View Single Post

Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,096 Times in 1,249 Posts

Hi AZ Desertrat;

I really like the Model 10 snub. I've found that it'll hide most places the Model 36 will and the Model 10 snub is easier to shoot well. It holds six rounds to the J-Frame revolver's five. It offers a better grip (at least with factory stocks) and soaks up recoil better. It is easier to shoot with good accuracy for me. I like my Model 10 4-inch best but will occasionally carry either a Model 10 2-inch round butt or an older M&P square butt IWB or, in cool weather, a jacket pocket.

Realistically though, if one can effectively carry a 2-inch Model 10 IWB he can also manage a 4-inch with the right holster. Lots of folks are drawn to the Model 10 3-inch revolvers.

From memory I think the Model 10 revolvers have the following weight specifications.

4-inch Heavy Barrel: 34 oz.
4-inch standard barrel: 32 oz.
2-inch barrel 30 oz.

The Model 36 with 2-inch barrel weighs 19 oz.

The knowledgeable will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong about the weights.

I have some J-Frame .38 Special revolvers but, over the years, have found that I don't choose to carry them as often as the good ol' K-Frame guns.

Model 10 2-inch round butt from 1996

Early 50s Military & Police 2-inch square butt from before model numbers were assigned.

Generic run-of-the-mill beater 4-inch Model 10s, Heavy Barrel and standard tapered barrel

Early Chief Special from before the Model 36 designation
The Following 4 Users Like Post: