Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980

S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3-Screw PINNED Barrel SWING-OUT Cylinder Hand Ejectors WITH Model Numbers

Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm interested in dating a particular revolver, a model 64-3 38 special, SN= ABR74xx. Was wondering if anyone can assist me in determining this gun's mfg date. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm interested in dating a particular revolver, a model 64-3 38 special, SN= ABR74xx. Was wondering if anyone can assist me in determining this gun's mfg date. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Model 64-3 Model 64-3  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i don't have my standard catalog of Smith and wesson with me at the moment. abbreviated SCSW it is the go to reference most of us use. anyhow the three letter prefixes Ex: Axx#### began in the early eighties iirc. that's about when i'd guess yours is from. years are not as important to S&W as is revisions as you said, yours is a -3, i think that model got to -10 or higher as the years went on.
64's are workhorse kind of bread and butter guns, however there are some variants that are less common. researching this gun will give you an opportunity to learn about variations of S&W's, and you can probably do it all right on the forum. search the forum to see if your gun is heavy or tapered (aka pencil)barrel. what barrel length. is it a pinned barrel or one of the newer styles. what is the shape of the grip is it round butt or square butt any special chambering or marking? what grips are on it do you have the box it came in and the little toolkit and literature?
welcome to our addiction.
Regards,
Rich
Old 01-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Model 64-3 Model 64-3 Model 64-3 Model 64-3 Model 64-3  
Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

According to SCSW it was made in 1983.

Tags
round butt, scsw, smith and wesson, toolkit