Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > General Topics > Concealed Carry & Self Defense

Concealed Carry & Self Defense All aspects of Concealed and Open Carry, Home and Self Defense.


View Poll Results: Preferred carry cartridge
9mm 85 32.32%
22LR 1 0.38%
45 ACP 39 14.83%
45 Long Colt 4 1.52%
357 Magnum 19 7.22%
38 Special 61 23.19%
380 ACP 23 8.75%
40 S&W 9 3.42%
25 ACP 2 0.76%
Other 20 7.60%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 06-12-2024, 09:54 PM
BabaBlueJay's Avatar
BabaBlueJay BabaBlueJay is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Ohio
Posts: 680
Likes: 1,952
Liked 1,072 Times in 389 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC38 View Post
The choices that are missing in this poll are the +P rounds in 38 special, 9mm, and 45ACP...
Yeah, I think you could count those in the base for each caliber. I couldn't possibly fit everything in the poll though. For the purposes of the poll I'd assume 38 special includes +P as well as the other examples you listed.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 06-13-2024, 02:31 PM
Goldstar225 Goldstar225 is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Austin, AR
Posts: 1,411
Likes: 1,649
Liked 2,448 Times in 761 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model29-26.5 View Post
With that said, if thereís a bad guy with a gun and heís going nuts, Iíd be happy to see one of you guys stop him as quick as possible, in which case a SW bodyguard is small and powerful enough.
I understand your reluctance to defend yourself and potentially take a human life. It's your life and you have an absolute right to make that choice.

Where I take issue is your hope that others place themselves in jeopardy for your sake when you are unwilling to do so yourself.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #103  
Old 06-13-2024, 08:57 PM
BC38's Avatar
BC38 BC38 is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 13,794
Likes: 1,260
Liked 18,853 Times in 7,469 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaBlueJay View Post
Yeah, I think you could count those in the base for each caliber. I couldn't possibly fit everything in the poll though. For the purposes of the poll I'd assume 38 special includes +P as well as the other examples you listed.
Gotcha....
__________________
Send lawyers, guns & money...
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 06-14-2024, 01:58 PM
SGT ROCK 11B SGT ROCK 11B is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Mar 2023
Location: American Legion Post 1
Posts: 988
Likes: 1,303
Liked 1,062 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
I understand your reluctance to defend yourself and potentially take a human life. It's your life and you have an absolute right to make that choice.

Where I take issue is your hope that others place themselves in jeopardy for your sake when you are unwilling to do so yourself.
That is why you and I are LEOs.

If you do Statistics. Three out of four LEOs can take a life. Only one out of seven can do the same in the general population.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 06-14-2024, 03:02 PM
petepeterson's Avatar
petepeterson petepeterson is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,092
Likes: 6,354
Liked 4,962 Times in 1,922 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29since14 View Post
It is interesting, in an unscientific sense. I too would have expected (guessed) different numbers, thinking the younger guys might have said 9mm and the older types .45 Auto. As usual, I was wrong. .38 Special outdistanced .45 by quite a ways. Of course speculation about age group preferences is merely that.

Much as I like the P365, and use it most often, it is not what I prefer. Laziness prevents me from using the .45 most often, but itís what I prefer.
I think the .38 gets a lot of traction out of being the top dog for CCW revolvers.

I feel exactly the same way about my 365. It's with me the most, but doesn't do anything for me when it's time to enjoy shooting.
__________________
Because of the metric system?
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 06-14-2024, 03:03 PM
petepeterson's Avatar
petepeterson petepeterson is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,092
Likes: 6,354
Liked 4,962 Times in 1,922 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT ROCK 11B View Post
That is why you and I are LEOs.

If you do Statistics. Three out of four LEOs can take a life. Only one out of seven can do the same in the general population.
That's some serious science right there.
__________________
Because of the metric system?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #107  
Old 06-14-2024, 03:11 PM
BC38's Avatar
BC38 BC38 is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 13,794
Likes: 1,260
Liked 18,853 Times in 7,469 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT ROCK 11B View Post
If you do Statistics. Three out of four LEOs can take a life. Only one out of seven can do the same in the general population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson View Post
That's some serious science right there.
Yeah I thought that was interesting too.
How did they define who could and who couldn't? I'm sure it isn't based on who actually HAS taken a life or even shot someone - no way 3 out of 4 LEOs have actually killed someone, nor have 1 in 7 non-LEOs ever even shot their gun in self defense.
Is this just the statistical results of having been asked a lot of people the question "could you take a life"?
So, how were those statistics compiled, by whom, and do you have a link?
Inquiring minds want to know
__________________
Send lawyers, guns & money...

Last edited by BC38; 06-14-2024 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 06-14-2024, 03:15 PM
lrrifleman's Avatar
lrrifleman lrrifleman is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 4,706
Likes: 19,166
Liked 4,208 Times in 1,877 Posts
Default

For the poll, I selected the 9mm, but it would be a toss up between the 9mm and the 380. 380 because of minimal recoil, and I can accurately place shots into a fist-sized group within 21 feet. 9mm, because it is more readily available.
__________________
Judge control not gun control!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #109  
Old 06-14-2024, 03:31 PM
petepeterson's Avatar
petepeterson petepeterson is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,092
Likes: 6,354
Liked 4,962 Times in 1,922 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC38 View Post
Yeah I thought that was interesting too.
How did they define who could and who couldn't? I'm sure it isn't based on who actually HAS taken a life or even shot someone - no way 3 out of 4 LEOs have actually killed someone, nor have 1 in 7 non-LEOs ever even shot their gun in self defense.
Is this just the statistical results of having been asked a lot of people the question "could you take a life"?
So, how were those statistics compiled, by whom, and do you have a link?
Inquiring minds want to know
You spent way too much time analyzing it. It's just science. Trust it.
__________________
Because of the metric system?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #110  
Old 06-14-2024, 03:36 PM
BC38's Avatar
BC38 BC38 is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 13,794
Likes: 1,260
Liked 18,853 Times in 7,469 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson View Post
You spent way too much time analyzing it. It's just science. Trust it.
Yeah, statistics show that the majority of people will believe almost anything you say if you preface it with the words "statistics say..."
__________________
Send lawyers, guns & money...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #111  
Old 06-22-2024, 08:31 AM
chief38's Avatar
chief38 chief38 is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 18,067
Likes: 8,059
Liked 26,517 Times in 8,891 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
Frankly, I don't see a significant difference between 9 mm and .38 Spl +P. This time of year the one handgun I don't go out of the house without is an old/ancient High Standard derringer loaded with .22 Mag snake shot. Others many also be along for the ride out here in rural America.
Recently over the last decade, the 9mm cartridge has improved quite a bit with offerings from Federal (HST), Speer (Gold Dot) and Winchester. It seems that because the 9mm Micro pistols are so popular these days as carry pistols, the cartridge companies have set their focus on those instead of the waning .38 special.

The real advantages of the 9mm over the .38 special is not so much the cartridges themselves, but rather the guns that carry them. Wheel guns have decreased in large number over the last decade in favor of new light, small, high capacity 9mm's. People are now using their revolvers more for Range duty than for self defense purposes and the cartridge company's see where their bread is buttered.

Not saying the .38 special cartridge isn't still a good cartridge for self defense, just saying that the guns that shoot them are being somewhat obsoleted by the new crop of micro 9's and .380's. BTW, don't necessarily go by what your read here on this Forum as many of us are older, diehard revolver aficionado's who will never give up their wheel guns for self defense - got that! Look at new gun sales instead.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #112  
Old 06-22-2024, 11:08 PM
BabaBlueJay's Avatar
BabaBlueJay BabaBlueJay is offline
Member
Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge? Preferred every day carry cartridge?  
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Ohio
Posts: 680
Likes: 1,952
Liked 1,072 Times in 389 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
Recently over the last decade, the 9mm cartridge has improved quite a bit with offerings from Federal (HST), Speer (Gold Dot) and Winchester. It seems that because the 9mm Micro pistols are so popular these days as carry pistols, the cartridge companies have set their focus on those instead of the waning .38 special.

The real advantages of the 9mm over the .38 special is not so much the cartridges themselves, but rather the guns that carry them. Wheel guns have decreased in large number over the last decade in favor of new light, small, high capacity 9mm's. People are now using their revolvers more for Range duty than for self defense purposes and the cartridge company's see where their bread is buttered.

Not saying the .38 special cartridge isn't still a good cartridge for self defense, just saying that the guns that shoot them are being somewhat obsoleted by the new crop of micro 9's and .380's. BTW, don't necessarily go by what your read here on this Forum as many of us are older, diehard revolver aficionado's who will never give up their wheel guns for self defense - got that! Look at new gun sales instead.
This is exactly the issue. It is why I switched from 38 special to 22LR revolver. I prefer a revolver over an auto because that is what I have thousands of rounds of experience with. That being said, I noticed how small the section for 38/357/44 was in comparison to 22/9mm/380 especially 22/9mm.

The cost of 38 is insane compared to 9mm and as you correctly note less and less guns are being made for the round. I'm 36 and other than one person I am close with, every other person my age carries a micro 9. Add to that, the fact that 9mm is the preferred military handgun cartridge and the ammo companies have far more incentive to pump out 9mm.

As much as I love 38/357 I just see a bleak future for most revolver calibers.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What cartridge do you carry? Cal44 Concealed Carry & Self Defense 39 06-23-2014 10:06 PM
What has become my preferred carry piece... No Quarter S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 41 09-24-2011 12:06 PM
What's your preferred carry method for your J frame? ab4ka Concealed Carry & Self Defense 48 12-09-2010 06:35 PM
Women, what is your preferred carry method afriqueart Concealed Carry & Self Defense 17 07-20-2009 09:43 PM
preferred 9mm carry piece? Ed333 Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 43 06-03-2009 07:58 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)