Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Spray on taticoolness! Spray on taticoolness! Spray on taticoolness! Spray on taticoolness! Spray on taticoolness!  
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default Spray on taticoolness!

I thought I'd share some results I got doing a cheap mod to my 15/22. I've been shopping for a cheaper ($70-$100)optic I could add to the rifle for several days but just haven't been able to come up with anything that I thought I'd be happy with spending my $ on...so... I new I had a couple cheaper 4 power scopes in my safe that I'd had for more than a few years and an array of diffrent mounts to go with them. The only reason i didnt want to use them was the glossy black finish they had that was not the least bit tactical looking. so I pulled one of them out and a pair of mounts from and old black powder rifle project and bought a can of aerosol spray on Bed liner..thats right, spray on bed liner! A couple hours later this was the end result!! Let me know whatcha think! And yes I'm a south paw and swaped my safety to the " correct" side LOL

Last edited by XDmarksman; 12-11-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 PM
US Veteran
Spray on taticoolness! Spray on taticoolness! Spray on taticoolness! Spray on taticoolness! Spray on taticoolness!  
Liked 959 Times in 516 Posts

Looks pretty good! Any way to get a better shot?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Liked 263 Times in 143 Posts

Looks pretty cool! But not as cool as that Disney Cars board game I see in the background....
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Lol it is very cool but actually it's a "cars" play carpet! It's provided many hours of play time for my little jounior marksman!
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Liked 263 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDmarksman View Post
Lol it is very cool but actually it's a "cars" play carpet! It's provided many hours of play time for my little jounior marksman!
I was close. It would be even better if you said you were using it as your 15-22 cleaning mat.

Using the truck bed liner is kind of a neat idea. That stuff is supposed to be real tough right?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyezahn View Post
Looks pretty good! Any way to get a better shot?
Correct! My furthest steel plate target on my range is 130 yards out, the best I've done since the optic mount is 18 hits out of a 25 round mag!Holding over it a tad that is :-) its an absolute blast!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterlyShotgroup View Post

Using the truck bed liner is kind of a neat idea. That stuff is supposed to be real tough right?
Yea I supose it is, my thoughts were if I screwed it up I wouldn't be loosing a lot, I gave like 30 bucks for the scope 8-9 years ago. If it hold up great and if not ill either pull it off and recoat it of just go another route. Thanks for your replies!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Liked 35 Times in 11 Posts

I like the idea. I was thinking about the same thing for a knife handle that came apart. I figure it will take a few days, and an entire can of liner to get the thickness I want, then a drummer to clean it up and put the shape I want into it.

Good job, it looks great. Another coat or two, and I bet it could survive a small fall... You would have to rezero the thing, but I bet it could survive.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkillion View Post

Good job, it looks great. Another coat or two, and I bet it could survive a small fall... You would have to rezero the thing, but I bet it could survive.
Your probably correct. I put like 4-5 coats on it during the initial application but I should have let all that cure out completely and then added 4-5 more coats. If it dosent hole up we'll I may do that. Everyone that seen it in person can't beleive it's a spray can job, it looks like it was bought that way!

Last edited by XDmarksman; 12-11-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Liked 35 Times in 11 Posts

Maybe buff it down smooth after your done with another four or five coats, and have itlooking like a regular armored scope. Even inlay your name or initials into it and color it in, make it really custom. Ok, I have a job to do myself... This is going to be fun.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,211 Times in 740 Posts

very nice indeed
SWCA#2208
KK4EMO
Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Looks nice. Another choice is Plastikote. If you dont like it, you can peel it off. Ive used it on wheels and auto trim, works good....
Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Liked 603 Times in 250 Posts

Looks pretty good.

If it were mine, I think I would have used Duracoat.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Matte black paint ...
Flat black paint ...
Clear Matte spray ...

Truck bed spray is the last thing I would have ever thought of.

To each his own weirdness.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Liked 195 Times in 112 Posts

Another option to peel off (assuming you want black accessories) is plasti dip. Works wonders...Use it on my drag wheels and other misc stuff
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Liked 65 Times in 37 Posts

we did liners for about 5 years up until recently. big $15k machine and 2 50 gal drums of chems that it mixes.

lets just say that we tended to do a bit more than just truck beds when we got bored. pretty much anything you can think of, we sprayed it.

tools, gun stocks, bumpers. hell I have a 3 foot long bird feeder coated in it
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 AM
Liked 217 Times in 103 Posts

That is a great idea for the protection of the scope (though I see some folks going overboard with Rhino-liner). And it illustrates my theories of (A.) never throwing gun-stuff away; and (B.) not overspending on optics. Many folks seem to throw money at monster scopes and sights with capabilities that will never get used. If the stuff is going to do double-duty on a LaRue or Bushmaster as well as a 15-22 then perhaps it's justifiable but I have seen $3000 night-vision scopes with infra-red assist squatting on the top of a $275 10-22 Archangel! And the guy holding it was about as likely a Special-Ops candidate as I am to run a marathon!
I have to wonder what the birds think about that feeder...
Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Liked 92 Times in 43 Posts

I also would never have thought of bed liner.

Isn't that stuff awfully thick? Is the stuff in a can that much thinner?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Liked 65 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post

a typical truck spray liner is between 1/16"and 1/8".
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post

Yes the aerosol stuff is much thinner than the professionally applied stuff.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 746 Times in 194 Posts

Is that a Simmons .22 Mag scope? It sure does look like it and I decided to do the same thing to my extra one this summer. Mine was silver when I started. Then I got carried away and did the whole rifle.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Nice paint job!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdshooter View Post
Is that a Simmons .22 Mag scope?
Actually it's a tasco but I have a Simmons that's exactly like it. Yours looks great!