Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol. Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol. Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol. Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol. Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol.  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol.

Here are the markings:

Gun Barrel - 38 S&W Special CTG.
Marcas Registradas

Butt - C 343498

Cylinder - 343498

Frame - D

Can I get some info help, history, and perhaps a price range? Anything is appreciated.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol. Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol. Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol. Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol. Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol.  
Liked 13,416 Times in 3,292 Posts

There is no D frame Smith. D frame is a Colt. You have a K frame Military & Police Model made in the early-mid 1950s.

In good shape a 4" M&P brings $300-$400. More if a 2" barrel. Slightly more if a 5" barrel. This model becomes the Model 10 in 1957.

All those letters and such are factory assembly numbers. Not significant to us.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 6,099 Times in 1,249 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like a mid-1950s K-Frame Military & Police to me. Smith & Wesson can provide a shipping date and original destination. Such revolvers became the Model 10 a few years later.

As to price range it could be worth anything from $75.00 for a shootable, but poorly refinished clunk to perhaps $800 for a new-in-the-box 2-inch nickel cream puff.

Does it still have it's original finish? How worn is the finish? Is it blue or nickel? Does it have a 2, 4, 5, or 6 inch barrel? Has it been modified by a former owner?

We love photos!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcome and info!

Yes, my 38 has the original blue finish which is slightly worn down the barrel and on the cylinder edges from being carried in a holster. (I'll get some pictures up tomorrow or Monday.)

It's a 5" barrel. No modifications and has the original wood handles with the round, brass S&W insignia.

It's the straightest, smoothest shooting handgun I've ever shot. It's not out-of-the-box perfect, but it's in good condition.

Which set of numbers is the actual serial number (on the butt & cylinder, or on the frame)?

Does it cost to do a background check with S&W?

What's the purpose for leaving off the last 2 or 3 serial numbers when I post?

Do you need any further info (beside pics) for a tighter price-range?

Thanks, again, for all the help!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
US Veteran
Liked 25,189 Times in 8,610 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

The number on the butt, which should match the numbers under the barrel and on the back of the cylinder, is the serial number. The number stamped on the frame behind the yoke, seen when you swing out the cylinder, is an assembley number.

Some folks feel that using xx's instead of the last two numbers of the SN gives them a bit of privacy.

A letter from the factory historian, Mr Roy Jinks, costs $50. It will tell you the original configaration of your handgun-barrel length, finish, type of grips. It will also tell you where it was shipped.
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Similar question "D" Stamped on the frame.

Gun serial number 263326
5 shot cylinder
Barrel stamped with ".38 S.& W. SPL."

Cylinder 58 8 13
D ?

? is a crooked J, half an O or a badly stamped U.

Gun was inherited from my grandfather and has a Tyler grip and Tyler holster. Tyler was located on Britton Road in Oklahoma City at the time and my grandfather also lived in OKC on Britton road in the fifties.

I believe it is a J frame, 2 inch.

Anybody know when it was built?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-02_16-21-27_372.jpg (43.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade
Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol. Need info on my D-frame S&W pistol.  
Liked 16,158 Times in 7,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.n.oregon View Post
Gun serial number 263326
5 shot cylinder

Cylinder 58 8 13
D ?

Gun was inherited from my grandfather and has a Tyler grip and Tyler holster. Tyler was located on Britton Road in Oklahoma City at the time and my grandfather also lived in OKC on Britton road in the fifties.

Your photo is too dark. Is the cylinder release flat and grooved, or the later usual sort?

Either way, if the frame is steel, it is Model 36 (after 1957). If a light alloy frame, a Model 37. These guns are also called the Chief's Special, a name now misused (I feel) on an S&W auto pistol. Yes, these are made on the small J-frame.

The shape of your hammer is that of the later guns. Early ones had smaller hammers, in several shapes. They evolved into the shape that your gun has.

Not being able to see the cylinder release, it wouldn't surprise me if your gun dates from the 1970's. It probably has no connection with Melvin Tyler, although it has the grip adaptor. And your relative may certainly have known him.

The best bet to date it is the serial number. Someone will be along with data on that.

Last edited by Texas Star; 03-02-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Liked 278 Times in 75 Posts

"Gun serial number 263326
5 shot cylinder

Serial numbers ran from 125000 in 1957 to 295000 in 1962.

Jim
Old 03-03-2012, 07:37 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,685 Times in 8,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.n.oregon View Post
Gun serial number 263326
5 shot cylinder

Cylinder 58 8 13
D ?

Welcome to the forum with your 1st post!

It is a J frame and a letter will tell you when it "shipped" but they can't tell you when it was "built" and the dates can be weeks to years apart.

The following can almost pin down when it was bulit:

The large diamond around the grip screw tell us the gun was built before 1968, if the serial # on the back of the right grip matches the gun.

The 3rd style flat latch is before 1966 and after c. 1956.

The serial # is before 1962.

The absence of "Model 36" stamped on the frame with cyl open tells us before 1957. (The D stamp is an inspector's or assembler's stamp.)

If it has 4 screws holding on the sideplate (including the one covered by the right side grip), more likely early 1956. If only 3 screws, more likely late '56.

Your model was 1st introduced in its configuration in 1953.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 03-03-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Tags
colt, grooved, j frame, jinks, k frame, k-frame, military, model 10, model 37, s&w, sideplate, sig arms