Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 PM
If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel....... If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel....... If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel....... If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel....... If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel.......  
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel.......

If you bought a m&p 15-22 and it has that flash (what ever its called) thing at the end of the barrel... does that mean that you have a threaded barrel m&p 15-22?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 PM
If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel....... If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel....... If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel....... If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel....... If you bought the 15-22 with the flash thing at the end of the barrel.......  
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJays Saleen View Post
If you bought a m&p 15-22 and it has that flash (what ever its called) thing at the end of the barrel... does that mean that you have a threaded barrel m&p 15-22?
Yes, it does.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
Yes, it does.
So i'll be able to put a suppressor on mine no problem if it has that flash thing at the end? Does this just unscrew or do i need a special tool to remove it?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Liked 261 Times in 193 Posts

it depends how tight the flash hider is attached to the barrel. i was unable to unscrew it by hand. you have to be careful because you can twist the barrel inside the polymer frame and damage it. you can order a barrel clamp from tacticool22.com to hold it in a vise and them remove the hider to replace it with a suppressor.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0ady View Post
it depends how tight the flash hider is attached to the barrel. i was unable to unscrew it by hand. you have to be careful because you can twist the barrel inside the polymer frame and damage it. you can order a barrel clamp from tacticool22.com to hold it in a vise and them remove the hider to replace it with a suppressor.
Thanks for the input. So the model I have will take a suppressor then with no trouble?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Liked 230 Times in 149 Posts

I'd like to remove my compensator (what S&W calls the flash thing) as well, but can't see spending $25 on a special clamp for a one-time use. Could vise-grips or a crescent wrench be used to hold the barrel, if it was first wrapped with some brass or something? Obviously, I don't want to mar the finish.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Liked 75 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
I'd like to remove my compensator (what S&W calls the flash thing) as well, but can't see spending $25 on a special clamp for a one-time use. Could vise-grips or a crescent wrench be used to hold the barrel, if it was first wrapped with some brass or something? Obviously, I don't want to mar the finish.
Some people have used blocks of wood in a vice to protect the barrel.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 PM
US Veteran
Liked 305 Times in 193 Posts

if you router out a channel in the wood and use brass it will work but its easier to get the vice adapter and if your barrel nut becomes loose you will need it again.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2r6 View Post
Some people have used blocks of wood in a vice to protect the barrel.
Actually, I just tried that, and it worked! I had heard others who bored out a hole in between two blocks, like the steel/aluminum barrel clamps are done, but didn't have a decent way of doing that. I just took two pieces of wood, clamped in a vice hard, and voila - it's off. Thanks. ;-)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Liked 98 Times in 47 Posts

Take your leather pants holder up thingy and wrap it around the tube deal.

Put it in the clampy thing with the twisty knob.

Use butter knife though flash thing and spin off.

:P
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Liked 280 Times in 135 Posts

Righty tighty and lefty loosey?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxspudxx View Post

You mean the long, flat thingie with the sloped end? These technical descriptions make things tough!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 PM
US Veteran
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

First I had to learn endless acronyms now technical jargon!!! Yikes!!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the input. So the model I have will take a suppressor then with no trouble?
Make sure you send off to get a stamp thingy first.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Liked 2,141 Times in 770 Posts

And make sure it doesn't have the shoulder thing that goes up, or else you're out of luck
Old 07-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Liked 81 Times in 49 Posts

If you find that your "Flash Suppressor" won't come off easily, heat the barrel end over a gas stove (or propane torch) until warm, metal expands and it should come off easier.. Put the wrench on the locking nut and a quick hit with a hammer on the wrench end will ease the job.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 AM
Liked 378 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxspudxx View Post

:P
Too Funny!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E6type View Post
Make sure you send off to get a stamp thingy first.
or you might end up with one of those man love, boy friend by force thingies
Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Mine was hand tight when I bought it, it was brand spankin new, the dealer even threw in a free Gemtech Outback II faux suppressor.

I am "patiently" waiting on my stamp to be approved, so by November, my 15-22 will be sporting a new SWR Spectre II

Oh, and for the OP, in case you didn't know, you will need a crush washer for the suppressor.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic View Post
or you might end up with one of those man love, boy friend by force thingies
How do you go about getting the ok for a suppressor? And do you need the ok to have one or for multiple guns... reason I'm asking is because I have the 15-22, a P22, and a Savage FV-SR all of which I want to buy one suppressor and just put one each gun, didn't know how that whole being allowed to own a suppressor works?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Liked 468 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
How do you go about getting the ok for a suppressor?
Getting an NFA item is something you need to research carefully.

First, you need to make sure the state you live in allows you to own a suppressor.

Assuming it does, you'll still need CLEO permission to make the purchase, or you need to create a trust. Then there's the $200 tax stamp and ~6-month wait for BATFE approval. It's not like buying a bag of chips at the store.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Liked 480 Times in 275 Posts

Quote:
How do you go about getting the ok for a suppressor? And do you need the ok to have one or for multiple guns... reason I'm asking is because I have the 15-22, a P22, and a Savage FV-SR all of which I want to buy one suppressor and just put one each gun, didn't know how that whole being allowed to own a suppressor works?
$200 per tax stamp for each suppressor you want to own. So looks like $600 in tax stamps plus the cost of each suppressor for what you want.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-Getsome View Post
$200 per tax stamp for each suppressor you want to own. So looks like $600 in tax stamps plus the cost of each suppressor for what you want.
I think he was saying he wanted to buy ONE suppressor to put on whatever firearm he was going to be using. In that case the cost would be $200 plus suppressor.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplr View Post
I think he was saying he wanted to buy ONE suppressor to put on whatever firearm he was going to be using. In that case the cost would be $200 plus suppressor.
EXACTLY!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yup, just what they said above....I purchased the suppressor, took the forms to my local Sheriff's office, got fingerprinted, and a local background check...then sent it off to the BATF with $200....and now I'm just sitting here waiting impatiently....I will be swapping it between my 15-22, a Ruger MKII with pac-lite upper and a Firestorm/Bersa ...should be fun.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Liked 325 Times in 148 Posts

Is this a serious thread??
OP doesn't even know what the thingy on the of his bang-bang is called and wants to put on a noisey quieter thing of a bob on there.
Troll and dangerous at that.
Really??
Send him to M4 or Arfcom and the NFA sections. Sorry OP but what the heck?

Hobie