Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 06-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights  
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights

I know Magpul would be the most common reply but cost wise I am looking at getting something that is not too expensive. I will replace both the front & rear and would like one that would work or co-witness with a Primary Arms M3 Red Dot which I plan to get next. Anyone ever used one from UAG or UTG? Any suggestions? Tnx
Old 06-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights Need help/suggestions re: back-up sights  
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts

I have never used those irons specifically, but they seem like they would be just fine for this rifle. I used some no name cheapo QD irons for a while and they were fine.
IMO, the best back up irons I have ever seen are the Troy battlesights. After having a pair, I will never use another set of irons. They are rock solid, they sit really low on the rail, and most importantly for me, looking through them provides the clearest sight picture. The only downside is that it will cost $100 for each the front and rear folders. Front and rear fixed are about half that price.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I've seen those Troy battle sights online and yes they look like they are built to last but too expensive for me..almost half the price of the firearm, hi. I just ordered the Magpul instead and see how it works. Tnx...appreciate your reply.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts

I like the MOE's that came on mine, but use a red dot full time. The nice thing about the Magpul, over some of the other folders is they are very sleek and smooth, so they dn't get caught or snagged on stuff.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have the MOE on my Rifle 22. work good serve the purpose. I have Troy on my .223 and they are MOBEDDAH! But I wasnt willing to put 200$ in backups on my plinker either. Someday when im rich maybe and I use my Reddot the backups are for when the EMP knocks out the batterys and frys all electronics and the Zombies are commin over my fence
Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts

PTS version. Iv seen them and they will work FINE.
I am sending you a PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Diamond Head sights if you have the money.

Diamondhead DIAMOND Integrated Sighting System™|Diamond-Shaped Aperture™|Diamond-shaped housing|Iron Sight |BUIS|Flip-Up Sight
Old 06-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveshady View Post
I have Troy on my .223 and they are MOBEDDAH!
I am shopping for sights too, so would like to know specifically why the Troys are better than the Magpulls.

Last edited by Guy A; 06-05-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Liked 43 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic View Post
PTS version. Iv seen them and they will work FINE.
I am sending you a PM.
I'm sure these would be fine for a .22lr. They are all over ebay for cheap.

I run MBUS on my M&P15. They work good for me.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts

The only thing I've seen about the Magpul PTS MBUS is that they're much cheaper than the real version.

The PTS line is made overseas and then imported here, so that makes the price goes up.

What I like about premium sights like Troy is that the apertures are very clear and crisp making them very easy to pick out against the target/background. While the MBUS sights do work just fine, in my own personal experience the sight post and rear peep aren't as crisp making them a bit slower to pick up when snapping the rifle up or transitioning target to target. If used for stationary static shooting then they'll work great. I probably would have gotten used to them after a while anyway but with the Troys I noticed an immediate sight picture clarity the very first time I used them (Larue Tactical Range Day 2011).

The MBUS could probably be made a bit better if the front sight is changed out and sanding the mold flashes on the rear peep.

Last edited by tracksol; 06-05-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:41 PM
US Veteran
Liked 103 Times in 36 Posts

Lewis Machine Tool, aka LMT