Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 06-29-2018, 10:23 PM
SWCA Member
Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction.  Two gun lot... Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction.  Two gun lot... Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction.  Two gun lot... Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction.  Two gun lot... Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction.  Two gun lot...  
Liked 7,353 Times in 1,939 Posts
Default Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction. Two gun lot...

This is driving me crazy.

Does anyone recall a two gun lot, I think BOTH were Smith & Wessons. One was a Triple Lock in .455 Webley with an inscription. Very little research located the original owner and photographs of his grave in England, he having succumbed to a mortal wound in WWI. This was located as being at auction by a major or quasi-major auction house a few months ago. I obviously promptly forgot about this and cannot recall the auction house, description, and/or all that I researched. This one might have been converted to .45 Colt.

As I cannot find the listing, presumably it has since sold. Can anyone post the closed listing or recall more details than I can? Maybe a forum member now owns this revolver?
Old 06-30-2018, 08:59 AM
SWCA Member
Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction.  Two gun lot... Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction.  Two gun lot... Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction.  Two gun lot... Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction.  Two gun lot... Triple Lock with inscription recently sold at auction.  Two gun lot...  
Liked 2,558 Times in 463 Posts

I don't know if it's the same, but an inscribed .455 just sold at Morphy's, lot #1555.

Bob
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-30-2018, 09:42 AM
SWCA Member

Yes that's it! Inscribed R.E.T. Huddart. Along with the other revolver $1638 seems like a VERY good price. I suspect it might have been converted to .45 Colt. But maybe not...

I searched for this when the auction was ongoing and it didn't come up. I guess it has already sold and then it is somehow in limbo for awhile.

Without having examined these two in person, the hammer price seems very reasonable. Comments?
Old 06-30-2018, 11:06 AM
SWCA Member

And here's the link:

Lot Detail - (C) Lot of 2: Pre-War N Frame British Stamped Smith & Wesson Double Action Revolvers.

The Triple Lock and a S & W 1917.

So this would have been $1300 plus 26% (TWENTY-SIX PERCENT!!!) Buyer's Premium. Add another 3% if you pay by credit card.

Check this out: Bidding FAQ - Morphy Auctions

"Is there a Buyer's Premium?" States 20%, which it WAS until this auction. Talk about truth in advertising, or whatever you call it. Agreed, not much difference on these revolvers, but if you are a high roller, and spend several hundred thousand, wouldn't you be the least bit ripped you are paying 6% more than you expected???

Then again, perhaps I am the last cheapskate ever to attend auctions anymore. Some of these auctions, I swear you could add in a 100% buyer's premium, and folks would just bid away exactly the same way...with complete disregard to any and all premiums.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-30-2018, 11:24 AM
Banned
Liked 32,463 Times in 7,773 Posts

I sorta smiled at the description of the Huddart revolver, as it says, "It is your basic, early Smith & Wesson Triple Lock Hand Ejector Model with blued finish, case colored hammer and trigger, and gold medallion diamond checkered walnut grips with lanyard ring."

I suppose I'm old fashioned, or a bit naive...or maybe I just have a lot of respect for the old Smiths, but to see the gun described as a "basic" anything just jumped out at me. I don't know, maybe collectors have become a bit jaded in 2018, and what I'd consider to be a real treasure is just another Triple Lock to guys with deep pockets.

I'd love to have a "basic" Triple Lock inscribed with a real soldier's name to give it some provenance, a bit of a history.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 06-30-2018, 01:39 PM
SWCA Member

I like it a lot with the inscription. But I forgot until after the auction. Plus you would be amazed at how many top tier auction houses have no idea the difference between .455 Webley and a .45 Colt conversion.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Liked 1,762 Times in 504 Posts

Great looking Triple Lock, and the 1917 ain't bad either. Even with the buyer's premium I'd still say that was a good deal - especially since those are my initials.