Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 05-22-2012, 04:15 PM
looking for 1 MOA red dot..... looking for 1 MOA red dot..... looking for 1 MOA red dot..... looking for 1 MOA red dot..... looking for 1 MOA red dot.....  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default looking for 1 MOA red dot.....

I was gonna PU 1 of the Eotech clones offered on Ebay.... Can anyone who knows the difference tell me how the reticle compares with a real Eotech? There's a couple out there that claim to have the same 65MOA circle with the 1MOA dot. I'm not interested in any of those out there with a 4 or 6MOA reticle, as at any distance you can't see what you're aiming at..... I'm already set up with a 3X9X42 compact for target and plinking, but want something else to put on the rail on occasion. I've read up on the clones, one of the things I've noted, some say they are too dim outside, any comments?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
looking for 1 MOA red dot..... looking for 1 MOA red dot..... looking for 1 MOA red dot..... looking for 1 MOA red dot..... looking for 1 MOA red dot.....  
Liked 68 Times in 45 Posts

Eotech and aimpoint are only R.D. offering 1moa. For a 22lr I think 1moa is overkill since bullet drop is 5.5" at 100 yards. 3 moa would suit you right. I have a 5moa on my 15-22 and can empty a mag on a 7" target at 100 yards. Not tight but all 25 land.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts

yeah not for nothing, but doesn't a One MOA, red dot sight, on a .22 caliber rifle like the 15-22, completely defeat the purpose? All due respect, but the 65 Moa - 1 moa or even 4 moa aimpoint style dot, much more effective IMHO.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

The aimpoint and Eotech are plenty bright in daylight. Same with C-More and other high quality sights. The only sight below $100 I have used that is bright enough in daylight and has the 1 MOA dot and 65 MOA circle is the TruGlo dual Red/Green Reflex sight. Green is much brighter in high sunlight than red. While I use C-Mores exclusively on my competition pistols, my speed competition AR15-22 has a TruGlo on it. I have used that sight on 2 different rifles for Steel Challenge and Ruger Rimfire for the last 2 years with no issues. And I have tried 5-6 other sights during that same timeframe.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts

Primary Arms has an Aimpoint M4 clone. They have a single dot version and a multi reticule version. I have the latter. One of the 4 reticules is a 65moa circle with an 1moa dot in the center. I bought it to see how much I like the reticule before I drop the money on an Eotech for my 5.56 AR. It's worked great so far on both my 15-22 and 5.56 AR. The standard mount does wiggle a bit of you move it with your hand but in my case it has retained zero out to 50 yards even switching between my 2 guns.

They're currently out of stock of M4 clones which is why it isn't on their website. They do however have an M3 clone that has the same multi reticule, but it uses a CR2 lithium battery: https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_...3M_p/pam3m.htm

Last edited by tracksol; 05-26-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts

I use a Bushnell TRS 25 which I believe has a 1 MOA dot. It's plenty bright except, of course, in direct sunlight. Small and light too.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksol View Post
Primary Arms has an Aimpoint M4 clone. They have a single dot version and a multi reticule version. I have the latter. One of the 4 reticules is a 65moa circle with an 1moa dot in the center.
tracksol, I'm pretty sure that is a 2MOA dot, not a 1MOA dot, in the PA M4 and M3 clones.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Bushnell TRS-25 and Primary Arms MicroDot both have 3MOA dot.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts

Bushnell Trophy "T" Dot has a 1MOA dot. The sight us user selectable for color. Red for low light. Green for daytime. Intensity settings too.

Personally I don't think that a 1MOA dot is overkill. Buy what you want. Shooting off hand standing, quick fire, 75ft.

I have a Primary Arms M3 Clone (3 MOA Dot) on my 15-Sport. It does fine, but I prefer a 1MOA dot because of the potential for greater accuracy.

At 100 yards I'd rather have the dot cover 1" than 3".
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts

I agree. I would rather have the 1MOA if I were to have a Mildot scope.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Howdy, this is my first post, been reading for a few weeks now though.

I bought my 15-22 as cheap ammo trainer for my Sig 516. I have a Eo 517 on the 516 and wanted something with a comparable sight picture for my 15-22. So I bought a clone.

Comparing them, well big quality difference up front. In fact the elevation and windage adjustment on my clone are opposite of normal scopes and my EO. Instead of adjusting to where you want the bullet to go, you have to adjust to wear it went, LOL. Plus mines doesn't have any click in the adjustments so you have to pay attention to changing the clock position for adjustment on the dial. Once I got it adjusted (after chasing my tail), it seemed to hold adjustment just fine. The good news is that the sight picture was very similiar once mounted up. So in that respect it was good and fits the bill for what I wanted.

If your goal is to set up your 15-22 like your .223/5.56 for practice, and you run an EO on that rifle. Then it fits the bill. Other then that, there are far better sights for the money for your 15-22.

By the way, love the 15-22 so far

BigRat
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Thanx for the info guys!

I always read the forum when I can for it always has good advise. It helps to "bounce" questions off other shooters. Bigrat, welcome to the forum! Your's was the best answer to what I was getting at...... if the clone was in anyway similiar, or just complete junk . Were the clones brightness settings acceptable in the daylight? Thanx again.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfSwiss View Post
tracksol, I'm pretty sure that is a 2MOA dot, not a 1MOA dot, in the PA M4 and M3 clones.
Are you talking about the single dot reticule or the circle/dot reticule?

The dot in the circle/dot reticule looks smaller to me than the single dot reticule, but it may just be my eyes playing tricks on me where the dot looks smaller since its inside a much larger circle.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIAWEASEL View Post
Were the clones brightness settings acceptable in the daylight? Thanx again.
acceptable, yes. As good as the EO, No. For most instances it is plenty bright. I could find situations where it could be on the light side, but they would be fairly rare in actual shooting conditions. Such as shooting at a target with the sun low on the horizon close to it. Shooting against normal backdrops on a sunny day such as, woods, fields, berms, etc., it's not an issue.

One thing I'm not sure about the clones though. I don't know if they are all the same, or if there are different manufacturers. If there are different manufacturers, that opens up another can of worms of possible differences.

Thanks for the welcome
BigRat
Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRat View Post
acceptable, yes. As good as the EO, No. For most instances it is plenty bright. I could find situations where it could be on the light side, but they would be fairly rare in actual shooting conditions. Such as shooting at a target with the sun low on the horizon close to it. Shooting against normal backdrops on a sunny day such as, woods, fields, berms, etc., it's not an issue.

One thing I'm not sure about the clones though. I don't know if they are all the same, or if there are different manufacturers. If there are different manufacturers, that opens up another can of worms of possible differences.

Thanks for the welcome
BigRat
I've looked into eotech clones for my 15-22 as well and from what I found it seems that they ARE made by different manufacturers and the quality varies a lot. Too much for me to take a gamble.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPes View Post
I have a Primary Arms M3 Clone (3 MOA Dot) on my 15-Sport. It does fine, but I prefer a 1MOA dot because of the potential for greater accuracy.

The single dot is 2MOA not 3.

That Bushnell Trophy T dot is pretty cool. How do you like it so far?
Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Bushnell Trophy "T" Dot has a 1MOA dot. The sight us user selectable for color. Red for low light. Green for daytime. Intensity settings too.

Personally I don't think that a 1MOA dot is overkill. Buy what you want. Shooting off hand standing, quick fire, 75ft.

Shooting a small dot at 25 yards will slow you down if shooting speed steel. Most serious shooters use C-Mores with dots as small as 6 MOA to as large as 16 MOA (I use an 8 MOA but I have tried 4 and 6). Has to do with some properties of the human eye. For precision shooting at longer distances get whatever dot size fits the scale of your targets or buy a scope.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:30 AM
Liked 68 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:

Actually you are shooting a 3" dot at 100 yards using the Bushnell Trophey. I use the same red dot on my CX4 .45.

Bushnell - 1x MP [730132P]
Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default not an expert

i also have a tru-glo on mine and it works pretty good but you will want to use it on the green dot in real bright sunshine so you can see it better but i think its worth the money
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

are you talking about the micro? a 1moa?? i thought it was a 3moa??
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksol View Post
Are you talking about the single dot reticule or the circle/dot reticule?

The dot in the circle/dot reticule looks smaller to me than the single dot reticule, but it may just be my eyes playing tricks on me where the dot looks smaller since its inside a much larger circle.
Hi tracksol, I'm talking about both. On a 15-22 I've found the PA with 2 MOA to be a terrific combination for just about everything out to 100 yards. Old eyes and 2 MOA red dots is a great combination in my experience.