Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 PM
First outing. Not very impressed First outing. Not very impressed First outing. Not very impressed First outing. Not very impressed First outing. Not very impressed  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default First outing. Not very impressed

Well i was finally able to tak ethe new 15-22 out today. I had a box of Remingtom bulk and a box of Federal 550 525 Golden bullet value pack.

I shot the Remington first, this ammo seemed ok besides to occasional FT fire(about 3%). I had a few FT feed with this stuff as well. No FT eject out of the Remington, very dirty ammo though. Shot about 500 rounds.

Next I shot the Federal 550, this stuff I was not impressed with at all. In fact it was VERY frustrating. I had a few FT fire, and any where from 2-6 rounds per mag (10 and 15 round mags) the were stove piping on me. They would get hung up in the bolt area. I shot about 200+ rounds of this before I got fed up and packed it all up.

My buddy was sitting next to me shooting my Ruger 10/22 using the same box of ammo and had zero issues with the Ruger, so I know it wasn't the ammo per say, but the gun.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by spleify; 04-25-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 04-25-2010, 10:50 PM
First outing. Not very impressed First outing. Not very impressed First outing. Not very impressed First outing. Not very impressed First outing. Not very impressed  
Liked 504 Times in 239 Posts

Mine chews through Fed Bulk like Tiger Woods chews through women!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what do you suppose the issue is?

I did not clean it the entire session today. But I also did not start having issues until I swithed to the Federal ammo and like I said we were shooting the same stuff out of my Ruger 10/22 with absolutely ZERO issues at all what so ever.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like a mag issue. Every stove pipe problem I have had was bad mag loading.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Liked 34 Times in 29 Posts
Smile

Mine chugs the federal bulk stuff and it shoots like match ammo. You might have gotten a bad box and remember Rugers will eat anything.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood69 View Post
Sounds like a mag issue. Every stove pipe problem I have had was bad mag loading.
Four different mags and not one issue with the Remingtom ammo, I would think this is not the problem.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will also add this is a brand new one, DTZ2XXX serial, blue springs and threaded FH
Old 04-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sorry, to read about your issues during your first outing.

Perhaps, you might try different brands of ammo. My Ruger MKII and MKIII shoot everything that I feed them. My 2 Glock Advantage Arms 22lr. conversion kit are quite picky eaters. For example, most people do find with the Rem GBs, but my kits will not shoot them . . . Go figure. Now, I have just shot my new 15-22 three times in as many days. I am fortunate that it ate the 3 ammo offerings I feed it. The ammo I used was all 40 gr. high speed CCi Mini Mags, Fiocchi and Aguila SuperExtra.

Based on another S&W member's successful experience, I have 1,000 rounds of CCI Blazer arriving this Thursday. I am going to give these a try, as well.

Edit: I have DTZ0xxx.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiDoi View Post
Sorry, to read about your issues during your first outing.

Perhaps, you might try different brands of ammo. My Ruger MKII and MKIII shoot everything that I feed them. My 2 Glock Advantage Arms 22lr. conversion kit are quite picky eaters. For example, most people do find with the Rem GBs, but my kits will not shoot them . . . Go figure. Now, I have just shot my new 15-22 three times in as many days. I am fortunate that it ate the 3 ammo offerings I feed it. The ammo I used was all 40 gr. high speed CCi Mini Mags, Fiocchi and Aguila SuperExtra.

Based on another S&W member's successful experience, I have 1,000 rounds of CCI Blazer arriving this Thursday. I am going to give these a try, as well.

Edit: I have DTZ0xxx.
Where did you get the CCI blazer from?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleify View Post
Where did you get the CCI blazer from?

Thanks
I ordered the CCI Blazer from Midsouth Shooters. I think it was $1.77 per box of 50. It should be here on Thursday. I'll be able to shoot some on Friday evening.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well maybe I will go and pick up some different ammo at some local shops and see if something is better than others.

Right now I am not very happy with this gun at all though. Really dissapointing

Tags
22lr, fiocchi, glock, remington, ruger