Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks? Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks? Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks? Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks? Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks?  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks?

I have seen pre war stocks that have a Silver Medallion and some with a Gold. What are the differences? What guns did each come on? Are the Gold afterMarket?

Thanks for the information,

ddj
Old 05-05-2011, 05:51 PM
SWCA Member
Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks? Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks? Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks? Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks? Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks?  
Liked 8,980 Times in 3,563 Posts

I am by no means an expert on the stock medallions and I am sure that someone will be along to supply more difinitive information. But for a general answer, S&W stocks were made with both silver and gold medallions and I believe that it is based on timeframe. There were also stocks made with no medallions for a while and during or around the war, the medallions were made of a plastic material since metal was being saved for the war effort.

You can also find after market stocks that have S&W medallions installed and were not done by or authorized by S&W. I actually have a bag of just the medallions in my collection that I could make my own stocks with. Some folks remove the medallions from old damaged stocks and install them in newly made ones.

Hope that helps answer your question.
LM #497
Old 05-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks? Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks?  
Liked 319 Times in 134 Posts

According to SCSW, around 1910 a gold plated brass medallion was added to Hand Ejector Stocks. Around 1917, the medallions were eliminated. About 1929 flush chrome plated brass medallions appeared. Medallions came in both small and large sizes. The large medallions (about 1/2 inch) were used on N frame stocks, but some K frame stocks also used them.

Hope this helps.

Steve
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. What would be a set of grips with a large gold medallion be worth in good condition?

ddj
Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned
Liked 3,137 Times in 644 Posts

I don't have indisputable proof, but I seriously doubt if any "gold" medallion were gold plated, I believe they were brass and I'm about certain what has been described as chrome is actually nickel silver, either solid or nickel-plated brass.
Large "gold" medallions are very desirable, but only on the correct gun.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

trouthunterdj, It depends on what frame size your grips are. N frames are harder to find than K frames, so they bring more money. A mint pair of N frames, could reach $800, maybe more, on Ebay. Especially if they are numbered to a Reg. Magnum. Ed.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Difference in Silver or Gold Medallion Stocks?  
Liked 862 Times in 379 Posts

The 'Gold' Medallions of the 1910 up era may have been what was called "Gilt', which was a very thin Gold wash, which worked well to prevent Tarnishing of Brass Stampings, Medallions or whatever.

For what then was a $16.00 Ounce of Gold, they could 'Gild' many many thousands of Medallions for a very low cost per unit.

I do not know what process S&W was using, but, just saying.

Nickle Plate over the Brass Stamping would make sense for the later 'Silver' color Medallions...and make more sense than Chrome, or, Chrome would have been an unusual choice at any rate, for the time period.

Now that I am thinking on this, and looking at some critically, the earlier 'Gold' Medallions do have the look of Gilded or Gilt Brass, so, I am leaning to that method, as being what S&W was doing then.

Last edited by Oyeboteb; 05-06-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:58 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,673 Times in 8,622 Posts

To summarize what's been said and add a little detail:

Prior to circa 1910: No medallion and a concave dished cut where it would be.
Cr 1910 to cr 1920, Deep dish gilted brass.
Cr 1920 to cr 1930, No medallion and no dished out cut.
Cr 1930 to cr 1941-42, Flat med., nickel silver plate over brass.
Post war to present Contoured nickel plated brass matching grip contour.
Cr 1951-52 exception, grey plastic or steel on small frame grips.
S&WCA #819
Old 05-06-2011, 02:02 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,673 Times in 8,622 Posts

To summarize what's been said and add a little detail:

Prior to circa 1910: No medallion and a concave dished cut where it would be.
Cr 1910 to cr 1920, Deep dish gold gilt over brass.
Cr 1920 to cr 1930, No medallion and no dished out cut.
Cr 1930 to cr 1941-42, Flat med., nickel silver plate over brass.
Post war to present Contoured nickel plated brass matching grip contour.
Cr 1951-52 exception, grey plastic or steel on small frame grips.
S&WCA #819
Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I bought a pair that will be here in a few days. I only bought them either for trade sometime or an extra set of prewar grips if I ever buy my Prewar 22 Outdoorsman .

ddj

Tags
ejector, hand ejector, k frame, outdoorsman, prewar, scsw