View Single Post

Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 PM

Liked 520 Times in 264 Posts

So many good choices...you can't go wrong with a tube fed .22.

Depends on the money you want to spend, and how much you want to spend too...

If you can afford it, a Marlin 39, a Winchester 62 (if it is in good shape) or a Winchester 9422 or Browning BL-22 are the tops of the line in my book. A Taurus or Rossi will work in the place of a Winchester pump .22, but I recommend having it recrowned if needed but you will definitely need a set of Marbles or Lyman sights for it- the factory ones are too coarse for accurate plinking. Many people love the little Henry rifles, and they shoot great- but I just personally can't get over the pot metal receiver and it being a copy of the Ithaca. You may want to take look at them.

Secondly, I'd recommend any of the bolt action tube fed guns- Remington 341 or any in this series, Marlin tube fed bolt action, or even one of the good shooting Mossberg bolt rifles if you by chance find one.

Lastly, the semi auto category- the sometimes maligned Marlin 60 is a great gun if you keep it clean, I own one that shoots without a hiccup. Or you can grab a J.M. Browning design in the Browning Auto-22 or perhaps a Winchester 63. Both tube fed, but from the stock.

That's as much as I can throw out in one thing. Of all of the guns mentioned above, I like my Remington 341P (peep sight) and the 9422.
They always go to the range.