Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 AM
Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun

Hello. I'm new here and first wanted to say hello to everyone.
I'm no big time collector, but am slowly building the small collection I do have.
One of the firearms I have is an S&W semi-auto handgun, .35 caliber. I know it's a rare gun, in that only around 8k of them were made, and I know .35 ammo is rare too. My handgun was given to my grandfather, by his boss. Grandfather worked for a mining supply company, and back then it was not common to write checks to pay one's bills. Even mining companies paid cash for the equipment they bought. So, Grandad carried a lot of cash with him, company money.
Anyway, my grandfather never fired the handgun. He gave it to my father who might have shot 50 rounds, and then it came to me, and I've not fired the handgun in years, and overall, maybe 20 rounds. The piece has probably 98% of the original finish in excellent condition. I'm just curious about what the thing might be worth. It's not my intention to sell it, but need a number to give to my insurance company. Anyone with any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun Grandfather's .35 S&W Semi Auto handgun  
Liked 1,171 Times in 373 Posts
Smile

Dick,
First off, welcome to the forum. I'm surprised no one has replied yet so I'll give it the first shot. Your right, 8350 we're produced and there a few variations with minor modifications that were done during it's production. I know the very earliest examples do hold a little more value than later models, from what I recall. If you get a chance to look at a S&W standard catalog then it further describes the many variations and the serial number ranges. Assuming it has no box or tools I wold put a ballpark value at around $1000 for a good insurance estimate. Maybe it would be hard to sell it at that price but would likely cover your costs if you needed to replace it. These aren't my expertise so maybe someone else will chime in.

Last edited by dacoontz; 02-20-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:50 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,723 Times in 2,634 Posts

Welcome to the forum. That's a splashy way to introduce yourself. There are heirloom guns and rare guns, but not everyone has the good fortune to own a rare heirloom gun! Any chance you can post photos of it?

I'm hesitant to offer valuation thoughts on a .35 auto since I know so little about them. But I would think a gun in that condition would bring $1000 at auction, and more if two deep-pocket gotta-have-it types start slugging it out for ownership. I'd probably insure it for at least $1500 on the grounds that it is better to go a little high on an heirloom than a little low.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM
US Veteran
Liked 359 Times in 139 Posts

I had one many years ago, and found some ammo and shot it, later found the ammo was around $2 a round.
They are interesting little pistols, and extremely well made, if of odd design. The grips are mounted using steel brackets-they slide off from the top down, IIRC, and many were broken because people attempted to pry them off. My pistol had a small safety located on the left front of the grip frame that was squeezed when gripping the pistol and was also broken off easily if snagged in a pocket. I recall some people shot .32 ACP's out of them which fired, but split the cases and I am sure were not accurate. I bought mine back in the 1970's, and have seen maybe 2 others for sale since, one in very good condition, one not. I'd just clean it and keep it as a family treasure. You are fortunate to have it.

mark
Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Liked 5,677 Times in 2,190 Posts

Welcome from Texas Dick Brewster. Great forum for all things S&W, have fun, learn lots, share what you know.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Liked 68 Times in 43 Posts

I didn't know that about the grips. They must have "borrowed" that idea from the Savage Company.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:43 PM
US Veteran
Liked 359 Times in 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyphotog View Post
I didn't know that about the grips. They must have "borrowed" that idea from the Savage Company.
I think they borrowed quite a lot on the .35...it is a strange little gun, unlike anything Smith has made before or since. I think S&W took a lot of this design from a european pistol, but I can't recall which one...I do recall it is a challenge to take apart and even more so to re assemble.
I think it is certainly one of their more interesting autos.

mark

ADDED: The wood grips are pinned to a steel plate by 2 pins about halfway up the grip panels, and the steel flange formed by the backing plate slides into grooves on the grip frame, held in place by 1 screw per side near the bottom center. Evidently many of the grips were damaged by people trying to pry them loose, not realizing they were easily slid off from the top down. I am certain there are no replacements anywhere.

Last edited by dogngun; 02-28-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Liked 125 Times in 54 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dick! You've come to the right place for info.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WelcomeDick, the pistol originally started out as a 1909 Clement which S&W after they bought the tooling added the grip safety and then they screwed it up(IMO) by changing the calibre to 35. Just a little more info for you....best regards.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:12 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 8,981 Times in 3,564 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You will find quite a bit of information here and folks willing to share it. The 32 and the 35 semi automatics are neat little guns and due to the different variations can become a collection all by themselves. You have gotten quite a bit of good information all ready, however, there is a separate forum section for the semi automatics. You may wish to post your inquiry there as well as there may be some real serious 32 or 35 collectors lurking there with buckets of info.
LM #497
Old 09-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Taking apart and wood grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogngun View Post
I think they borrowed quite a lot on the .35...it is a strange little gun, unlike anything Smith has made before or since. I think S&W took a lot of this design from a european pistol, but I can't recall which one...I do recall it is a challenge to take apart and even more so to re assemble.
I think it is certainly one of their more interesting autos.

mark

ADDED: The wood grips are pinned to a steel plate by 2 pins about halfway up the grip panels, and the steel flange formed by the backing plate slides into grooves on the grip frame, held in place by 1 screw per side near the bottom center. Evidently many of the grips were damaged by people trying to pry them loose, not realizing they were easily slid off from the top down. I am certain there are no replacements anywhere.
I'm aware of uniqueness of the wood grips and how they have to come of. Grips on mine are in great shape. The original varnish is worn, but the wood is in great shape.

About taking it apart: To open it up enough for cleaning, it's very easy. Just pull the trigger guard out of where it clips in at the bottom and swivel it upward. Then holding the grip, pull the barell up, and it swivels up and back so it can be cleaned and you have access to the hammer and other parts for basic cleaning.

Interesting, too, is the way you pull the slide back to chamber a shell. Rather than pull against the recoil spring like most semi-autos, you push an button and by-pass the spring altogether. So it's really easy to work the short slide on the piece. I did recently find a place what sells .35 ACP ammo. They are fresh reloads and cost abut 2 bucks a round.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Safeties

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogngun View Post
I had one many years ago, and found some ammo and shot it, later found the ammo was around $2 a round.
They are interesting little pistols, and extremely well made, if of odd design. The grips are mounted using steel brackets-they slide off from the top down, IIRC, and many were broken because people attempted to pry them off. My pistol had a small safety located on the left front of the grip frame that was squeezed when gripping the pistol and was also broken off easily if snagged in a pocket. I recall some people shot .32 ACP's out of them which fired, but split the cases and I am sure were not accurate. I bought mine back in the 1970's, and have seen maybe 2 others for sale since, one in very good condition, one not. I'd just clean it and keep it as a family treasure. You are fortunate to have it.

mark
Yes Mark, you have to squeeze the safety you're talking about or the trigger wouldn't pull. There is another safety on my piece. It's a small knurled wheel about half of which is exposed and it's located right on the back of the grip. Problem is, it hits me right in the web between my thumb and forefinger. The rough texture of it irritates that area on my hand.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That S&W gun is on my list but in my area it's a bit pricey. I will add one sometime in the future as I think it's a great one to have in a collection.

Tags
s&w, savage