View Single Post

Old 07-21-2020, 01:26 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,781 Times in 1,815 Posts

I'd be astonished if the factory didn't do the the front/back strap. I am pretty sure someone on this forum even has a gun that letters with it, I can't for the life of me find the post though.

I have another gun with the checkering job done to it, documented to have been done by the service department: Half Target M&P, Update: Another Police Gun!

Done later, but also by hand, and a bit coarser. Still, that excellent hand checker job is absolutely something that S&W would do for you.

If anyone is curious, the S/N is 179920, which I think puts it at about that 1911-1912 timeframe, or thereabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Brown View Post
Hello Sixgun ! I really really like that one, bet its factory, not that it really matters because you have another that spoke to you.
Wouldn't be surprised if something different is under that black gunk.
More photos please !
I removed the black gunk with my finger nail, nothing special under there sadly, just a regular half moon front sight.

I need to give you a ring here soon, and Tim, things have been pretty crazy lately with Covid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFireman View Post
Caleb,

I would almost bet that is a cop gun. I'm glad that you were able to take it home.

Please keep us updated when Roy comes through.
Like that other half target I linked, I expect you are exactly right. You never really know, and it may not be something can be established with documents, but if any gun has a chance to do so it would be this one.

I will certainly update this post when I get my letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
You had me at checkered grip straps... then I looked at the grips themselves. WOW, just wow! What a beautiful set of grips there. I can't believe their condition when compared to the gun itself. Do they number to the gun?

Froggie
They absolutely do number to the gun. The pencil is still entirely present. I don't think the grips have been off the gun much if ever.

I should also note that when I took them off to checker I verified that there are no service department markings.

The grips themselves I think do have appropriate wear to the gun, they are a little worn down, not much. The thing is that the walnut they were using in this era was just gorgeous. I absolutely love so many of the grips that were using exceptional walnut right before WW1 and again right before WW2, when the walnut that got kind of used up with the wars.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: