Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned
When did N-frame target grips get so big? When did N-frame target grips get so big? When did N-frame target grips get so big? When did N-frame target grips get so big? When did N-frame target grips get so big?  
Liked 1,610 Times in 884 Posts
Question When did N-frame target grips get so big?

The original diamond target grips of my 5-screw pre-28 HP and the smooth targets on my 27 are noticibly smaller and fit my hand so much better than the HUGE factory checkered targets that came on my late 70s/early 80s Mods. 25/29 and 57s.

HP

Did .357s have a 'smaller' grips , or just due to the DOB?

Does anyone make a reasonable copy of these smaller targets?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:20 PM
When did N-frame target grips get so big? When did N-frame target grips get so big? When did N-frame target grips get so big? When did N-frame target grips get so big? When did N-frame target grips get so big?  
Liked 4,669 Times in 1,055 Posts

You can have anything you want made if you can afford it. There are several extremely talented grip makers that frequent the forum, Keith Brown and Kurac to name only two. If many of us could stop buying guns we might be able to afford some of their artwork . . . .
Old 06-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Liked 14,966 Times in 4,776 Posts

The original "oversize" grips allowed owners to have them shaped to their individual hand, which many did. Over the years I have seen many nice and also grotesque examples of "reworking." Joe
Old 06-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFrameFred View Post
You can have anything you want made if you can afford it. There are several extremely talented grip makers that frequent the forum, Keith Brown and Kurac to name only two. If many of us could stop buying guns we might be able to afford some of their artwork . . . .
Well , yes , most of my revolvers get a Hogue hardwood MonoGrip. But I was wondering WHEN the change came.

Eagle Grips claim their Heritage Series are somewhat like the early ones.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmer View Post
The original "oversize" grips allowed owners to have them shaped to their individual hand, which many did. Over the years I have seen many nice and also grotesque examples of "reworking." Joe
Well , the border cut around the checkering is quite deep on the later grips , so reshaping them takes some doing. And I can tell you that aside from that wear groove on the left panel , the early diamond targets on my HP wear not modified. And they're the same size/shape as the smooths on my 27.

Tags
checkering, heritage, hogue, keith brown grips, n-frame