View Single Post

Old 10-26-2007, 01:32 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,161 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnutred View Post
Has anyone seen a US issue sidearm that they feel confident was given such treatment during the war?
Hi Walnutred:

I have come to believe that almost anything is possible when it comes to USGI small arms, so I suppose it is possible that some ordnance outfit somewhere plated a pistol or two during WW2. I would be less inclined to believe that had occurred if the pistols involved were US Property. (We have all seen nickeled Lugers and P-38s over the years.)

However, as a general proposition unauthorized modifications to US Property, and especially small arms, is and has been prohibited by the military for many years. I am sure there were instances where it has occurred, particularly during wartime, but not as a matter of course.

Authorized modifications, such a nickel plating, are a different matter. Examples that come to mind are the M1903A3, M-1 Garand and M-14 rifles that have been plated for use by ceremonial units of the military. Another outstanding example that is more relevant to your inquiry is the Victory Models that were plated in the 1950s by the USAF for use by the Strategic Air Command's Elite Guard. Below is a pic from my Victory archives that shows a member of the Elite Guard with that unit's unique revolver and holster combo. The revolvers were nickel plated Victories with Franzite faux-stag grips (!). The holsters were cross-draw. As is well known the Air Force later went to the Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, in blue finish, certainly a more conventional look than the Victories were.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

The Following 2 Users Like Post: