Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM
How much $ on a scope? How much $ on a scope? How much $ on a scope? How much $ on a scope? How much $ on a scope?  
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Question How much $ on a scope?

I have read about "cheap scopes" and the problems they will give you. But I wonder, how much do you need to spend on a scope before it is no longer a "cheap scope"? I did not find this info yet. Maybe I missed it. If I did, I apologize.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 PM
How much $ on a scope? How much $ on a scope? How much $ on a scope? How much $ on a scope? How much $ on a scope?  
Liked 503 Times in 239 Posts

Well... That's a tough call because there are some great cheap scopes out there.. The big issue with cheap scopes is always going to be Quality Control. Meaning that you may get one out of the box that's a Home Run (my experience with my NcStar Mark III One Sight System) but others have bought the same sight and had issues. But the plus is that the company will make it right, so you may have to deal with some down time till it's right. Or you may just get the home run out of the box.

Some companies are better than others.. Primary Arms is known for offering affordable optics with great quality control. NcStar not always the case.. Not sure about Leapers/UTG.

If you want a really good "Not Cheap" scope well then... there are tons of brands.. Nikon, Leupold, Trijicon, Specter, EOtech, MEPro, Burris etc..
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Liked 245 Times in 111 Posts

When I was in the market for my 1st entry level scope, I used a website like Midway's that allowed me to narrow my search based on 1)max price, 2)most favorable reviews, and 3)features. That way, you'll at least get a feel what the majority of users like. Warranty is important to some, and Vortex's warranty is among the best in the industry. The mount / rings are important as well, and often add a significant amount of cost to the purchase. Lastly, it's probably good to know what the lighting will be like where you will be using it. If you shoot indoor ranges, or in dimly lit areas, a battery-powered illuminated reticle will be very nice to have. If you only shoot during the day, something like that will be a wasted feature. Hope this helps...good luck!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

I read some where that your scope should be in the same price range as the cost of your firearm. I will probably never afford to use that math myself but, I just picked up a Redfield Revenge scope for one of my rifles and the glass is nice and has some great features for $220.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Liked 245 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellarum View Post
I read some where that your scope should be in the same price range as the cost of your firearm. I will probably never afford to use that math myself but, I just picked up a Redfield Revenge scope for one of my rifles and the glass is nice and has some great features for $220.
In my humble opinion, if your scope is not intended for hunting or self defense, your scope should do 2 things: Allow you to see your target clearly, and stay as close to zero as possible. Again...just an opinion, but you could get into some really nice optics suitable for a 15-22 for half of what the rifle costs.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:47 PM

There is no defacto standard that says "You must spend X amount on Y Rifle" it's up to whatever you can justify price wise and what quality level and functions you want/need.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Liked 1,408 Times in 775 Posts
Default cheap scopes

to answer the op's ? I think it would depend on the financial situation of the individual. I've been called well beyond frugal but will spend whatever it takes to get what I want when it comes to guns, optics and holsters. I've never regretted paying too much for something of good quality. I've had plenty of regrets spending less money on cheaper stuff I didn't like and ended up replacing. buy quality once and only once and be happy you did every time you use it.
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Absent Comrade
Liked 12,383 Times in 2,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangnoose View Post
buy quality once and only once and be happy you did every time you use it.
And,you never have to make excuses.
f.t.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 AM
Liked 333 Times in 176 Posts

Don't forget your budget range for a rifle scope!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 AM
Liked 11,453 Times in 3,023 Posts

A lot of good glass in the $200.00 or so range. Leupold VX-1, Bushnell 3200, Burris Fullfield, Nikon Buckmaster, among others, come to mind.

Larry
Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Liked 439 Times in 233 Posts

There's some very good advice that's been posted, but as someone who recently went through the scope buying process for the first time I'll echo some of the important thoughts.

You need to know what you're shopping for before sinking money into a scope so you don't buy something that isn't suited what you need.

Will you be shooting long distance? Low light? Shooting different distances frequently? Do you need a larger diameter scope?

All of these have a role in choosing the scope that's right for you.

I'll also reiterate that you should buy the best scope that does what you want it to. Scopes are a "buy once cry once" item, but as an optic, they're what allow you to derive joy from shooting.

Buying one that is a "good deal" that may **** out on you down the road, not hold zero well, or has ****** customer service, just to save a few bucks isn't wise. Buy the best scope you can within your budget or save a little more to get what you want instead of compromising for something cheaper.

Personally, I went for a Primary Arms scope that cost just over $200 so there are good scopes to be had for those with smaller budgets. It's met all of my needs and then some.

Good luck!
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 AM
Liked 1,550 Times in 685 Posts

In my experience - as much as the rifle - if you're going for distance.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Liked 354 Times in 161 Posts

Bill, I take it you wish to scope a 15-22, in my case one of mine is set up with a $100 scope that I bought on Ebay and it has a lighted cross hair ( or not) 1.5x4 variable power, 30 mm tube and a neat cantilever mount. Would I put it on a 3 gun match rifle? No, but works great on the 15-22 and adds over a pound giving the rifle better feel. On an AR I bought a cantilever mount for 20 bucks on ebay and a BSA 2x scope from Midway for $40. This thing is great for short range and holds zero under all the conditions I have subjected it. Then there is the Eotech on a DPMS .308....point being I can spend what I want for the needed result, however, if you pay for a quality you normally will not be disappointed.

Last edited by Ibmikey; 07-31-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:58 AM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

For the typical plinking, can-killing and occasional squirrel hunting, the UTG 3-9x32 BugBuster is hard to beat, especially at the price.

Amazon.com: UTG 3-9x32 Compact CQB Bug Buster AO RGB Scope with Med. Picatinny Rings, 2" Sunshade: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415TUy7w-kL.@@AMEPARAM@@415TUy7w-kL

Both my oldest grandson and I have them on our rifles and are very satisfied.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 AM

My Bug Buster is a neat scope up to about 5x after that it is not as clear as I would like, but at what distance are you going to shoot a 15-22 that 5x will not accommodate? I found a need for YHM 1/2" risers to be comfortable. The 1.5x4 Monstrum with cantilever mount I spoke of in an earlier thread works better on a 15-22 for me.
I hope all the suggestions have not confused rather than aided answering the original question.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

It's a scope, not a wedding ring.

I don't agree that the scope should cost as much as the rifle. That's only important for people who want bragging rights on an internet forum IMO.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Liked 468 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher Slayer View Post
I don't agree that the scope should cost as much as the rifle. That's only important for people who want bragging rights on an internet forum IMO.
And we all know what opinions are worth...

How much you pay for an optic depends on a lot of things, including your budget, the rifle's intended use, and what you want.
If you want to put an ACOG on your 15-22, can afford it, and decide it's the best fit for you after researching it, then what other people think should be irrelevant. You will always be able to find someone on an internet forum who thinks your choice is the stupidest thing they ever heard of.
Sometimes they're right, and sometimes they're wrong. But in the end, it's your rifle. As long as you made an informed decision after considering your needs and budget, and the actual capabilities and reputation of the product, then you did good.
Of course, if you don't really know what you need, don't properly research your purchase and buy blindly, then yeah, you probably screwed up.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Liked 205 Times in 93 Posts

One thing to remember is that in most cases you get what you pay for.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Liked 1,550 Times in 685 Posts

My Ruger 10/22 has a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 BDC on top.

Rifle: $180
Scope $225

It is a great setup for my aging eyes, hence my previous post.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 AM

GM, I must agree with your choice, the Nikon optics are hard to beat for the price. I have the same scope on a .17 HMR and for the money is hard to beat.
My threads on this topic were simply to state you can go inexpensive and be happy (I am) or you can spend a lot for quality optics and be happy ( I have and am). What an individual purchases should please him not other forum posters ( me included) who are simply offering first hand experience.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
My Bug Buster is a neat scope up to about 5x after that it is not as clear as I would like, but at what distance are you going to shoot a 15-22 that 5x will not accommodate? I found a need for YHM 1/2" risers to be comfortable. The 1.5x4 Monstrum with cantilever mount I spoke of in an earlier thread works better on a 15-22 for me.
I hope all the suggestions have not confused rather than aided answering the original question.
If you use tall rings in the first place, a riser is often not necessary. It sure is with the medium rings supplied with the scope.

I haven't noticed any particular loss of clarity at higher powers, but most of my shooting is under 6x, even at 100 yards.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts

My advice is stay clear of the really cheap optics on the web, especially ebay and the likes. If you want to go cheap, buy from the local Academy or even walmart and that way if it is a **** shoot, you can return it fast and easy.

Why do I say this? Well because I tried it and ended up spending way too much on several different cheap clones before I got one that worked. Would have been better off buying a used quality optic IMO

Nothing wrong with bargain hunting on the web for quality optics though.

Also, since the introduction of the EOtech XPS, it seems very good deals can be found on original EOtech sites I think 512 and 522 are the model numbers but not sure. Anyway I have seen these for under $300 NIB on closeout
Old 07-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Just to clarify my post...

I don't think it's stupid to buy an optic that costs as much or more than the rifle. I've done it myself.

I just don't agree with the "ARFCOM formula" that says the optic SHOULD cost as much as the rifle it's going on. That reminds me of the wedding ring formula.

My $750 Elk rifle has a $250 optic on it. It's taken more abuse than I'd like to admit and has never failed me.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Liked 468 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
I just don't agree with the "ARFCOM formula" that says the optic SHOULD cost as much as the rifle it's going on. That reminds me of the wedding ring formula.
Ahh. That makes a lot more sense.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
That's only important for people who want bragging rights on an internet forum IMO.

I so agree!!!!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Default SCOPE COST

should we spend as much on the scope as the gun, NO we should spend lots more, IF we were all rich. shoot a scope made in Germany or Sweden, then tell me you wouldn't want one. do I own one YET, no I don't, but I never thought I'd own a Remington 40xb or zeiss binoculars either. I made tremendous sacrifices to buy the good stuff. and 20 years later every time I look thru the Zeiss binocs I say wow. did it hurt back in the early 90's? hell yeah. but averaged over 20 years of viewing pleasure it's a steal. I also have a Nikon buckmaster 3x9 scope that is still going strong bought at the same time for CONSIDERABLY less. you can't put a price tag on some things. sitting courtside for a Knicks- Celtics game at MSG for instance, no I didn't buy the tickets. I did pay for the beer. It's all about what's it worth for YOU, and if you can appreciate and take advantage of the extra quality.

Last edited by hangnoose; 07-31-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Default your ignorance is showing

nobody told you about using the words, ALWAYS,NEVER,ONLY,GUARANTEED etc. they usually come back to bite you. very little is 100% certain in this life.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 PM
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

You can put $70 centerpoint scope optic from Walmart to plink a target 50-100 yards or add $60-100 red dot sight (Bushnell, UTG, ...) to shoot in closer range. For 22LR shooting, even the cheap optics (sub $100) can give you plenty of enjoyment out of your MP15-22. Of course, you can also put a $1.8K ACOG with RMR to plink targets if you can afford it .

If you only going to use it for MP15-22, most of cheap scopes with good adjustments will let you zero and enjoy shooting. If you need optics for other calibers, then you will need to pay a bit more for more robust adjustments, good eye relief, clear view, illumination, ... The question is what is worth to you and how much you can spare?
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_vtec View Post
Of course, you can also put a $1.8K ACOG with RMR to plink targets if you can afford it .
It's just a joke that optic is for the 5.56 I have an NcStar Mark III on the 15-22 and it's treated me well and was under $200
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Liked 254 Times in 84 Posts

Depends on use.

I lived in Alaska for 35 years. When I put a scope on my rifle I considered it would be used for hunting and very possibly for self defense (big bears).

It had to remain clear and on target. It would receive heavy use. Carried on snow machines, in boats and on airplanes. It would be used in some of the worse weather and in the most extreme conditions in North America.

When I saved my money, as well as my time off, to take a 10-day fly-in hunt it was imperative my scope functioned.

I have seen many malfunctioning Bushnells, Tascos, and Simmons, to name a few.
I never had a failure of a Leupold (or old Redfield or old Weaver). The Leupolds I chose usually cost me about 75% of the value of my rifle. There were cheaper as well as much more expensive models, but the models with the features I used for hunting fell into that range.

Now, how about the guy in Florida, or Colorado, or wherever that may sight in his rifle with 1 or 2 shots each year, if at all, and most likely will ride around in the cab of a pickup truck a couple of mornings (if it doesn't rain) and will poke the muzzle out the window and actually shoot at a deer once every 8 years?
If he misses a deer its no big deal because his family won't go hungry . If the cross hairs fall apart he can replace the scope by stopping at Walmart on the way home. The most dangerous thing he will deal with is a stuck seat belt when they stop for beer.
About any scope that fits his rifle should suffice.

So, it depends on use.

Do you need dependability through extreme temps and rough handling? Do you need clarity in the brush at twilight? Do you shoot a hard recoiling gun that may shake the scope's innards loose?

If so, you must pay for it!

Now that I am retired and live where the weather is a little friendlier and I am hunting when I walk out my back door, I find old habits hard to break.
But I am using a Vortex on a long-range rifle and so-far I'm happy with it. I have tried a couple rather inexpensive red dot sights and lasers on my range AR's and practice handguns and found some have problems over time.

I think a good rule for buying guns and scopes is: If it is for serious use, get the best you can afford.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 PM

Suckersrus,

I agree with that completely! And here's the rub, a 15-22 is not for "serious use". It's not for big game hunting, it's certainly not a primary go-to weapon for critical self defense and for chasing paper it's a 3 to 3.5 MOA rifle. That narrows down the how serious of an optic that needs to be mounted to this platform.

With that being said, if someone wants to put an expensive optic on it, go for it! But there are affordable options out there that are well suited for the design philosophy of this platform.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade
Liked 651 Times in 269 Posts

What to spend on a scope depends on many factors including: what caliber, distance to target, size of target, stationary target or moving target, is the target a dangerous animal? For plinking with a .22, I would keep it way under the price of the rifle. If you are talking long range big game hunting, a good scope might cost as much as or more than the rifle. If you are looking to compete in 2,000 yard matches, the scope might cost two or three times the cost of the rifle.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 PM

Charlie,

I just did a quick google search and more than a few recommended the Vortex Razor ($2K) for 2K yards. That's substantially cheaper than a .50 cal.

For $1300 you could get a nice Trijicon 5-20 x 50!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Default BUDGETS

If I stayed within my budget I'd own nothing worth over 200$. anything nice I have, I left the budget in another area code. and most important, don't let the wife find out. "you remember this gun, we shot it at the range that time".
Old 08-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Bill, I take it you wish to scope a 15-22, in my case one of mine is set up with a $100 scope that I bought on Ebay and it has a lighted cross hair ( or not) 1.5x4 variable power, 30 mm tube and a neat cantilever mount. Would I put it on a 3 gun match rifle? No, but works great on the 15-22 and adds over a pound giving the rifle better feel. On an AR I bought a cantilever mount for 20 bucks on ebay and a BSA 2x scope from Midway for $40. This thing is great for short range and holds zero under all the conditions I have subjected it. Then there is the Eotech on a DPMS .308....point being I can spend what I want for the needed result, however, if you pay for a quality you normally will not be disappointed.
I actually have one of the same 1.5-4x scopes you mention. It works well for many types of activity. The only reason I changed to a different 1-4x28 scope from Sniper, Inc. ($140) was to get a reticle that more closely matched the one on the $400 Burris MTAC 1-4x24 currently on my 3-gun AR for practice use.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks all for all the info. You gave way more than I expected.

Bill
Old 02-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

My first scope for this rifle was a Nikon 4x30. I think it ended up being $90 retail. I didn't think that was a cheap scope. Nikon obviously makes good quality lenses and glass, and my Nikon 5100 is an awesome DSLR. I ended up selling the scope a couple months later because I didn't think it fit the look of the rifle well, and was more suited to a Ruger 10/22, and replaced it with a covered red dot, but the scope itself was perfect.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I have about $100 left in Amazon gift cards from Christmas. I've been looking for a cheap but decent ~$100 scope for my 15-22. It's a paper puncher and my only rifle. I can't imagine dropping more than $100 on one. So much junk to wade through on Amazon though...
Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Liked 129 Times in 76 Posts

Take a look at Primary Arms branded optics. They are seriously nice for the money and well-backed by a great company. I have one of their RDS optics for one of my ARs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 PM
US Veteran
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Has anyone tried a micro dot sight from Primary Arms on their 15-22, or on any other firearm?
John
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 PM

I haven't tried their microdot but that's exactly what I have my eye on. The RDS I have sitting for one of my ARs is their full 30mm tube. It's a very nice, combat capable scope. Given my experience, I have no hesitation in purchasing another PA optic. The micro dot only weighs about 4 ounces and I'm sure is super clean and bright. I'd personally rather have a Primary Arms optic over the competitor's Bushnell TRS-25.

Last edited by Decipher; 02-09-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 PM
US Veteran
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the quick response. I've been looking at lots of reviews-very confusing- but the PA looked good for the price.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 PM

My pleasure. You can't go wrong with PA. Great company and always quick to answer my inquires.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhm4040 View Post
Has anyone tried a micro dot sight from Primary Arms on their 15-22, or on any other firearm?
John
I've run one on both my 15-22 and AR15 and have been very pleased. They are light and very fast. The price is great too.

If you want more scope then check out the Mueller APT. I have one on my Savage .22and it's been great.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 AM
Default NO IT'S NOT A WEDDING RING

I take much better care of my scopes. Rings I've lost, bent to the point of no return, etc. The good one stays in the drawer most of the time while the cheapo gets the day to day abuse. The most common scope mistakes IMO, a big scope on a small gun & too much mag power. Lot's of power is nice from a bench but can be counterproductive in the field. A 1.5x5, 2.5x, 4x, 2x7 can be accurate to 300 yds & be better up close on the lowest settings. My motto is dig deep for quality optics & leave your budget in the rear view window, when single I ate a lot of mac & cheese/ramen noodles, couldn't take dates out to dinner or hang out in bars, but those memories fade and am glad I paid thru the nose every time I look thru my German binocs even 25 years later. $1,000$ for 25+ years of happy use is a bargain if you can take care of them & not lose them. 100$ for optics you can't stand each time you look thru them & have to replace 3 times aint woth it IMO.

Last edited by hangnoose; 02-10-2014 at 01:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
It's a scope, not a wedding ring.

Then I guess you are not a serious shooter then. The only people who says those things are ones that have never had the chance to use one of those $1000-$3000 scopes. They say things like that because they are trying to justify to others that there is no need for a scope in that price range. They cost that much for a reason. Sometimes the reason is mil-spec ruggedness. I am not saying that every person needs one, especially on a 15-22. The scope on my 3-gun AR is a $400 Burris MTAC 1-4x24. That was put on there after I had trouble with my first scope, a Firefield 1-6x24 ($150). Admittedly I was planning on going to the Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x24 ($1299) because it was, bar none, the finest scope I had ever looked thru (except for my gunsmith's Nightforce), but some SUV repairs reduced my budget, and the Burris was the best one under $500 that I had a chance to look thru and met my design wants (also owned by my gunsmith). When I built my .308 long range bolt gun I put my old faithful BSA Mil-Mil MRAD 4-14x44 ($250) which is likely the best scope in its price range, but it was only on there to get it tuned out to about 600 yards. To get to 1000 yards I had to replace it with a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 ($950) because even with a 20 MOA offset rail it is about the cheapest you can use that will allow enough elevation on the turret to reach 1000 yards. Until you shoot a box at long range you have no idea if your turret repeatability is good enough for long range shooting. I am willing to bet just about nothing under $600 is good enough. A scope has to cost at least $1200 to get the brightest and best glass in it as that is what special low dispersion glass costs. Scopes without it routinely start getting weak and fuzzier around 2/3rd of the way up the power scale. The expensive scopes are dead sharp at the max power setting.
On the other hand there are plenty of people who have the money to buy the most expensive cameras available. But that does not make them photographers. And just like that many buy the Nightforce or US Optics, or Zeiss rifle scopes who are not serious shooters. But by buying the best equipment they only have themselves to blame if they can't shoot. Because they did buy the best they only cry once as they say.
So for a 15-22 that is a mall ninja toy, any scope or airsoft clone is fine. If you want it to actually shoot well than spending up to $250 is more than sufficient because you are only working on an envelop of about 200 yards max with a rifle that is 2-4 MOA at best. I spent $140 for the 1-4x28 BDC scope I use on the 15-22 I use for 3-gun practice. It has a reticle similar enough to the Burris MTAC that I can use it.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Liked 274 Times in 107 Posts

When and if you can....try to physically look at or compare scopes side by side. Guns shows or large retailers offer the best potential for doing this. Red Dots range in quality, clarity and dot size. Also, your EYE's have a lot to do with it. Folks with various eye conditions will see a large 'flame' verse a dot with some scopes, others will provide a much better 'dot' picture. Having said that, a low power, cross-hair scope may work better. I have a 2X post-style scope that is just wonderful to use. I love it every time I shoot it.

We are all different (eye's) and have different budgets and preferences. The best way to make an informed choice is to compare and contrast. Hard to see all the models in one place at one time, but it's the best way to make a decision that works for YOU. Add warranty, features, reputation, quality and historical track record to the mix as well.

Good luck
Old 02-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Liked 109 Times in 64 Posts
Default Scopes & red dots

I have a Tasco 4-16 for mine, use it on a 300 blk AR as well. Good scope for the money. I have several red dots and the Primary Arms is the best. I got mine when they had a sale that included the AR mount for free.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
Then I guess you are not a serious shooter then.
WRONG. Since you tried to pull my card I'll let you read some of it.

First, I live and work on a large cattle ranch in Montana. When I'm not working I'm shooting or reloading. Even when I am working I have a rifle with me for the gopher that won't shut up or a coyote that's in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm not out there shooting large steel plates or paper targets at under 100 yards all day. I'm shooting small targets that move. Sometimes they're twenty feet in front of me and sometimes they're so far away I only saw them because I was glassing the area with my binos(which are Zeiss).

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
The only people who says those things are ones that have never had the chance to use one of those $1000-$3000 scopes. They say things like that because they are trying to justify to others that there is no need for a scope in that price range.
Did you miss this part?

Quote:
Just to clarify my post...

I don't think it's stupid to buy an optic that costs as much or more than the rifle. I've done it myself.

My $750 Elk rifle has a $250 optic on it. It's taken more abuse than I'd like to admit and has never failed me.

Last edited by Gopher Slayer; 02-10-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Liked 923 Times in 309 Posts

if funds permit :-)

try something different,but one of the best combinations

i think there is.......im saving for a tan colour version

EOTech EXPS 3 und EOTech G33.STS Bundle | EoTech / Red Dots | Weapon Accessories | ISSProtectiontrade ®

Keith