View Single Post

Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 AM
US Veteran

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

Gatorhugger, I have never tested a standard pressure .380 that expanded properly through four layers of denim/Perma-Gel and bare Perma-Gel. So far I have tested the Speer Gold Dot, Hornady FTX, Fiocchi Extrema and also Buffalo Bore's .380 +P Gold Dot (which is a great expander and penetrator, but beat the snot out of my P3AT). I have seen .380 Golden Sabre 10% gelatin results on the net, but have not personally tested that load (although I have been thinking about it). In the two Golden Sabre tests I've seen, that bullet never penetrated more than 9 1/2" IIRC, and yes I do recall .60" or so expansion. I prefer more penetration than that. If you are comfortable with that amount that's your decision. Based on what I've read, it appears that Remington's engineers missed what Hornady's and Speer's didn't: Controlling the expansion of a .380 bullet so that it only expands to around .45" will put on the brakes some, but still allow deep penetration. FWIW, Speer's .380 Gold Dot did well through four layers of denim, expanding to .442" and penetrating 13" deep. That bullet actually ran into trouble in bare P-G with only one petal folding out and I suspect it was a fluke. The two loads utilizing Hornady bullets had problems with heavy cloth.

I will say that I am impressed with the variety of .380 loads available today and the level of effort the ammo makers have put into that caliber.

I'll probably see my concealed carry instructor today. I know he carries .380 Golden Sabres, so I'll see if I can score a couple rounds for a test. I have to filter and remold my P-G this weekend, so don't expect to see results posted for several days it I get the freebie Golden Sabres.