Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 AM
set screws on flash hider not flush. set screws on flash hider not flush. set screws on flash hider not flush. set screws on flash hider not flush. set screws on flash hider not flush.  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default set screws on flash hider not flush.

i recently put on a tru shot tech. flash hider on my m&p and its great except the set screws are not flush. just wonder if anyone has a done it before? sand them? then paint? any tips would be great. thanks all
Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 AM
set screws on flash hider not flush. set screws on flash hider not flush. set screws on flash hider not flush. set screws on flash hider not flush. set screws on flash hider not flush.  
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts

Get shorter set screws at your local hardware store.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Liked 372 Times in 176 Posts

The set screws on mine were initially installed and then ground flush. A bit of cold blue finished things up. I have since filled the screws with epoxy and painted the whole thing. It looks even better than the original installation. The photo is shows the original install. Haven't had time to shoot a current photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1132.jpg (14.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMaxSplat View Post
The set screws on mine were initially installed and then ground flush. A bit of cold blue finished things up. I have since filled the screws with epoxy and painted the whole thing. It looks even better than the original installation. The photo is shows the original install. Haven't had time to shoot a current photo.
You do know that if you ever want to remove the barrel from the receiver or the hand guard from the barrel, you'll have to remove the flash hider, don't you? It makes the barrel too big to pass through the receiver or the receiver end of the hand guard.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Liked 386 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
You do know that if you ever want to remove the barrel from the receiver or the hand guard from the barrel, you'll have to remove the flash hider, don't you? It makes the barrel too big to pass through the receiver or the receiver end of the hand guard.
but how often would you be required to do this?

ours is the same as the set screw type, but no holes/set screws and bonded on. our g.s. said a little heat and it will come right off. clean up and no marks on barrel. clean it up and use again.
it's what worked for us as we did not want the set screws showing on our non-threaded barrel
Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tork'd View Post
but how often would you be required to do this?

ours is the same as the set screw type, but no holes/set screws and bonded on. our g.s. said a little heat and it will come right off. clean up and no marks on barrel. clean it up and use again.
it's what worked for us as we did not want the set screws showing on our non-threaded barrel
Didn't say it would be often; just that it will be necessary. To me, grinding down the set screws and filling them with epoxy may look good, but it's a bad move otherwise. Just my opinion.

A "little heat" is subjective. It doesn't take much to loosen BLUE LocTite - a hair dryer will probably do it - but RED is a whole different matter. It takes probably 400-500 degrees from a torch to soften it.

I have a Tacticool22 threaded adapter on mine secured with BLUE. Flash hiders are illegal in Connecticut but I can have a compensator so that's what's on the adapter - welded on, BTW; no possibility of naked threads allowed.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Liked 386 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Didn't say it would be often; just that it will be necessary. To me, grinding down the set screws and filling them with epoxy may look good, but it's a bad move otherwise. Just my opinion.

A "little heat" is subjective. It doesn't take much to loosen BLUE LocTite - a hair dryer will probably do it - but RED is a whole different matter. It takes probably 400-500 degrees from a torch to soften it.

I have a Tacticool22 threaded adapter on mine secured with BLUE. Flash hiders are illegal in Connecticut but I can have a compensator so that's what's on the adapter - welded on, BTW; no possibility of naked threads allowed.
position understood...
seems kind of silly to forbid flash hider but allow compensators, doesn't it?
kind of like Illinois requires FOID card for ammo, but drive over the river and all you want..no id go figure
Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tork'd View Post
position understood...
seems kind of silly to forbid flash hider but allow compensators, doesn't it?
kind of like Illinois requires FOID card for ammo, but drive over the river and all you want..no id go figure
To say the least. It could be worse ...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Liked 372 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
No worries. I could have the FS off in 5 minutes. The epoxy will come out easily with the help of an awl. The set screws still have plenty of engagement for the wrench, but drilling them out would also be a piece of cake.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:

does the adapter actually count as a threaded barrel since it isn't actually part of it? i might just bring mine down to westport and get it threaded and welded for real if that's the case.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacheese View Post
does the adapter actually count as a threaded barrel since it isn't actually part of it? i might just bring mine down to westport and get it threaded and welded for real if that's the case.
I did not get an opinion from the CSP (I don't trust what the give out, anyway) but the couple of AR experts I talked to said that it didn't count if whatever was attached to the adapter was permanently attached and the threaded adapter wasn't.

Tags
compensator