Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 09-12-2011, 01:18 AM
SWCA Member
Loose front sight on k38..help Loose front sight on k38..help Loose front sight on k38..help Loose front sight on k38..help Loose front sight on k38..help  
Liked 283 Times in 47 Posts
Default Loose front sight on k38..help

A couple weeks ago, picked up a nice k38 with the gold box numbered to the gun. After I got home and was looking really close, I noticed that the front site was a little loose....ie...it had some wiggle to it. I assume that the front site is original to the gun, it just has some 'play'. Is it possible to remedy this? Can any qualified gunsmith repair this? or does anyone have any recommendations for someone that specializes in repairs on older smiths? Thanks, I can post some pics tomorrow night if that would help. The serial number on the gun is 221183. Thanks
Rick
Old 09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
SWCA Member
Loose front sight on k38..help Loose front sight on k38..help Loose front sight on k38..help Loose front sight on k38..help Loose front sight on k38..help  
Liked 7,722 Times in 2,633 Posts

You come across guns with loose sights now and again. I had one that I fixed by driving out the pin, pulling the sight blade, folding a small piece of aluminum foil around the base, and resinserting it. The retention pin goes through the foil with a push.

Or you could just use the old standby, blue Loctite. My preference is not to use cements, even soluble or softenable ones, so I probably would not do this.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:36 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 283 Times in 47 Posts

The pin is very flush with the finish. I would be concerned that I would screw it up. I don't have any punches that small. Are there any gunsmiths that anyone would recommend that could do a nice job on this? I am in Tn if that helps. Would SW work on this? I think the previous owner might have used some adhesive. I can barely see traces of it.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Liked 9,073 Times in 3,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8smiles View Post
The pin is very flush with the finish. I would be concerned that I would screw it up. I don't have any punches that small. Are there any gunsmiths that anyone would recommend that could do a nice job on this? I am in Tn if that helps. Would SW work on this? I think the previous owner might have used some adhesive. I can barely see traces of it.
Get yourself a can of CRC Brake Clean or Electromotive Cleaner, and a tube of one of the "Loc-Tite" thread lockers, the stronger the better in this case. Be sure the product you get is marked as wicking!

Spray the gaps around the front sight very thoroughly to be sure it is thoroughly de-greased. You cannot over-do this step. Once you are satisfied it is as clean as it can be, blow out the cleaner as well as possible and let the sight dry an hour or so. Once thoroughly dry apply the Loc-Tite to the gaps and allow it to penetrate. When the resin has cured the front sight will be firmly attached, and nearly permanently. It can be removed later of necessary, but it shouldn't have to be.

I have done several this way and never have seen one come loose again. Loose front sights are quite common up to 1960 or so production.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Liked 451 Times in 233 Posts

I'm with 'alk', the trick is it MUST be degreased, and GOOD......no matter how careful you may be, you start knocking pins in and out, it will LOOK like the sight has been tampered/changed.......

Tags
gunsmith, k38