View Single Post

Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Liked 2,082 Times in 606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
Skeeter Skelton wrote about encountering a Mexican police officer who had a Colt Single Action Army on his hip, .45 Colt and wearing factory Colt grips. Skeeter asked about buying said SAA and the officer stated that he would only trade for a S&W .38 special. Old Skeet traded a .38/44 HD for the Colt.

Maybe you got Skeeter's HD!!
Well, I suppose the possibility exists. However, chances would be against it. We are developing a rather large following for our NRA Action Pistol/IPSC revolver shooting at the range here. There are four Heavy Duty owners in our little group, three of them being the four inch version and one with a five incher. We also now have three Outdoorsman owners (one of whom owns one of the Heavy Duty revolvers as well), and one of the Outdoorsman guns is a worn but mechanically sound Pre-War.

These revolvers, down here, are not so much collectible as they are first rate defensive side-arms. The bad guys use a lot of 9 m.m. hi-caps, which lack the power of a good Keith loading. Sure, they have more shots, but a good 170 grain Lead SWC passing into the engine room at 1,250 fps is probably pretty decisive. And our guys practice, so they can shoot.

I got an email this morning from one of the Moderators on the one of the Mexican gun forums saying that amongst their "in group" nobody is looking for anything other than the Heavy Duty or Outdoorman guns. A lot (and I mean a LOT) of Mexicans simply do not know what they are. I am sure the person who sold me mine thought it was just a big Model 10.

And now, a feeding frenzy has started. I looked quite a while for mine -- and the two Outdoorsman revolvers I found I felt should go to my friends as I already do have Phil Roettinger's revolver here, so it's not like I wasn't totally unprepared compared to my friends who really had nothing of appreciable power at their disposal. Since I always rather shamelessly plug the thread about Phil's revolver in case someone has as yet missed out, here it is; Penultimate Pre Postwar Magnum is in Mexico!

Now, however, Phil's gun can stand down and just be a safe queen. I have the Heavy Duty to do any heavy duty that needs to be done and will pursue an Outdoorsman (or another Mexican Heavy Duty) with a calmer disposition.

Last edited by calmex; 03-18-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
The Following User Likes This Post: