Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 02-03-2017, 01:32 PM
SWCA Member
Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch.  
Liked 3,683 Times in 770 Posts
Default Shooting with service stocks...ouch.

Most of my N frame shooters are postwar (1946+) and wear factory magnas, Ahrends retro target, or Hogue and Pachmayr rubber. I don't shoot factory target stocks. Yesterday I shot a TL and a .44 HE 2nd Model, both with service stocks.

Shooting pre-war .44's with period service stocks is new to me. The stocks are very thin and don't have much grip-able surface. It took a minute to get a grip and it occurred to me that service stocks are best suited to single-hand operation. I tried my standard two-hand "baby-butt" grip. Not especially comfortable. Both guns were on target, but after a few cylinders of 850 fps handloads I noticed that I had nicked the inside of my thumb knuckle and torn a small patch of skin at the base of the my thumb just above the web. I think that the thumb was positioned too high, close to the cylinder release, and the web of my hand too high on the frame...and that I need more practice shooting service stocks.

Are service stocks intended for single-hand grip?
Do you have a different technique for shooting service stocks vs. magnas, targets, rubber, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TL 13823 Right.jpg (71.4 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 44HE 2nd 5 inch_a.jpg (73.8 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by The Gila Bender; 02-03-2017 at 01:33 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 01:49 PM
US Veteran
Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch.  
Liked 3,575 Times in 789 Posts

I have long fingers so service stocks are a no no for me. For my shooters I chose a pair of targets and keep them with the gun for shooting. For the magnums I use Pachmayrs. I never have liked adapters. They only lengthen the grip not widen it. Plus they gouge the inside of what would be a nice set of stocks.

Paul
Old 02-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Liked 7,578 Times in 2,307 Posts

I've noticed the same thing. A big ouch! But, I am also a fan of shooting revolvers with the original stocks provided by SW. On the rare occasion I shoot a 44 with service stocks, I use a padded batting glove with the trigger finger tip removed.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:58 PM
Liked 16,616 Times in 4,233 Posts

On those old service grips, both N and K frame, I like to use a Tyler T-grip. Makes a huge difference in holding onto the revolver.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 03:07 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch.  
Liked 3,277 Times in 1,282 Posts

Note that the custom target grips of the day are all quite large, compared to the service stocks. Large to acquire a more usable grip for the shooter's hand. And, target shooting back then was one-handed.

When I got my first Triple Lock, I wondered about the stocks being so small. I shot a box of W-W factory .44 Special, a 246 grain lead round nose that usually chrono's about 700 fps, and it was doable. I then fired a couple of rounds of "Skeeter" rounds (250 grain bullet at about 925 fps) and immediately had a vision about why S&W went to bigger stocks when their cartridges got more powerful.
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Shooting with service stocks...ouch. Shooting with service stocks...ouch.  
Liked 1,039 Times in 444 Posts

Service stocks with a Pachmayr grip adapter, with a 1917, is way more comfortable for me than '70s vintage magna grips and heavy .38s in a M-28. The gloves I buy are large or extra-large. My 1917 is very controllable, and comfortable with heavy loads. ymmv
Old 02-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Liked 2,807 Times in 903 Posts

Boy, I wish I had your problem!
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 02-03-2017, 08:26 PM
US Veteran
Liked 363 Times in 130 Posts

Question: are you all locking your wrists when you Shoot? I never have trouble with the service stocks on my 32-20, but having cut my teeth on SAAs, I more or less shoot like old Frederic Remington paintings.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Liked 7,682 Times in 2,744 Posts

all my S&W revolvers wear pachmayr grips.....
Old 02-04-2017, 01:10 PM
SWCA Member

For the time being I'll swap the service stocks for magnas or Grashorns for a range session. I just can't put rubber on a prewar N frame. Photos of prewar target stocks are welcome, is there a thread on the topic?
Grashorns on a TL, not bad:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TL .455 12742 Grashorns.jpg (108.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-04-2017, 01:31 PM
US Veteran
Liked 10,850 Times in 3,409 Posts

Another alternative with the service stocks is the Wesson Grip Adaptor - pictured on one of my Registered Magnums below. I personally like the feel of the Wesson Grip Adaptor as much as Magnas or even Ropers on this RM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Liked 403 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gila Bender View Post
Are service stocks intended for single-hand grip?
In a word, yes.
In the words of D. B. Wesson:
How to Shoot a Smith & Wesson Revolver - Douglas Wesson
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Liked 7,034 Times in 2,388 Posts

In the spirit of keeping things the way the factory intended, remember that "service" grips are just that...designed to be used "in service". That would usually involve being worn on the hip in a holster with a bunch of other gear and used as required of the service. Not really used for target shooting and as been mentioned "target" grips were made to accommodate the shooters hand. Magnas grips are somewhat of a compensation but as others with long fingers or large hands usually find out they do not really attribute to accurate shooting the way a fine set of target grips do.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 02-04-2017, 03:10 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 6,099 Times in 1,249 Posts

I have large hands and long fingers. I guess I have a low threshold of discomfort with using the original stock panels on pre-war Smith & Wesson N-Frames IF the revolvers are shot with standard factory velocity loads. Even a box or two fired on a fine afternoon is pleasant and most gratifying.

Not pleasant though is descriptive of the revolvers when used with heavier loads. On an occasion when I was younger, I worked up to the Elmer Keith load in a Model of 1926 .44 Special with factory stock panels. The revolver survived it in fine fashion, but all the incrementally working up of the load and chronographing of the finished product was brutal in the extreme.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Liked 7,034 Times in 2,388 Posts

Due to the size of my hands I have never been able to shoot a Colt SAA comfortably, although the Bisley is somewhat more comfortable but then I will defer to the fact that it was designed to be used as a "target" shooting piece and not so much as a "service" style. The Ruger blackhawk is also difficult for me to be comfortable with, although the Superblackhawk is somewhat more comfortatable it wasn't until I tried one fitted with the "Dragoon" style grip that I truly found a comfortable grip. Brownells used to sell the brass Dragoon grip frame and it needed to be fitted, it worked very well for those of us with larger hands or longer fingers.
Part of the reason I was drawn to S&W revolvers in the first place was the fact that with target grips installed they are immediately fitted to my hand, Cokes fit even better. I have enlisted the help of John Culinga to make me up a couple of pairs of grips to fit revolvers that I like to shoot for accuracy. On the few revolvers that I use for carry, Magnas come in a close second, the least preferred grip in my opinion is the tiny service grip installed on military issued 1917, etc. It is nearly as bad as the Colt SAA in my opinion and although an attractive grip serves me no purpose other than to remain with the revolver it was issued with and possibly numbered to in case some future owner may be interested in the revolver and all its proper accouterments.
I am going to attempt to make a pair of elk horn grips for my Brazilian custom 1917 and will use the military "minimalist" grip for a template, I do however plan on making them a bit thicker than factory...I'm curious how they turn out and am going to take my time to do the best I can with the nice piece of antler I have to work with.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,345 Times in 1,934 Posts

I had no idea firing an N-frame revolver with original grips could be so problematic. I have several Triple Lock revolvers, and removing the original grips never really crossed my mind because the original grips do not make for uncomfortable shooting at all.

If you find you no longer want your N-frame pre-war grips, let me know! I am currently in search of a good pair or two.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:21 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleLock View Post
In a word, yes.
In the words of D. B. Wesson:
How to Shoot a Smith & Wesson Revolver - Douglas Wesson

Thank you, this helps a lot. I have never shot single-hand with any accuracy and, after reading several posts in the Competitive Shooting forum, I realized that (1) I had gotten too comfortable with finger-grooved rubber Hogue grips and (2) I need to develop single and two-hand revolver shooting techniques. I'm relearning proper revolver grip technique with both service and magna stocks. The key is to grip high on the backstrap and place the support hand (left) thumb over the shooting hand (right) thumb. This allows for a higher grip and places both thumb knuckles well below the thumbpiece. Back to the range....

Last edited by The Gila Bender; 02-06-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: always learning....