View Single Post

Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

I recently purchased a model 681 no dash that was a police trade-in. The gun was a little rough, had some timing issues, and had not been modified under the 1987 recall. When shooting magnums, the primers did indeed try to flow back into the firing pin hole.

I contacted S&W to ask about the recall modification. The first guy I talked to said that since it had been more than 10 years since the recall, it was no longer being honored. If I wanted to send it in, it would be at my cost.

I called back to complain to a supervisor, and talked with the nicest woman. Kelly told me they would indeed honor the recall, no matter how long ago it was, and immediately sent me a shipping label.

I sent in the 681, along with a note asking them to look at the timing issue, as it was failing to carry up. I also asked that the internals be looked over and any problems be repaired as well, and to just contact me with the final price for all the repairs.

A week and a half went by, and I had not received a phone call, or letter from S&W letting me know what the additional repairs would cost.

Monday afternoon, the gun was delivered by UPS. A neat little 'M' was stamped on the yoke, and a letter with the gun explained that the hand had been replaced free of charge.

I know some people have had problems with them, but I could not be more thankful, or impressed with S&W.

One thing about the 681 did bother me, but I have since fixed it by picking up an original Tyler T-grip for it. Now it finally looks and feels right.