Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 01-11-2012, 05:47 PM
SWCA Member
Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African  
Liked 1,865 Times in 440 Posts
Default Pre-Victory South African

I think this is one of the South African Pre-Victory models that made it to South Africa. I'm basing this on the markings on the back-strap. The cylinder hasn't been altered, so it's in the original chambering of .38 S&W. There is a crown stamped on the frame below the cylinder on the right side of the gun.

Last edited by LOBO; 06-08-2015 at 04:28 AM. Reason: fixed the pictures
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 PM
US Veteran
Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African  
Liked 931 Times in 306 Posts

Lobo,
Yep that one made it to S.A. (Thats South Africa not south Ala). Mine doesn't have the crown on it but has a rack number further down the backstrap below the broad arrow U (Trio of british service revolvers post). Your blue is better than mine but like yours is missing the orig grips and lanyard ring. I hope yours shoots as well as mine. The .38 S&W has become one of my favorite calibers and since Midway got some brass back in stock a few months ago, I get to shoot a lot more.
Larry
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Liked 6,711 Times in 1,555 Posts

Lobo, Oldiron gave you good advice. Very nice looking SA gun. The gun appears to be in outstanding condition, all you need is the proper grips and a lanyard ring.
John. SWCA #1586
Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 PM
SWCA Member

What are the proper grips? Would it be the smooth grips like found on Victory models?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned
Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts
Smile

These are the original stocks and lanyard.

This is the correct cleaning rod.

Cheers;
Lefty

Last edited by Bell Charter Oak Holsters; 01-12-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Liked 205 Times in 33 Posts

[QUOTE=oldflatfoot;136286078]
These are the original stocks and lanyard.

This is the correct cleaning rod.

Pics like these and the information that comes with them are the reason the S & W forum is so darn good. I mean come on! Really?? A South African lanyard and unopened box of cleaning rods!!

Can I borrow your time machine one day??? I just need it for a day.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 AM
SWCA Member

Very, very nice Lefty!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Banned
Cool

And of course, you MUST have a few matching accessories.

The holster is correct for a Victory model, I'm not sure what they used in South Africa for a holster. Probably similar leather for officers who likely private purchased their kits, or issue web gear like the Brits used? Somewhere, I have a Lee Enfield MkIV .303 with a Union of South Africa cartouche, can't seem to find the photo at the moment.

Cheers;
Lefty

Last edited by Bell Charter Oak Holsters; 01-13-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:50 PM

Liked 236 Times in 118 Posts

A few answers and corrections from South Africa! Pattern '38 webbing was made locally, but shortage of materials and equipment resulted in somewhat lower standards. Fram seem to have been the main manufacturer-see picture.

The lanyard illustrated by Lefty is the British pattern for S&W and Colt revolvers that had a flat lanyard "ring" and would not take the normal lanyard with a loop at the gun end. The SA Union Defence Force lanyard was a flat leather one with a clip at the end (as the British one). It looks like a thin dog lead.

The cleaning rods packet illustrated is a British one contaning S&W "wipers". I have found no definite information to support South Africa having received the same type of rod. Indeed one file enclosure in the archives appears to show that the S&Ws came with a cleaning brush, rather than a wiper.

Thanks for the serial number and UDF number Lefty; one more for my database of UDF S&Ws.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fram 1.jpg (95.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade
Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African  
Liked 16,158 Times in 7,409 Posts

Peter-

Do you know why they ordered four-inch barrels, when the holsters are made for five-inchers?

I've seen pics of Webley MK VI's wih four-inch barrels, also supposedly made for South Africa. Some had barrels like MK V's and others had the usual MK VI front sights.

I've read somewhere that these guns were being used in the prison sytem by the 1960's. I think they were originally military issue.

Did SA adopt .38 revolvers when the UK did?
Old 01-14-2012, 12:59 PM
Banned
Smile

The cleaning rods I posted are/were made for 4 inch barrel guns specifically. They are too short for use with longer barrels. My "SA" revolvers never made it to the Cape. They were part of the shipment diverted to Britain, as Peter has pointed out in his research and do not bear the "U" cartouche/proof mark.

Cheers;
Lefty
Old 01-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Peter- Do you know why they ordered four-inch barrels, when the holsters are made for five-inchers?

I've seen pics of Webley MK VI's wih four-inch barrels, also supposedly made for South Africa. Some had barrels like MK V's and others had the usual MK VI front sights. I've read somewhere that these guns were being used in the prison sytem by the 1960's. I think they were originally military issue.

Did SA adopt .38 revolvers when the UK did?
Sorry about the delay in answering Texas. The UDF and SA Police (SAP) had always used 4" Webleys, with the exception of some UDF Mark VI (6") between the wars. Those were carried in open bottom leather holsters with 2" of barrel protruding! I am sure that when the the 4" S&W order was placed no one has thinking about holsters. Indeed they didn't remember ammo until several months later!

I can find nothing in the archives concerning the locally made P '37 webbing - very annoying! - but it was most certainly thought of and made after the guns were ordered.

Yes, the 4” Mk VI Webleys were ordered (qty 200 apparently) in 1935 for the SAP. They all have integral front sights as on the earlier Marks. They were passed on to the Prisons Service around 1960 and are usually found with the S.A.P. mark removed or cancelled and G.D.P.S. (Prisons Service in Afrikaans and English) engraved on them.

The UDF had been thinking of adopting the Enfield 38 throughout the 1930s, but had no money. Come the start of WW II they had to frantically obtain equipment from the US – the British needed everything they had for themselves.

Peter
Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 7,723 Times in 2,634 Posts

Very nice South African M&P!

Those cleaning rods could also be used to open contemporary cans of coffee, and the long shank makes them particularly well adapted to opening them upside down.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Peter-

Thanks! Looks as if your bureaucrats were about like ours. Too little, too late.

BTW, I read an account of tank warfare in the North African desert, by a South African officer. I think he was a cricket star before the war.

He mentioned .38 revolvers, but not the make.

Now that I think of it, I believe he was actually serving in the Royal Tank Regiment. They had Stuart tanks, made in the USA. But he mentioned meeting South African troops and being glad to hear the accent again.

I believe the title is, "Blazing Chariots", if anyone wants to look for it. Good book.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:05 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade
Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African Pre-Victory South African  
Liked 6,743 Times in 2,526 Posts

The author's name was Crisp (not a good name for a tank officer), and the book was Brazen Chariots. He also wrote one about the British retreat from Greece called "The Gods were Neutral". You must have read the book with a lot more attention than I did, because I don't remember any reference to a 38 revolver. It's an excellent book and I recommend it highly.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflatfoot View Post
The cleaning rods I posted are/were made for 4 inch barrel guns specifically. They are too short for use with longer barrels.Lefty
What is the overall length of you rods Lefty? Charles Pate (Secondary Pistols and Revolvers page 287) gives three lengths: 9 1/4"; 9 13/16"; and 10 5/8". I have one of each and the shortest is long enough to clean at least a 5" barrel. Was there a shorter one?

Peter
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Banned

Peter;

I'll have to lay my hands on them and measure. They are in storage (I think?) so it may be awhile before I can get them. I'll let you know.

Cheers;
Lefty
Old 01-25-2012, 09:49 AM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
The author's name was Crisp (not a good name for a tank officer), and the book was Brazen Chariots. He also wrote one about the British retreat from Greece called "The Gods were Neutral". You must have read the book with a lot more attention than I did, because I don't remember any reference to a 38 revolver. It's an excellent book and I recommend it highly.

Cyrano-

Yes! Robert Crisp. "The Brazen Chariots." I also read his book about the retreat from Greece.

I'll try to find the book and locate the reference(s) to revolvers. I tend to look for such things in war books.

I was amused by your observation that "Crisp" is not a good name for a tank officer.

Last edited by Texas Star; 01-25-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Tags
colt, engraved, leather, military, victory, webley