View Single Post

Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

There are a few foreign copies that were made in Spain and Germany, that are equal to S&W's quality. Doug Wesson visited the Spanish gun makers in Eibar before WW2 and was shown a copy of the Triple Lock that he said was ever bit as good as the S&W made T-Locks. Germany's Ludwig Loewe made excellent copies of the S&W Russian models. In the US, the only "copy" I've seen that you could not tell the difference from a S&W DA, if you didn't look at the barrel rib stamping, was the .38 DA & .32 revolvers made by Marlin. Many years ago I bought a small collection of high end engraved S&W .38 DAs. I had them several weeks before I notice that one of them said "Marlin Firearms Co." on the barrel rib! It was a Nimschke engraved, gold plated gun with pearl grips, or I would have noticed the difference in the logo on the S&W & Marlin hard rubber grips. The man that I bought the collection from had never looked at the barrel stamping he said! Later on, when looking thru some old correspondence at the S&W Archives ( before CVHM) I found some correspondence that indicated in the 1880s Marlin had bought rough forged frames from S&W for the DAs, so that would explain the very close dimensions of the two companies frames for their .38DAs.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: