Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 08-27-2020, 06:19 PM
SWCA Member
Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W  
Liked 9,793 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W

This one was recently found by a friend on GunBroker and has had some interesting mods done.......

Guessing it started as a .38 Hand Ejector with blue finish.

Looks like a cut down barrel, rib/front sight added, engraved, nickel finish and pearl stocks.

S&W logo on side plate has been replaced with the initials "E H".

Neat looking little piece!

Have requested a ship date from Roy.

Tom Graham SWCA #2303

Last edited by THREEDFLYER; 08-27-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:30 PM
Administrator
Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W  
Liked 48,992 Times in 9,319 Posts

I have buyers lined up if you decide to sell!

Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W-s-l640-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l640.jpg (97.3 KB, 488 views)
Old 08-27-2020, 06:32 PM
SWCA Member

[QUOTE=handejector;140882312]I have buyers lined up if you decide to sell!

HA....Now that's funny!! But about right.......maybe the initials EH is of some significance.......hmmmm.....
Tom Graham SWCA #2303
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 06:44 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 13,969 Times in 3,390 Posts

I think I just fried my retinas.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 06:49 PM
Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W  
Liked 86 Times in 32 Posts

Well Pimp My S&W...LMAO
Old 08-27-2020, 07:47 PM
Liked 7,579 Times in 2,307 Posts

Hey! My initials are EH. Really. I could put that to good use Might have to buy some .38 dies, but that is doable! That's real MOP, right?
Old 08-27-2020, 07:49 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 12,216 Times in 1,954 Posts

What? No gold on the hammer and trigger? Just a pretender then.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 07:55 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak53 View Post
Hey! My initials are EH. Really. I could put that to good use Might have to buy some .38 dies, but that is doable! That's real MOP, right?
I have not had this gun in my hands.....looks like MOP stocks to me though, doubt someone would go that crazy with engraving and put fake on it.
Tom Graham SWCA #2303
Old 08-27-2020, 08:13 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
I think this is the fanciest "dressed-up" ex-British Service model I've ever seen.

As a six-shot .38 S&W, it can't be anything else. Those grips are really ill-fitting, by the way.
Like I said I have not had this one in my hands so hard to tell from the photos, but sounds like you may be right about it being a Lend/Lease gun....
Tom Graham SWCA #2303
Old 08-27-2020, 08:17 PM
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,070 Posts

That front sight is kinda sexy...
Old 08-27-2020, 08:18 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THREEDFLYER View Post

I think this is the fanciest "dressed-up" ex-British Service model I've ever seen.

As a six-shot .38 S&W, it can't be anything else. Based on the position of the caliber rollmark, it was a 6" barrel, so a pre-Victory. Those grips are really ill-fitting, by the way.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:41 PM
Liked 3,122 Times in 776 Posts

There's the awesome post war engraving and metal work work of Kurt Jaeger...

and then there's this.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:49 PM
Liked 988 Times in 315 Posts

Those look like imitation MOP to me, but that's just my opinion. Looks like the escutcheon is missing from one side. The whole front sight/base/rib is very unusual but I kinda like it.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:51 PM
Liked 403 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
This one was recently found by a friend on GunBroker and has had some interesting mods done.......

Looks like a cut down barrel, rib/front sight added, engraved, nickel finish and pearl stocks.

S&W logo on side plate has been replaced with the initials "E H".

Neat looking little piece!

Have requested a ship date from Roy.

I was watching that one go. Definitely a unique gun but it was pretty tastefully done. Glad you picked it up!
Old 08-27-2020, 11:44 PM
SWCA Member

A friend of mine in Washington State purchased it.......He just asked me to help him identify it so I posted his photos here.

But I think it's an interesting piece as well.
Tom Graham SWCA #2303
Old 08-27-2020, 11:49 PM
Liked 862 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
I have not had this gun in my hands.....looks like MOP stocks to me though, doubt someone would go that crazy with engraving and put fake on it.
No Screw Escutcheons in the Stocks...

They look like plastic ( or imitation MOP, as it were, ) to my own glance, rather than real 'MOP'.

Plating may be Chrome, also...
Old 08-28-2020, 09:54 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 13,416 Times in 3,292 Posts

I like it. Front sight is nice.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:14 PM
Liked 9,232 Times in 3,408 Posts

That, I believe started out as one of the Parker Hale 'conversions' on the Victory 38S&W's
That front sight looks like theirs and then some further whittling to give some artsy look.
Many of the P/H sight ramps used on these conversions had a slight forward facing slant to sight base itself. Some more pronounced and in length than others.
I think the modified plated revolver used that feature and took it a bit further.

The Plated gun's caliber marking is 38SW,,so I'd lean towards the cylinder being reamed to 38Spcl if it is a P/H conversion.

But P/H did, in it's post war ads have catalog #'s for the conversions if you want the revolver (left in it's orig 38S&W caliber.

Choice of bbl lengths was 2 1/4 (quickdraw sight!),,,4" (this ramp sight),,5" avail as mfg (I'm guessing) w/orig military front sight..

Sure is an eye catcher!
Old 08-28-2020, 01:31 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2152hq View Post
That, I believe started out as one of the Parker Hale 'conversions' on the Victory 38S&W's
That front sight looks like theirs and then some further whittling to give some artsy look.
Looking at an original P-H conversion with their ramp sight, I'm not sure these can be reconciled.

Add to that the inelegant soldering and the non-matching ejector rod tip, which may mean a later cylinder was put in, and the whole thing seems more likely a homegrown project.

Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W-parker-hale-comp-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parker Hale comp.jpg (47.4 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Absalom; 08-28-2020 at 01:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 09:51 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
Looking at an original P-H conversion with their ramp sight, I'm not sure these can be reconciled.

Add to that the inelegant soldering and the non-matching ejector rod tip, which may mean a later cylinder was put in, and the whole thing seems more likely a homegrown project.

Another interesting auction - Modified, Engraved S&W-parker-hale-comp-jpg
Good catch, and you are probably right about being a home project......I will try to get more information and photos from my friend once he has the gun in his possession......it's being held up by the Washington State waiting period.
Tom Graham SWCA #2303
Old 08-28-2020, 10:23 PM
Liked 1,966 Times in 837 Posts

At the risk of prying , does a one-off , eye of the beholder item such as that command any significant value?
Higher than , say , a stock M&P of the same era in fairly high condition?

Edit/addendum :
A quick search of "completed items" turned it up. Your buddy goes by "1950 IndianChief".

Last edited by Waveski; 08-28-2020 at 10:33 PM.