View Single Post

Old 06-25-2009, 06:29 AM

Liked 657 Times in 369 Posts

"I just don't like the muzzle flash you get from that powder."

I guess that for the vast majority of us who do not use .44 magnum ammo in tactical situations, hunt at night or are concerned about giving away our position to the next deer we shoot for fear of taking returned fire, it provides fine service indeed. H110 was originally a mil surplus propellant used in .30 cal carbine ammo. Most powders originally sold by Hodgdon were.

I've shot a fair amount on AA#9 but, while similar to H110/W296, is not as good IMO. I can't speak to WC820 because it's not a commonly available commercial grade canister propellant.

What H110/W296 will do is provide maximum velocity, extremely accurate ammunition at lower chamber pressures than most other propellants at similar velocities and at lower perceived recoil impulses. For 99% of recreational shooters of magnum level ammunition, that fills he bill to a tee. For those shooters who would sacrifice some ballistic performance for stealth capabilities, there are other choices. Incidentally, muzzle flash with H110/W296 lessens as bullet weight goes up in every loading so there is substantially more with 180 grain .44 magnum loads than 240 grain and so on. Also, cast bullet will generate less flash than jacketed of the same weight. For my part, I might tolerate less velocity at the same or better accuracy levels with rifle ammunition but not with handgun loads.

I guess that in the end, only you can decide what matters to you and what trade-offs your willing to make.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceM; 06-25-2009 at 06:34 AM.