View Single Post

Old 06-28-2009, 12:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
I didn't say that revolvers and autos feel the same,
When things go bad you will default to your training. Suppose you lose the use of your support hand. Try shooting that auto one handed (right AND left) with your "thumbs-forward" grip and let me know how it works out for you. Maybe that will help you understand what I'm talking about.
I practice both strong and weak hand drills at *every* range outing. Again, using a high and forward thumb on autos produces the most stable platform, and the best results. Phsyically speaking, it will always produce a more torsionally rigid platform by speading the extent of your lateral contact over a longer vertical span. Also, on any auto with a frame-mounted safety, such a grip ensures that the safety is off when you are commencing firing.

While I do train for USPSA, I also train for self-defense, and take it very seriously - far moreso than gaming.

Also, I do get tired of people putting down the practical shooting sports because they are "gaming, not training". The basic skills you will either acquire or improve in the practical shooting sports are completely applicable to real-life usage. The thing is to realize what aspects are just part of the game, and which aren't. The actual core gun-handling skills are the same - it's still all about trigger control, sight alignment, and recoil management. Also, while not equivalent to the stress experienced in a real-life shootout, the added competitive aspect of the sports does add an extra element of stress that isn't there for static range shooting and basic training. Feeling the pressure of "the clock" helps you understand how things can go out the window when you thought you had it under control.

To reiterate - the practical shooting sports can help you greatly improve defensive firearms skills, as long as you know what to take from them, and what to leave on the course.

Again, have you experimented with the thumbs-forward technique on autos at the range? If you have, fine - if not, don't go knocking something like this until you've tried it for yourself.