View Single Post

Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,067 Times in 1,770 Posts

If you are looking for agreement on it should be altered to another chambering, you've come to the wrong place. I'm a strong believer in old guns should be left just as made. A good example is the number of Webley's that were whizzed off to shoot .45 ACP/AR. Really has done a number on their value and desirability. I would think that it would be even moreso on yours. You would be taking what is a fairly scarce gun (admittedly, with a quite small market) and turning it into what? a shooter without much collector value.
Of course, I am one of the "I don't need to shoot everything I own" group.
I have those that I shoot and many that I don't. Were I of the other camp, I suppose I would load up some BP or really low pressure smokeless loads and give it a try. Either that or get rid of it and use the money toward something more shootable. Over the years I have had quite a few guns that I took out and shot, just to see how they worked. I've discovered that most of them go "bang" and aren't especially accurate. I shoot maybe 20-30 rounds through them and decided that if I'm going to spend time shooting, I should be using something accurate and practice improving my skills. So they go back in the safe or in a display and my "users" go to the range.
But, that's just me. (I don't even like to see an old gun refinished unless it is a real disaster area.)
SWCA #680 SWHF #446