View Single Post

Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default first S&W

My first Smith was a Model 10, 4 inch. Bought it in 1964. I was so ignorant of Smiths that I thought this was the only gun they made. Walked into Buckhorns, Dallas, Tx, the summer of 1966. Saw my first 29. Had to ask Mr. Hodge what it was. A week later I went back to try to buy it or trade him out of it. It was gone.

Did not see another until I walked into Jim Ferris' little shop on Jefferson St., Dallas. He did not have one, but knew where one was. He called this man; waited 45 mins for him to show. He brings in a pristine, 4" five screw in the original box w/ all the stuff. Did not know what I was looking at; gave the man $200. I was disappointed because it was not a 6.5". Sometime later I gave the 4" and $75 to Wylies Gun Shop, Dallas, for a 6.5. What a dumb trade. The 6.5 was probably 85-90%. A three screw to boot. The stupidity of youth.

Like some of you others, had many 29s and 629s down thru the years. All were P&R; all different barrel lengths. I even obtained 2 more 5 screw, 4" 29s. Don't have any of them now.

Currently, have a love affair with the old .44 Spec. Got this bug from reading Skeeter Skelton. Never got to meet him, but met Bill Jordan at a Ft. Worth Gunshow in Nov of '89. What a treat getting to meet a historical person in the gun world. He appeared to be a real nice person. Bob in Texas