Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector

Hello all,

I am trying to identify this piece which belongs to my father. It belonged to his mother and has not had any use in the past 30 years. I am planning on firing a few rounds through it at the range but would like to know some more about it.

From what I have found I believe it is a 32 hand ejector, I frame.
  • There are 6 screws, 1 for the grip, 4 sideplate, and 1 on the trigger guard.
  • The barrel reads Smith & Wesson on one side and 32 Long CTG on the other
  • The number on the butt, barrel is 585400
  • There is a number 2 stamped on the frame when open, with the number 56639 stamped below it

Any help appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZxuyI.jpg (53.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Gv1Sf.jpg (75.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg bTRgD.jpg (80.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg tWjAT.jpg (97.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg klmbP.jpg (105.8 KB, 150 views)
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 AM
SWCA Member
Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector Trying to identify this 32 Hand Ejector  
Liked 7,722 Times in 2,633 Posts

You are correct in your identification. It is a .32 Hand Ejector with a 3.25" barrel. The serial number tells you this is postwar production dating from about 1950; before WWII, the .32 HE series got to about 536000, and then production of I-frames resumed after WWII in the late 1940s.

The number on the butt, barrel underside and cylinder back is the serial number: 585400. The other numbers you see when the yoke swings open are temporary assembly numbers that have no meaning to collectors

S&W small-frame revolvers got a redesign in 1953, so the postwar guns that look like this one (and like most prewar .32s as well) are not that common because they were only in production for two to three years. That doesn't make them rare, but it does mean that you see a lot more postwar guns with different design features (coil mainspring instead of flat, heavier barrels, flatter tops to the hammers, and things like that).

Other indicators of postwar production are the shape of the cylinder release on the left side, and the four-line address block on the right side of the revolver, which began to appear on all S&W revolvers in 1948

Can you say anything about the grips? What is that material?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info,

The grips are translucent with what appears as a reflective foil backing. Both sides feature the silver S&W badge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0455.JPG (129.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0458.JPG (105.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 AM

Liked 4,318 Times in 2,116 Posts

My quick scan of the SCSW indicates that what you actually have is the Regulation Police. Apparently the RP's were marked for the 32 Long and the Hand Ejectors were marked for the 32 S&W CTG in the post WWII time period. Since both guns were actually chambered for the 32 Long, they are basically the same gun, however I suspect that most of the civilian guns were made with target sights. There may also be some other subtle differences between the 2 versions that aren't covered in the SCSW or that I missed.

As for it's condition, it obviously needs a thorough cleaning, which means a full disassembly of the lockwork and a good scrubbing with mineral spirits. After that a few drops of oil in the right spots and it'll be ready for duty. If you're not familiar with doing this, I would suggest having a gunsmith clean it up, there are some tricks to working on an S&W even to removing the side plate (you don't pry it off, you tap it free). As for the exterior, a pure paste wax without any abrasives will make it look much better than it does now.

As for ammo, since it's serialed to post WWII production any 32 Long cartridge you can find will be perfectly safe, however 32 H&R Magnums won't fit, the case length is too long. One other note, I would strongly suggest that you avoid any gun show or gun shop reloads, the quality of hand loaded ammunition you didn't actually make yourself just can't be trusted, stick with the commercial brands.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,345 Times in 570 Posts

Quote:
My quick scan of the SCSW indicates that what you actually have is the Regulation Police. Apparently the RP's were marked for the 32 Long and the Hand Ejectors were marked for the 32 S&W CTG in the post WWII time period. Since both guns were actually chambered for the 32 Long, they are basically the same gun, however I suspect that most of the civilian guns were made with target sights. There may also be some other subtle differences between the 2 versions that aren't covered in the SCSW or that I missed.
The gun is a round butt which doesn't help its regulation police case as they are historically square butt guns. Whether the gun be a regulation police or not, target sights on these are fairly rare. I'm also fairly sure that the true Regulation police was not made post war, so if this gun is indeed post war, its not a RP.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:13 AM
US Veteran
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,736 Posts

You can purchase either lead wadcutter bullets for your .32 or copperplated wadcutters. For the copper plated wadcutters check either Berry's or Ranier. Lapua sells lead wadcutter bullets and I thing a few of the commercial bullet casters do likewise. You might also want to check out some of the commercial bullet casters as they may sell a 90-95 grain round nosed bullet for the 32 caliber .312-.314 Hope this helps. Frank
Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Liked 48,958 Times in 9,316 Posts

Lots of confusing data here.

The gun is postwar, as David says.
Post-war Improved I frame with coil mainspring.
It is a 32 HE.
It is chambered in 32 S&W Long.
The grips are not factory.

Target sights are rare on either the 32 HE or 32 RP.

S&W DID make the 32 Reg Police in a postwar variant- check out the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3276.JPG (80.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3277.JPG (91.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3278.JPG (88.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great info,

I suspected the grips were not factory since after digging through many of pages here and on other sites I could not find anything similar.

When you mention target sights, is this what this gun has?

I found some more information on the backstory if anyone is interested. This gun was probably given to my grandmother in 1950 by the Sheriff of Heard County, GA (Virgil Bledsoe). She was pregnant with my father, who was born in 1951, and the time line seems to match up well.

I finally located some .32 long rounds and was able to take it to the range and I was surprised at the attention this little gun brought. The accuracy was quite respectable, no misfires although some of the old, tarnished brass ammo was difficult to eject after firing.

I'm looking forward to properly cleaning and lubricating it, as well as possibly doing the official letter through S&W to give to my father for his 60th birthday next month.

Thanks --Brian
Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,722 Times in 2,633 Posts

Good story on the gun. It's always nice to establish even part of a handgun's history, and it sounds like you can get almost all the way back to the shipping date on this one.

Your gun has fixed sights consisting of a half-round front sight and a groove in the frame for the rear sight. Target sights are adjustable. They have small screws in a rear sight block that allow for vertical and horizontal adjustment.

Tags
cartridge, commercial, ejector, gunsmith, hand ejector, postwar, prewar, round butt, scsw, sideplate, wadcutter, wwii