Thread: 357 Mags in Nam
View Single Post

Old 02-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Liked 9,187 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by handejector:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lionhound:
Here's the link to Paco Kelly's article that mentions use of primitive body armor by the Vietnamese:http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...l_handguns.htm
I read part of that link, but eventually started laughing so hard I could not focus. His reference to body armor:
"I did two TDY tours in Southeast Asia...and had occasion to use the magnum several times. Once firing thru a boiler plated idiot with a sword that came screaming into our A-Camp one night." Now I remember- MANY VC wore boiler plate around. It made them easy to ID. That, and the long swords......
He talks of being an "Intel Officer" that trained troops in Africa- in small arms! He mentions that he took this with him- "A Colt S/A in 45 Colt and a second barrel and cylinder for 44 special." Interesting- I guess he just grabbed that ol' barrel, and unscrewed it by hand whenever he hankered for a change.

The clencher-
" trained their training personnel, in the use of the small arms the U.S. was giving them. From the 38 Special up thru the 105 Recoilless Rifle. The Recoilless was mounted on jeeps and the aiming system was a 50 cal. Browning Machine Gun. You would walk the 50 BMG rounds into the target and then fire the 105..."

He MEANT to say the 106mm Recoiless Rifle. They do NOT have a 50 cal MACHINE gun mounted on them- they have a 50 cal Semi-Auto, that takes a shorter cartridge than the 50 BMG. Trust me- I HAVE actually fired them....
I don't have my reference here in the office, but I do believe there was a 105mm RCL, but it wasn't successful and dropped out of the system (if it ever made it in) long before Vietnam.

I'm always tickled by people with JUST enough knowledge to prove themselves liars about a particular subject. There was a guy in usenet years ago who talked about how his grandfather carried a "full-auto 8ga. shotgun" in WWI. Similarly, there's actually a quite well known usenet "kook" who fancies himself a "dad's rights advocate". Really, he's just a misogynist, bully and pathological liar who was in "Air Force Special Forces in Vietnam, when all of the Special Forces units were together"... or at least that was his story. That prompted a comment from me about the "Parachute Ski-Marines" that stuck for YEARS.

One day he started running his mouth about how AK47s and their "500 round magazines" should be banned. I took especially great pleasure in holding him up as a liar.
The Following User Likes This Post: