Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 05-18-2024, 11:39 PM
Trigger Locks? Trigger Locks? Trigger Locks? Trigger Locks? Trigger Locks?  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Trigger Locks?

I hope I'm in the right forum. Based upon the thread in this forum listing all of the model numbers, serial numbers, frame styles, manufacture years, etc. I've identified my Airweight 38 SPL CTG J3 MOD-12 2" Barrel as being made in 1960, however it has three screws, as far as I can tell. It was just gifted to me by my father.

As I read up on the type of ammo that should be used with this pistol and prepare to take it to a range, I was wondering what the recommendation is for securing it for transportation. Does anyone use trigger locks?
Old 05-18-2024, 11:42 PM
Liked 982 Times in 507 Posts

Unless you live in a jurisdiction that requires the gun to be “ trigger locked” in transport, my advice is don’t bother. Put it in a soft case and Sally forth, or if you really want to lock it up ( no logical reason to do so for a range trip) just grab a hard side plastic pistol case for 10 bucks and put a pad lock around the handles, or some hard pistol cases have a hole to allow a lock to pass.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 06:05 PM
Liked 9,427 Times in 3,759 Posts

Trigger locks violate rule 3. They are terrible item, totally unacceptable. If you have a reason to lock up your firearms, there are many ways that are acceptable. The firearms that are accessible for use are not locked. The ones that are in storage are empty and locked in one of a few containers. We don't have kids, so that issue is not present in our choices; to me, the only proper way to deal with kids who are not yet adequately trained is to wear your pistol in a quality holster at all times, including at home.

I remember getting issued pistols in 2003 or so, and there was a huge trash can next to the table in which everyone disposed of the trigger locks. Everyone understood that trigger locks are completely clown shoes.

If you aren't comfortable, that's fine - that will be cured by proper firearms education. Never settle for the training that comes in the box.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:48 AM
US Veteran
Liked 22,611 Times in 8,330 Posts

There are some states that require handguns must be "locked" up at all times not in use. Just be sure to know your state's requirements. Most often an unnecessary requirement.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 10:15 AM
Liked 8,239 Times in 3,724 Posts

When I go to my local indoor shooting range i always have my gun(s) in a zippeded gun case , shooting (gym) bag or hard pistol box that holds 2 or 4 handguns .
The people who run the place don't like you to walk in with a weapon in hand .
I would get a zippered soft gun case large enough to hold your revolver and a box of ammo ... zip it up and take it into the range .
If they want a lock ... put lock on case zipper ... there is usually a place for a small lock / cable lock on the case . A hard case isn't a bad idea either ... I have both and when taking more than one gun ... use the hard case ... buy one big enough for two guns and two boxes of ammo . I got my last one at Cabela's ... on Sale !
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; 05-20-2024 at 10:20 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: