Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 04-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Approximate value for an H22? Approximate value for an H22? Approximate value for an H22? Approximate value for an H22? Approximate value for an H22?  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Approximate value for an H22?

While going through boxes, I found an old Smith & Wesson H22 in one of the many boxes. I spoke to my ex and it was his father's, who has passed, and he does not want it.

Wondering how much it may be worth and how I would even go about selling it. It does not have bullets, but it seems able to shoot. I know nothing about guns. I have attached some pictures and the serial number on the butt is K 148507. Hopefully that helps some. Seems to need some cleaning, I think.

Thanks for any information!

~ Jennifer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (99.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (90.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg photo-2.jpg (96.7 KB, 145 views)
Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Banned
Approximate value for an H22? Approximate value for an H22? Approximate value for an H22? Approximate value for an H22? Approximate value for an H22?  
Liked 3,242 Times in 1,100 Posts

Actually you have a K22 pre-model 17 22lr cal. revolver made somewhere in the 50's (so you are in the wrong section, but that's ok). Cleaned up it's probably worth $500-600 ballpark.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. As said above, you have a K22 , called a pre-Model 17. It was made in approx. 1952, or thereabouts. I agree with the ballpark price above, offered by Curtis. Depending on where you live, local and state laws on sale of handguns should be obeyed if you decide to sell the gun. A gun store will offer you approx. 1/2 to 2/3rds of the above value for the gun, as it's a popular model, easy to sell. I'm sorry your ex doesn't want to keep his father's gun as a family heirloom. Perhaps there are grandsons, or nephews, that might be interested? Good Luck, Ed.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 AM
SWCA Member
Approximate value for an H22? Approximate value for an H22?  
Liked 838 Times in 276 Posts

The Smith & Wesson K-22 is one of the finest target revolvers ever made. Depending on actual condition, these guns regularly sell for $500-600 or more here in the forum classifieds and on auction sites such as Gunbroker. If you happen to have the original box (for this gun it would be gold with blue pictures and writing), brochure and tools they could add as much as $100 or more to the value, again depending on condition.

Many local gun or pawn shops will offer you 50% or less of what a gun is actually worth (sometimes much less, especially if they think you don't know anything about guns). Of course there are those that won't try to take advantage of you, but even they have to make a profit. If you decide to sell it you may want to consider the classifieds here on the forum or an online auction site, just be sure to familiarize yourself with the regulations regarding the sale and shipment of handguns, as well as the rules specific to the site where you list it. If you go that route you should also get the help of a knowledgable person regarding the condition of the gun, and be able to provide good photos and and an accurate description.

I would echo what has already been mentioned as far as the possibility of someone in your ex-husband's family wanting his father's gun. These are often treasured keepsakes, especially to family members who enjoy shooting.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and if you have any more questions we'll do our best to try and answer them.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Liked 3,506 Times in 997 Posts

Jennifer-please don't pull the trigger and "dry" fire this gun. It can damage the gun. If you want to sell it you can list it on the for sale section of this board. You need to send the gun to a licensed firearms dealer (know as a FFL) and the buyer picks the gun up from the dealer. In some states you can complete a face to face sale without using the dealer but check your local laws first.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Liked 19,375 Times in 9,448 Posts

Good advice above from some experienced collectors.

I would just add, if you have not already done so, please check if it is loaded. Holding it by the wood stocks in your right hand, push forward with your left thumb on the latch on the frame behind the cylinder/ under the hammer, and gently swing the cylinder toward the left (the same side as the latch). If the cylinder chambers have rounds in them, push on the rod sticking out from the front of the cylinder to remove them. Swing the cylinder back in gently to the right or center to close the gun.

As far as what to do with it, do you have any interest at all in shooting it? If so, you may want to contact a pistol range close to you, telling them your situation to arrange training or a time to try it out. If you have a friend or relative who is familiar with guns, he/she could also help. At the very least, they would be able to recommend good cleaning equipment and a case for storage. You may be surprised, this may be your entry into a nice hobby.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Liked 1,923 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncal1 View Post
Jennifer-please don't pull the trigger and "dry" fire this gun. It can damage the gun. If you want to sell it you can list it on the for sale section of this board. You need to send the gun to a licensed firearms dealer (know as a FFL) and the buyer picks the gun up from the dealer. In some states you can complete a face to face sale without using the dealer but check your local laws first.
And,I'll add,depending on what state you live in,you may have to send it through an FFL dealer,who will charge a fee for his service,and the cost of next day delivery service,which can be a chunk of change.
Do not just take it to the post office or UPS until you confirm the laws in your state.It is therefore to your advantage to sell it locally if you can,as less money locally can mean more than greater money elewhere,minus the associated fees.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 13,416 Times in 3,292 Posts

Geez. All these people not wanting a gun. What universe is this, anyway? Not the one i live in.

Tags
22lr, k-22, k22, model 17