View Single Post

Old 06-15-2009, 06:28 PM

Liked 832 Times in 293 Posts
Default 1911 or N frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29aholic View Post
If you place a Commander next to a 2 1/2" K frame you'll find they are the same overall size, but the flatter auto is easier to CCW
I'll add my $.02 here. I have done the same comparison with my 2 1/2" 19 and a Glock 23. About the same overall size, but the Glock is thinner and holds double the ammo +2. While I would not feel under-gunned with the 19, the extra ammo margin of the G23 cannot be ignored. A Commander sized 1911 is certainly more concealable than any N-frame and is thinner than a Glock. While we still were issued revolvers in the late 70's and early 80's I carried a Lightweight Commander off-duty. I no longer have it and desire for another. Being a lefty meant having an ambi safety installed. Today, many customs come with that option. I guess the point here Beemer is that you are obviously competent with that 1911. The choice is clear. Maybe a 442 BUG will satisfy your S&W loyalty while equipping you with a reliable back up. I'll probably stick to the Glock. I've trained heavily with that since 1989, however a nice Kimber (they're all nice) could persuade me to focus on practice in the 1911 discipline.