Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell

Hi,

I'm planning to video why a lot of people have a good reason for buying a military style civilian weapon, so I have a couple of 15-22's, and ordered an Eotech XPS2-0 for one of them. I will order a TRS-25 also.

The rifles have Magpul flip up sights, and I'd like to know if I need a riser to get co-witness or lower 1/3 co-witness with these sights. I'd like to set the Eotech rifle up for absolute co-witness, and the Bushnel rifle for lower 1/3 co-witness.

Will something like this work with the Bushnell? Amazon.com: UTG Low Profile Riser Mount with 13 slots: Sports & Outdoors

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 PM
US Veteran
Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell Do I need a riser for Eotech or Bushnell  
Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

You will need a riser for the TRS-25 for absolute co-witness, but I don't remember what height off the top of my head. I think it is 1/2"....
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts

You need a bit more than a 1/4" riser if you want 1/3 co-witness on the EOTech. I have an XPS 2-0 on my m&p 15x but I have an iron front post so it's much more neccassary to get the front sight out of my sight picture. Since they are flip up sights you do not a riser but to co witness you will. Larue and YHM make one that fits it very well. I have both. The YHM is on my 15x now and it's rock solid and only about $35 to $40.

Last edited by ESW; 01-10-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 PM

That is too high for EOTech, but i'm not sure on your other site.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have the UTG medium riser for my Bushnell TRS-25.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Liked 132 Times in 54 Posts

Pretty sure the only line of Eotechs that do not need a riser for lower 1/3 is the EXPS3 line. They come with a QD mount that sets it up perfect on an AR.

Mine is an EXPS3-4
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ESW,
Are you saying the UTG low riser is too high because .5" rise will give something more like lower 1/3 co-witness with the XPS2-0 and MBUS sights? Sounds like I need some type of riser, but less than .5" ? ? ? YHM is out of everything, but they say .5" rise too.
Color me confused.

Megsxr750, does the medium riser give you lower 1/3 co-witness?

Thanks guys,
Todd
Old 01-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by les strat View Post
Pretty sure the only line of Eotechs that do not need a riser for lower 1/3 is the EXPS3 line. They come with a QD mount that sets it up perfect on an AR.
I had seen that the EXPS3 would give lower 1/3, but I figured I'd save $150 and get the XPS2-0. Especially since I wanted to set the Eotech up for absolute co-witness.

I want to set the rifle with the Bushnell TRS-25 on it up for lower 1/3 co-witness.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 AM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
I want to set the rifle with the Bushnell TRS-25 on it up for lower 1/3 co-witness.
We set my son's rifle up for lower 1/3 witness originally and had to change it. The LED that projects the dot is in the way if you try to go for lower 1/3. We had to go with absolute with the TRS-25.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 AM
US Veteran
Liked 116 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:

Thanks,
Todd
the medium UTG mount (0.83") will give absolute. the high UTG mount (1") will give lower 1/3.

as cyphertext said, the area where the beam emits from at 5:00 blocks part of the front sight and it is distracting at first. i got used to it.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
ESW,
Are you saying the UTG low riser is too high because .5" rise will give something more like lower 1/3 co-witness with the XPS2-0 and MBUS sights? Sounds like I need some type of riser, but less than .5" ? ? ? YHM is out of everything, but they say .5" rise too.
Color me confused.

Thanks guys,
Todd
The YHM-220 is .300 not .500. I think the LaRue is something like .285.

.500 riser would be much lower in the sight window or possibly off the bottom of the site. these EOTech riser are very short.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 AM

EOTech Riser [YHM-220] - $46.00 : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

Try googling YHM-220, you'll find them. I bought one several months ago. I'm sure there are plenty from various vendors. Obama is not planning to use "Executive Order" to skirt the 2nd amendment and ban risers ~ Wait, how knows maybe he is- flipping communist. Mad face here < > I digress.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Liked 658 Times in 365 Posts

I thought the Eotech was designed to be used flat on the rail? I will admit the least Eotech I used was about 3 years ago because I am an Aimpoint fanboy.

KBK
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Guys,

Cyphertext, you said you had to change the height of the Bushnell on your son's rifle.
Did you lower it to have absolute co-witness, or does the LED emitter block even more of the site set up that way?

If the Bushnell works better in absolute co-witness with the Magpul sites, maybe I should mount the Bushnell for absolute co-witness,
and set up the Eotech scoped rifle with lower 1/3 co-witness using the riser ESW pointed me to.

ESW, thanks for letting me know those risers were sold by other places. I thought it was a proprietary item I had to order from them.
There are plenty of places that have them in stock.
Also, I'm getting this stuff to hopefully use in a video response to CNN/Piers Morgan/and other media sources who are providing a lot of misinformation to the public. Even got a simple 4x32 Bushnell scope for my Marlin 880, and now I have to figure out how to mount that as well. (Can you tell I'm not an optics guy?)
Todd
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
US Veteran

We went lower for absolute. His rifle is set up with the magpul BUS, both front and rear, and the TRS-25 on the riser.

Soundwave is correct. The .83" riser is the one you need for absolute. I bought all three sizes and the .5" and the 1" are back in the packages in the spare parts box.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank you. I'll get the medium UTG riser.

Last question on the Bushnell rifle. Will the short riser be enough: Amazon.com: UTG Medium Profile Riser Mount with 3 slots: Sports & Outdoors
or should I get the 5.7" long version? The longer version is actually less $.
Todd
Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM
US Veteran

The short one is enough, but we currently have the longer rail on his rifle. With the Magpul BUS, it currently bridges the receiver and rail by one slot, which I don't like but I already had the rail and just haven't made it back over to the store to pick up the short riser. I think it is a personal preference though.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts

I use the UTG Leapers 3 Slot Angle Mount QD System (MAD0340) on the TRS-25 which is 1.03" tall and I have lower 1/3... love the mount and the fact it is QD so I can remove quick and use BUIS and it is a minimal mount with just enough slots for the TRS-25. They cost under $15.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks, that one does look cool, but I actually ordered the short one from optics planet already.
This is becoming an expensive project !
Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM

I like it as it allows for a 45* mount also so later on down the line, that mount could serve double duty under a scope for a 45* reflex I have.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts

I've put my Eotech 522 on my 15-22 MOE mounted directly to the receiver and have pure cowitness with the Magpul sights. I like it as the front sight is in the center of the Eotech window as opposed to the lower 1/3.

Last edited by Rolex24; 01-11-2013 at 04:04 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts

I added pictures to my previous post.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts

Quoted from an earlier thread: I use a 1" UTG 3-slot riser under a Bushnell TRS 25 for full witness with my MagPul front. I swap it out with a scope occasionally, and the UTG/TRS combo holds zero very well.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Liked 357 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked-N-Loaded View Post
I like it as it allows for a 45* mount also so later on down the line, that mount could serve double duty under a scope for a 45* reflex I have.
And you can use the 45* feature, and add a ladder rail pointing towards the back and have a makeshift brass deflector
Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dikinalaska View Post
And you can use the 45* feature, and add a ladder rail pointing towards the back and have a makeshift brass deflector
As a right handed shooter, I never have issues with the brass so as much as I love mods and such, this will be one I never do. And IF I ever did, I would want one of the neater in-progress deflectors seen here. The ladder trick might work, but is a little ghetto for me I like things more properly designed.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Liked 357 Times in 238 Posts

Ya I don't see ever doing it either, just heard its nice for brass not flying. I have about an equal balance between doing it the right way, and using what you've got. Agree on the ghetto aspect tho.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked-N-Loaded View Post
As a right handed shooter, I never have issues with the brass so as much as I love mods and such, this will be one I never do. And IF I ever did, I would want one of the neater in-progress deflectors seen here. The ladder trick might work, but is a little ghetto for me I like things more properly designed.
Since, at this point, the Southern-engineered model is the only game in town, I have it on mine and both grandson's rifles. It works and that's more important to me than looks. As for the other one, it's been "in another couple of weeks" for about three, maybe four, months now.