Thread: m&p vs sw9ve
View Single Post

Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs764 View Post
The M&P's come with 3 different back straps so they're adaptable to many more peoples hands. I use the small back strap to get a better grip on the gun, the Sigma doesn't allow you to do this..1 size fits all.
Also, field stripping the M&P is as easy as locking the slide back, rotate the takedown lever, squeeze the trigger and the slide comes right off the frame ETA...15 seconds
"....squeeze the trigger....." That's exactly why the takedown tool exists, so you don't have to squeeze the trigger. Smith and many other manufacturers have seen owners/users have accidental discharges from there still being one in the chamber when someone pulls that same stunt.

You may wish to bypass it, but please don't tell someone else to do so. It isn't what's called for in the manual and every M&P has had and still has the tool.
Let the owner decide for him/herself if that's something they wish to risk.

As for ease of takedown, I field strip all my M&Ps in less than 15 seconds, including getting the tool out and using it to trip the sear deactivation lever on the M&P series. It's nothing. If you don't wish to take the tool out, use a pen, a fingernail, anything, but trip the lever and you won't have to "squeeze the trigger" to take it down.

Regarding Simas vs M&P...two different animals. Sigmas were designed to compete with Glock (so much, in fact, that Smith got sued by Glock). It's an OK entry level semi auto that has had it's run of issues. Some do...some don't. That's where Smith's outstanding warranty comes in. M&Ps aren't immune to problems. One of my 9 compacts was sent in because it had fail to eject issues, its sights were WAY off from the factory and the trigger was grittier than most M&Ps. By the way, I have four of them and I use 3 of them almost daily for training. My full size is just over 8 months old and has 10,000+ rounds through it with no issues. On the other hand, that 9c came back with new sights, trigger work, some barrel/ramp work and a new extractor. I have night sights on it and a Crimson Trace grip. It's now my favorite. I use the CT laser grip to teach sight control. There's nothing better than to watch someone try to keep a laser pointer still while they smoothly squeeze the trigger.

In any case, see which one fits you better. That's the first step. I'd venture to say theM&P does, as it does the majority of hands. Then, go make every shot count at the range. Don't just throw rounds downrange. A waste of time, money and effort.

Be safe-(and use your sear deactivation lever and follow the manufacturer's instructions for your pistol. They're there for a reason.) I've included a pic of M&P field stripped. Tool slides up into the back of the butt of the grip. It doubles as the thing that holds the removable/interchangable backstrap on. Drop the magazine, pull the slide back, triple check to make sure you've cleared your pistol, turn the tool 90 degrees and pull it from the frame (they're tight when they're new). With the end of the tool, push down the small yellow wire-like piece in the chamber. That's the sear deactivation lever. Rotate the external takedown lever to the 6 o'clock position. Carefully release the slide. It comes right off. Use a finger to depress the spring, remove it and the barrel. That's it. Literally 15 seconds for me. For someone that's never done it and is doing it in the dark...maybe a minute.

BJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg take down tool.jpg (11.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg field stripped M&P.jpg (56.7 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by vnmous1; 06-22-2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Addition of take down tool photo