Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM
S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber?  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber?

I bought this S&W Hand Ejector and figure it was a 1905 4th Gen in 38 Special The problem is that a 38 Special doesn't fit into the cylinder. The serial numbers are also very curious. Serial number on the round butt is 191798 and also on the under side of the barrel below the extractor rod. There is also a 4 digit serial number of 1554 above the yoke where modern S&W's have the model number and serial number. The pistol should be nickle plated but it kind of looks like stainless. Although there is some pitting in areas. I can just barely make out the S&W Special CTG on the barrel. The letter before that is worn off or not there . Underneath the top strap above the barrel there is a concave cut out into the top strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (23).JPG (73.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg photo (14).JPG (59.9 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg photo (15).JPG (47.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg photo (19).JPG (42.2 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg photo (17).JPG (38.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 PM
SWCA Member
S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber?  
Liked 4,122 Times in 1,463 Posts

Can you post a picture of the cylinder maybe that will shed some light if it says special on the barrel that is what the barrel is a 38 special.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,722 Times in 2,633 Posts

Is there a number on the rear face of the cylinder that matches the numbers on the butt and the flat underside of the barrel? That gun should absolutely chamber the .38 Special round. Is there any corrosion or powder residue that prevents a .38 Special round from being fully chambered?

You can ignore the number stamped on the frame surface that is exposed when the cylinder is open. That is called a soft fitting number and is important only until the gun is fully assembled, at which time the serial number is the controlling identification for the gun.

Most collectors would identify that gun as the round butt variety of the Model of 1905, third change. This is actually not consistent with the company's own labeling practice, which at this time called round-butt guns the Model of 1902. But there is no established extended change sequence for the 1902, which collectors have habitually lumped together with the Model of 1905 in order to keep change designations consistent.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 PM
Liked 19,268 Times in 9,414 Posts

Welcome! It was originally blue or nickel finished, but now is "in the white".

With this frame size, serial number and the (partial) barrel stamping you mentioned it has to be a .38 Special.

The cutout in the top strap is called a "fouling cup", meant to keep black powder residue from tying up the cylinder. Later guns in the smokeless powder era omitted this feature.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 PM
SWCA Member
S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber?  
Liked 2,023 Times in 522 Posts

First off, welcome to the forum.

An intriguing first post.

If you don't mind me asking, did you buy it as it's shown in your photos, a "basket case" so to speak, someone's failed project, or did you disassemble it? Is it complete, or missing the things we aren't seeing?

I think David has nailed the caliber issue. But if the cylinder is unnumbered or misnumbered, then it's not the original. One possibility that comes to mind immediately (for me,at least) is that it could be a WWII vintage .38/200 cylinder, in which case .38 special wouldn't chamber.
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"
Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks all for the info. I really appreciate it. I'll check on fitting a .38 special in the cylinder again. The caliber marking on the barrel is not visible at all so I can't say for sure it's a .38 special. All the parts do have the same serial number as on the frame. I have all the parts and have remove to clean. The frame finish really is strange. I swear it looks like stainless steel. There are a few pitting areas but no flaking. Just the same kind of pitting you would see on a blue gun. I'll put it back together tonight and post more pictures. The trigger and hammer don't have that "case hardened look" either. They look to be stainless steel. The hammer is shinny and the trigger is that dull looking stainless. The "inners" look similar to my more modern S&W's. I'm wondering if someone had the gone redone. Well. thanks again all.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 AM
SWCA Member
S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber? S&W Hand Ejector - What is this model and caliber?  

Quote:
Originally Posted by entrscrnnm View Post
The frame finish really is strange. I swear it looks like stainless steel. There are a few pitting areas but no flaking. Just the same kind of pitting you would see on a blue gun.... I'm wondering if someone had the gone redone.
Of course it's definitely not stainless steel. It's now "in the white" as was noted in a previous post, and may well have been wire wheeled to remove corrosion (and in the process all of the original finish and also apparently a portion of the caliber marking on the barrel).
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"
Old 11-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Liked 29,496 Times in 14,228 Posts

Do you have all parts?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Liked 650 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goony View Post
Of course it's definitely not stainless steel. It's now "in the white" as was noted in a previous post, and may well have been wire wheeled to remove corrosion (and in the process all of the original finish and also apparently a portion of the caliber marking on the barrel).
"In the white" means someone has polished or removed all of the original bluing getting ready to reblue the gun. So now you have shiny steel!
Ed
Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,122 Times in 1,463 Posts

Is there a chance someone could have chromed the gun?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merl67 View Post
Is there a chance someone could have chromed the gun?
You know, that's possible. It looks to be "in the white" to me, but pictures aren't the same as seeing it in person. Modern satin nickel or hard chrome finsihes can mimic the appearance of stainless steel. So maybe that's indeed what we're dealing with here....
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"