Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 PM
SWCA Member
Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks  
Liked 3,613 Times in 1,498 Posts
Default Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks

Stopped in a pawn shop yesterday and spotted these two in the case.

C* 681315 (It looks better in person!)

C78124

I first looked at the nickel gun because it look interesting at first glance. Upon closer examination I determined it to be a old re-nickel, though pretty well done, with the amateurish engraving done afterward. I noticed the blue one in the case on a lower shelf and almost didn't ask to look at it thinking it was a newer gun, but noticed the price tag and decided to take a closer look. Pre Model 10, probably 1948 to 1950 and upon closer examination discovered it to be festooned with British proof marks! Interestingly the lower numbered gun has the later style ejector rod. I discovered that looking at the pics. I didn't really look to see what the number was on the bottom of the barrel, but will take a closer look the next time I go there. The BP gun followed me home. I'll have additional pics later, but I want to clean it up first. Stay tuned..............

Last edited by KEN L; 10-20-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 AM
SWCA Member
Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks  
Liked 7,722 Times in 2,633 Posts

Based on the shape of the hammer and the serial number, the nickel gun is probably late '40s, maybe 1950. The other gun is older than you think. I don't understand the C* -- is that on the butt along with the six-digit serial number? If so, the C can't be part of the serial number, because that is a long-action gun with a prewar/wartime ejector rod knob and the first true C-prefix revolvers came out in 1948. I'm thinking this gun must be from the late 1930s. Check the other side of the barrel and see if it says .38 S&W CTG or .38 S&W SPECIAL CTG. It could be a pre-victory.

If the gun is an unmolested .38 S&W (or .38/200, as our lend-lease associates called them), it will not chamber a .38 Special round. On the other hand, a lot of the British S&W revolvers were bored out to take the longer cartridges after the war. That one is worth some further inspection.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 AM
SWCA Member

That C* had me puzzled too. The * is a typical British "mark" marking, so I'm guessing it was added by the Brits. Here are a couple of pics of the barrel. You can see it was originally marked 38 S.&W. SPECIAL CTG with lines through special. It is still in the .38 spl caliber, don't understand the line through. Also you'll notice on the opposite side the proof markings indicating it is .38 SPECIAL. Maybe its a Lend Lease gun??

I think this may very well warrant a letter. Is it possible to send Jinks a couple of pics of a gun you are wanting a letter for? If so, how is this done? I would only send in the six digit number, but would like him to see all the markings on the gun. I'm sure he's seen this before, so would probably have additional info, rather than just the shipping records. I'm still kind of new to this and learning more each day. Seems I've really been bitten by the M&P/Pre Model 10 bug. For some reason I just love these things!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Liked 1,171 Times in 373 Posts

I don't think the C is part of the original serial number. It looks like maybe it was added later. It isn't the same type of C. I think Dave is right there and the Sn# does not include the C. The serial number should be other places like under the barrel, or on the back face of the cylinder. What do you see there? I would guess no "C."
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 AM
US Veteran
Liked 22,594 Times in 8,326 Posts

When ordering a letter, download the request form, and you can mail it along with as many pictures a you desire to Roy. Pictures do help Roy write a very detailed letter.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,722 Times in 2,633 Posts

I think that is a regular .38 Special M&P from 1939 or early 1940 that just happened to go to Great Britain, where it received the usual inspection and certification stamps. I don't think the scar through the word "SPECIAL" is intentional; that looks like a handling accident to me.

The number is a little early for what I think of as "Pre-Victory" models, but Victory experts here may have a different understanding. I tend to think the "pre-Victory" classification should start with the South African contract (serial numbers beginning about 6000 higher than this one).

When I letter guns I routinely send photos along with the letter request and check. Short of that, I think your best bet us just to keep watching this thread and see if an expert contributes. To that end, you might want to edit your post and change the thread title to something like "Pre-Victory .38 Special with British Proof Marks?" That will tip off the experts that there is something here that might interest them.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM
SWCA Member

Thanks David, much appreciated!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM
SWCA Member

I now know that the grips are wrong. They are not numbered to the gun, but I just figured that was something the Brits may have had a part in. However, the grips have been on the gun for a very long time. I also notice the side plate screw under the top of the grip was not the flush type, so there is a slight dent in the right stock made by the screw head. The correct grips should be the walnut stocks with a diamond insert aroud the grip screw and gold S&W monograms. I guess I must begin my search for a decemt pair of these grips. I'd like it to at least have the correct grips for appearance sake. Anyone have an idea what a reasonable price would be for a pair of these?

Tags
ejector, jinks, model 10, prewar, victory, walnut