 1940, possibly a 1 year on duty present. Can't wait for the letter to see where it shipped to.

source: The Oklahoman - archive by subscription.