Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 05-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please! Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please! Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please! Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please! Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please!  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please!

Hi All!

First...let me take a moment to thank all of the Vets on this forum. We owe you everything...

My uncle passed several years ago, leaving a large gun collection. Several family members received guns. I have two that I think someone might want. They have been sitting in my closet for years...and I think it's such a waste.

I was hoping you could help me identify the Smith & Wesson 38 Special CTG, SN# 155353. It has beautiful Pearl handles (one side has a Bulls face)?

I have searched the links included on these pages...but I can't find that serial number?

Can someone help?

Also...can you tell me a reasonable price for it...and where's a good place to sell it. I would rate it Good to very good condition.

I have it professionally cleaned a few years ago...fired a few rounds, cleaned again, and placed in a gun bag. It has been there ever since.

Pictures:

DSC01248.jpg Photo by dcarter4 | Photobucket

I'm hoping someone can make good use of this fine revolver.

Sincerely,

Dwayne
Old 05-30-2016, 06:11 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please! Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please! Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please! Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please! Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please!  
Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

From the serial number, which includes the C in front of the six digits, it is an early-1950s M&P. Since the trigger and hammer appear to be nickel-plated, it has probably been refinished. I cannot comment on the carved stocks, as that's outside my expertise.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:04 PM
US Veteran
Liked 19,371 Times in 6,954 Posts

Yes. Absalom is correct - very early 1950s .38 Military & Police revolver (my guess would be about 1951 - I have one just a few numbers lower).
I also agree that the nickel is not original, although someone was smart enough to not over-polish the sideplate, except at the screw holes, which are now too deep.
The carved stocks are reminiscent of the Wolf & Klar stocks, but I don't think that is what they are.
This gun will make a good shooter for someone, but it is not collectible in its current condition.
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-31-2016, 10:58 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow...thank you for the quick response!

I guess I will just keep it. It doesn't appear to have any monetary value..but I know he liked it.

Thanks again!

Dwayne
Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 PM
US Veteran
Liked 19,371 Times in 6,954 Posts

Right choice. It is a family heirloom and has more value to you and your kin than it will in the market.
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
Old 05-31-2016, 12:07 PM
Can you tell me about my uncles gun, Please!  
Liked 678 Times in 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymariah View Post

I guess I will just keep it. It doesn't appear to have any monetary value..but I know he liked it.

Thanks again!

Dwayne
He obviously liked it, he did a good job customizing it, or paid the right people to do the job. The collectors hate refinished guns and want original grips. But the gun as it is reflects how your uncle wanted it to look. Are you right handed? That steer head is meant to fill your hand and improve your grip. Plus it just looks nice.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:31 PM
US Veteran
Liked 18,993 Times in 5,595 Posts

That is a beauty.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:25 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 10,822 Times in 3,691 Posts

welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! That's a nice old pre-Model 10. Although the gun doesn't carry much value except as a shooter, the carved pearls do. They are quite collectable. The package looks like your uncle's Sunday-go-to-meeting gun (AKA "Barbecue Gun". Did he have a holster rig to go with it?
SWHF #474 SWCA LM#2629
Old 05-31-2016, 05:50 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiregrassguy View Post
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! That's a nice old pre-Model 10. Although the gun doesn't carry much value except as a shooter, the carved pearls do. They are quite collectable. The package looks like your uncle's Sunday-go-to-meeting gun (AKA "Barbecue Gun". Did he have a holster rig to go with it?
I remember a nice holster...but it didn't survive the "Family" sticky hands!

Thanks again for all the info!

Dwayne
Old 05-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Liked 1,923 Times in 956 Posts

No expert,but I'm inclined to think that the grips went through the Texas shop of Wolf and Klar,(though a true expert will know if they are only in the style of W&K)and that they predate the gun by at least twenty years,and are more valuable than the gun itself.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:18 PM

Liked 4,317 Times in 2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymariah View Post

Thanks again!

Dwayne
I wouldn't say it has no value, it's just not what could be considered Collectable. What you have is typically called a "Shooter", meaning a handgun purchased simply to enjoy shooting it. As such I would place the retail value in the range of 200-300 dollars and the wholesale value at 40% of the retail value. I'd suggest that you keep it and occasionally take it out for an afternoon of shooting while thinking about good memories of your uncle.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 PM
Liked 88 Times in 53 Posts

If you do want to sell it on a website like Gunbroker, or through a big national auction house, you might be surprised at how much it could go for; provided that more than one bidder takes a fancy to the unique grips. But if different bidders don't push each other, then not so much. There is probably no way to know in advance where the bidding might end up.