Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 10-15-2012, 08:39 AM
What do you do with your weapon "at the range" What do you do with your weapon "at the range" What do you do with your weapon "at the range" What do you do with your weapon "at the range" What do you do with your weapon "at the range"  
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Question What do you do with your weapon "at the range"

Does anyone shoot matches such as IDPA 2 and 3 gun matches or do you simply shoot at stationary targets from the firing line? I have been reading the forums here for a couple of weeks and have started researching the different type shooting challenges that I might could find once I finally get mine back (currently at S&W for repair, bought second hand). I live in a very rural area and while we do have a very nice gun range close by it has very limited choices to choose from regarding these type matches. I would (and can) volunteer to help start up these matches but I wanted to find out what others do at the range? With the cost of ammo today I cannot see spending the money on ammo, entry fee, fuel, etc on anything but .22 shooting (for me at least). Any ideas are welcome.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM
What do you do with your weapon "at the range" What do you do with your weapon "at the range" What do you do with your weapon "at the range" What do you do with your weapon "at the range" What do you do with your weapon "at the range"  
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

We shoot Steel Challenge and Rimfire Madness at the local club. Both are fun but tend to be dominated by modified 10/22's but the 15-22's are competitive.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Liked 658 Times in 365 Posts

I shoot IDPA 3 gun and Defensive Multi Gun stages with mine. That's the reason I bought it.

I know some hard as nails people who use them in shoot houses because they are less damaging to the shoot house, yet close enough to the real deal that the training isn't damaging.

DMG or 3 guns is a blast if run properly.

KBK
Old 10-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Liked 89 Times in 47 Posts

I sometimes use printed targets on the indoor rang I go to. You can select the color and size. Since the indoor range only goes to 25 yards I print off small circles (2 or 3 inch). FREE TARGETS from TARGETZ.com Other than that I usually mix it up with different or multiple targets.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Liked 378 Times in 165 Posts

I just pull the trigger and reload my magazines until I run out of ammo. :-)
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, this one time at band camp . . . . .
Old 10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts

I usually shoot the 45 27 times (three mags) then the 15-22 until the box of federal bulk 550 is gone.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts

My range doesn't have tactical rimfire challenges so I setup various paper targets and run my own when I'm the only one there.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelFuego View Post
I just pull the trigger and reload my magazines until I run out of ammo. :-)
You beat me to it!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Liked 122 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
You beat me to it!
We were all thinking it when we saw the topic, you know we were .
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zax View Post
We were all thinking it when we saw the topic, you know we were .
Openings like that are SO hard to resist!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts

My club allows the use of anything other then glass and food. So I usually setup numerous paper targets and I am going to make some steel targets to hang aswell. My range is only a 50 yard range at its max.

In the past I have shot some IDPA matches and they are fun if you get a good group of people to shoot it with.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironruger View Post
My club allows the use of anything other then glass and food.
Bummer! Food is great - apples, oranges, potatoes ... and all biodegradable!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Liked 357 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironruger View Post
My club allows the use of anything other then glass and food.
That really does suck. I also usually use food for the fun factor. Try the huge jug of cheese puffs from Walmart. There's hundreds of them in there and they're small enough to be a challenge. They also make a nice little orange cloud when hit dead center.

More on subject, I bought the 15-22 strictly for the slidefire. My sport is pretty versatile when it comes to what I do. But there's no matches of any kind in my town so for me it's either accuracy training(which I need a LOT of work on) or making a lot of noise to relieve stress.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,078 Posts

Sadly, my life is dedicated to shooting empty tin cans. You can elevate the stress level by having someone yell out which of the six cans to shoot. That makes it a little more challenging.

Last edited by Mike McLellan; 01-30-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Liked 195 Times in 112 Posts

Shoot what ever i see really.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLellan View Post
Sadly, my life is dedicated to shooting empty tin cans. You can elevate the stress level by having someone yell out which of the six cans to shoot. That makes it a little more challenging.
Just don't hit the sticks!!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Liked 1,923 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLellan View Post
Well,that's more fun,and in a better setting,than I have available.
It's a "paper target only" at the range that I visit,though I usually pick out small rocks on the hillside behind the target posts.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 PM
US Veteran
Liked 34 Times in 16 Posts

I'm stuck indoor range paper only. I got bored today and started hitting the staples holding my target on. Dropped it to the floor at the 20 yd line!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts

I shoot IDPA 2 gun matches with my 15-22 and my CZ75. The pistol is a 9mm, so ammo is not too bad on the wallet. It's a ton of fun and the people at a typical IDPA match are generally a good group.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:38 AM

One of my clubs allows anything, except the 50gal drums they have on the range for barricades but that is a cool range with literally a 100m backstop. Its in a quarry.

The other is a paper only range, and that paper needs to be a specific height above the ground because the local houses have more or less enveloped it now. BUT! They do have a kill house. That makes for some interesting IDPA shoots. You can't use full power center fire rifles in it, but the 15-22? Sure.

KBK
Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Liked 144 Times in 85 Posts
Default Tactical Matches

Here in Mesa, AZ we have a great range and club with plenty of tactical steel shooting. I would be happy to get you some of the stage set ups, even if you have to do them with paper if there are no steel plates available. We have our matches 2nd & 4th Tuesdays. While plinking is a great pleasure and past time, nothing, in my opinion, beats head to head competition for improving one's skill level. Besides, we all get to see the different guns and set ups we all use. Contact me off list if you are interested.
RichH
Rio Salado Sportsman's Club Member
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It is my Dynamic Service Rifle gun.

Which present targets varying from bowlingpin's, stationary claypigeons, CD's, plastic hands, IPSC targets or other papertargets.

A couple of weeks ago a new form of dynamic shooting was introduced here. It's called the Dutch Subgun Competition. It's a dynamic sport on short range ranges upto 25 metres max and for rifles in either .22 rimfire or pistolcartridges. Targets are steelplates.

Next to DSR this has the potential of getting mighty popular here in Holland. First test match was very well received by the participants. In November we'll have the second testmatch.
Competition will start in 2013. Can't wait.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Liked 173 Times in 51 Posts

I'm glad you posted this question because it gives me an opportunity to share my other passion with you guys and gals. While custom S&W revolvers is high on my list so is precision rifle shooting. Here is the 300 yard range at Fort Meade, MD I shoot on. I've been the Chief Range Safety Officer for the Meade Rifle and Pistol Club for 15 years. In the first picture I'm shooting my son's Rem 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag at 300 yards to see what it can do with commercial ammo. He's the one standing at the scope.

This is me at 300 yards with a new club member watching the bullet wake through the scope. Pretty cool if you've never seen it.

These show my set up at 200 yards testing my son's Rem 700 with commercial ammo. Only one brand (Win) would shoot sub-MOA. The target shows the results from one such test. The top was a 180 grain Winchester Supreme load costing better than $40 a box. Ouch. That's why I reload.

Here I'm testing and sighting in my new Springfield Mark I 1903 sold by Creedmore for vintage service rifle competition. It has a Criterion barrel (Kreiger) and shoots very nicely at 200 yards.

Last, the rifle is my Hall B varmint rifle in 257 Roberts Improved. I was getting 1" at 300 yds with fire forming loads. The target is from my 30-338 Win Mag 1000 yd gun recently acquired through a trade for a Bowen custom Model 27 in 44 Special. I was shooting at 300 yards doing load testing. The bullet up and left of group is the cold bore shot.

Thanks. I enjoyed sharing this with everyone.
Keith
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Liked 5,633 Times in 1,544 Posts

I shoot a game called Survivor. Unknown targets, unknown no-shoot shapes, unknown distances. Somebody else sets of the targets for you and calls the range, and you do the same for them. Example: "Orange clays are bad guys, bowling pins are little kids in the line of fire, and the two red squares are your own people."
Two rules:
1. Don't die.
2. Don't go to jail.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Liked 122 Times in 69 Posts

Here's some video shot with a rifle mounted 'TALON' camera mount and a Nikon P5100 Coolpix at our local tactical .22 matches:

Tactical .22 match at Rio Salado: Sept 25 stage 2 - YouTube

Tactical .22 match at Rio Salado stage 3 - YouTube
Old 10-17-2012, 02:16 PM
US Veteran
Liked 124 Times in 88 Posts

I shoot IDPA, steel challenge matches, and have just started Urban cowboy. Trigger time is trigger time in my opinion.

At our local club, if using the 15-22 you will not be scored, as the .22 is not considered in the power factor. So I only use the 15-22 on Steel challenge, and Urban cowboy.

Here are a few pictures from some of our IDPA matches and 2 gun.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grjfer View Post
I shoot IDPA, .....
At our local club, if using the 15-22 you will not be scored, as the .22 is not considered in the power factor..
Rimfires are included in their own category here. You still need a "proper" pistol caliber, but the .22's run against other .22's and center fire with center fire.

I run my 1911 in CDP and my Glock in ESP, with my rifle in Enhanced Centerfire (it's an AK with a RDS) and my 15-22 in Enhanced Rimfire.

SADPA is affiliated with IDPA, but we have our own local flavour on it. (I'm STILL trying to get them to remove the silly 10 round rule)

I don't know if it is an international norm yet, but Saiga style shotguns are good to go here (as are other removable magazine shotguns)
Old 10-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I shoot on family land. My tables are setup with targets at 10, 25 and 50 yards away, I can always go farther back if I wanted. I shoot 4" and 8" dia. steel plates. I also setup cans, clays and paper. Sometimes we do head to head accuracy challenge on the plates at varying distances.