Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 12-02-2023, 12:58 AM
BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS  
Liked 26,354 Times in 8,853 Posts
Default BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS

I go to the Range at least once a week and will bring a Revolver at least once or twice a month. I try and shoot all of my collection as I really enjoy doing so.

Today I brought a vintage (mid to late 50's) 4" Combat Masterpiece (pre M15) and I was shooting vintage Remington factory wadcutters from the late 1950's or early 60's. I had at least 4 people comment on the gun itself as well as to why I was shooting bullets without bullets in them! LOL. I actually stopped shooting a few times to explain that 38 special wadcutters are target loads that have the bullets pushed into the case and not visible from a side view. I also showed a few guys the revolver including one of the Range Officer's (younger fellow) who was just taken with it. He told me it is very rare to see guys shooting those old style guns anymore - I just chuckled.

I will say after frequenting the range over the past few years it really is amazing how few revolvers are actually used on the firing line these days. Many younger shooters don't even know what a wadcutter is. Oh how times are changing!
The Following 130 Users Like Post:
1911haulic, 4K2022, 6string, 71vette, A10, ACORN, AJ, AlHunt, austintexas, Bajadoc, BAM-BAM, BarryB, BE Mike, bgrafsr, bigmtnman, Birdhunter6, BKLooney, Breakaway500, brucev, CajunBass, chiefdave, Chuck Edwards, Classic29, cndrdk, cruiserdan, delta-419, Dino44, Dio, dobegrant, Doug M., Doug627, Engineer1911, fdover, fishwishin, fleabus101, Frieda's Boss, galena, gasaman, GerSan69, glenwolde, gmurdaugh, Greyman50, Gripgrabber, H Richard, heeter3, Ingramite, ironmikevelocette, ISCS Yoda, Ivan the Butcher, Jackcpat, JeffG, jem102, Jeppo, JH1951, Jim PHL, Jimmyjones, jjfitch, JohnRippert, K Frame Keith, kennethg, kev74, kframeman, Krogen, kscharlie, lamarw, lihpster, LittleCooner, lkabug, LostintheOzone, MAG-NUM, MarkHayden, Mbrgr1, mckenney99, MG34/bar, mic214, mikepriwer, Model 15-4ever, mojave30cal, MSD2343, MSgt G, Muley Gil, Nesmith, Nightowl, NovaJoe, NY-1, Old Corp, old tanker, Oldbird13, oldrookey617, OrlontheBrave, OutWest50, Papa Lee, pasound, Phrenologyposterboy, Pine_Worker, Pizza Bob, Rammer Jammer, Redwood32R2, Retired W4, RobertJ., robvious, rosewood, Rubone, Rusty parrot, Rustywrench, S-W4EVER, S42N8, SafeTFirst, Sandman4delta, Sgt. Buzzard, shovelmike, Simson-Suhl, Skeet 028, Skyhunter, Smith User, smithman 10, smitty_bs, stansdds, steelslaver, StrawHat, sweetwilly45, T112-4, Telecaster, thadheth, TheTinMan, TJm15.38, usedkid, VaTom, xsexcess, yugolovr
Old 12-02-2023, 01:09 AM
US Veteran
BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS  
Liked 22,171 Times in 6,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief38 View Post
I go to the Range at least once a week and will bring a Revolver at least once or twice a month. I try and shoot all of my collection as I really enjoy doing so.

Today I brought a vintage (mid to late 50's) 4" Combat Masterpiece (pre M15) and I was shooting vintage Remington factory wadcutters from the late 1950's or early 60's. I had at least 4 people comment on the gun itself as well as to why I was shooting bullets without bullets in them! LOL. I actually stopped shooting a few times to explain that 38 special wadcutters are target loads that have the bullets pushed into the case and not visible from a side view. I also showed a few guys the revolver including one of the Range Officer's (younger fellow) who was just taken with it. He told me it is very rare to see guys shooting those old style guns anymore - I just chuckled.

I will say after frequenting the range over the past few years it really is amazing how few revolvers are actually used on the firing line these days. Many younger shooters don't even know what a wadcutter is. Oh how times are changing!
Chief where are you shooting? We see quite a few revolvers on our range, Yes, there are autos galore, but revolvers are shot a fair amount.

Last edited by AJ; 12-02-2023 at 03:37 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 01:15 AM
SWCA Member
BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS  
Liked 2,369 Times in 626 Posts

I am one of a very few revolver shooters at the range I shoot at. The younger shooters comment about my shooting "old guy guns".
Old 12-02-2023, 01:19 AM
BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS  
Liked 26,354 Times in 8,853 Posts

A few hundred miles from you. I can honestly say I've not seen any revolvers at the range in quite a long time - its been at least a couple of years!
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 01:20 AM
BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS  
Liked 16,670 Times in 4,222 Posts

A couple of years ago, after watching me make hits at 100 yards with my 15, my buddies son told him, "I want a gun like Uncle Phil's."
Old 12-02-2023, 01:30 AM
Liked 4,957 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:
I had at least 4 people comment on the gun itself as well as to why I was shooting bullets without bullets in them! LOL.
Many younger shooters don't even know what a wadcutter is. Oh how times are changing!
Hopefully, you helped provide something of an education to a few folks.

I'm not sure what sort of range you go to, but this would be even better if you were shooting Bullseye style, slow fire, on the 50 yd line. Give them a real world eperience that there's more to pistol shooting than hosing a giant "bad guy" target at 15-20 feet.
Old 12-02-2023, 01:55 AM
Liked 503 Times in 200 Posts

The wife and I took a couple out to the range about 2 months ago, some good friends of ours. They had never shot handguns before and wanted to try it out, get a feel for it.

We took two semi-autos and two revolvers. After almost an hour or so we started packing up and I asked them which style of firearm they liked better. Hands down it was the revolvers. It's also what both of them shot best!

The revolver is far from being dead, IMHO...
Old 12-02-2023, 02:10 AM
Liked 29,605 Times in 14,280 Posts

I prefer shooting revolvers because I don't have to pick up fired brass on the ground.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:23 AM
US Veteran
BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS  

Quote:
A few hundred miles from you. I can honestly say I've not seen any revolvers at the range in quite a long time - its been at least a couple of years!
Well, if you ever get over this way let me know. Range is six miles from my house and I have a fair middling bunch of toys that need to exercise.

We have a pretty good gun show next weekend.

AJ

Last edited by AJ; 12-02-2023 at 08:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 08:28 AM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
I prefer shooting revolvers because I don't have to pick up fired brass on the ground.

There is that aspect to think about. As I get older the ground seems to be getting farther away when picking up stuff.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:03 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 2,369 Times in 626 Posts

Quote:
I take it one step further, most of the revolvers I shoot regularly are cut for moon clips. Makes the brass even easier to police!
Old 12-02-2023, 09:06 AM
Liked 619 Times in 133 Posts

Not to venture too far off topic, but my version of that is almost everyone at my local rifle range is shooting an AR variant. When I show up with one of my Garands or my M1A, they invariably walk over and gawk, saying something like, “Those are the coolest lookin’ old rifles I’ve ever seen! Where did you get those?!”

It’s as if they’ve never seen a walnut stock before. My unspoken thought is, well if they’re so cool what are you doing with the same boring AR that everyone and his brother has?
The Following 8 Users Like Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 09:14 AM
Liked 1,407 Times in 465 Posts

When I go to the range I almost always have a revolver with me. No one ever gives me a second look. If I’m shooting my .44 I may get the occasional ”hand cannon” comment.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:01 AM
Liked 4,508 Times in 1,276 Posts

I also try to take a revolver with me whenever I visit the range. Yesterday I took my M&P 10mm 2.0 and my "old truck gun"...a 1980 6" blued Colt Python. Which do you think got the most comments from the young RO and other shooters?
Old 12-02-2023, 10:11 AM
US Veteran
Liked 15,264 Times in 4,184 Posts

I was issued a Model 15 in the ‘70s and consistently qualified in the high 90s with it. It’s the Cadillac of the .38 caliber S&W revolver line.

Last edited by Old cop; 12-03-2023 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:08 AM
US Veteran
Liked 19,399 Times in 6,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
As I get older the ground seems to be getting farther away when picking up stuff.
You've noticed that too? Here is the worst part:
Elves sneak into my house at night about once a week and shrink the print in all of my books.
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
Old 12-02-2023, 11:17 AM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Rider View Post
I also try to take a revolver with me whenever I visit the range. Yesterday I took my M&P 10mm 2.0 and my "old truck gun"...a 1980 6" blued Colt Python. Which do you think got the most comments from the young RO and other shooters?
Hawg Rider, you are close. I am in Sebastian and our range is about 1 mile off of I-95, Come on over.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:18 AM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP@AK View Post
You've noticed that too? Here is the worst part:
Elves sneak into my house at night about once a week and shrink the print in all of my books.
Jack,

I have the same gremlins at my house!!

AJ
Old 12-02-2023, 11:35 AM

Liked 5,180 Times in 1,587 Posts

My range is rife with plastic gun shooters. I am not not one of them. I like and shoot semi-auto pistols, but they're all metal and have external hammers. Revolvers, however are my favorites. Some of the younger shooters are curious about revolvers, and can't understand why anyone would shoot something that only held six rounds. They lose their minds when they see a moonclip being used in a 100+ year old model 1917.

Last edited by sodacan; 12-03-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:57 AM
Liked 8,611 Times in 2,977 Posts

I used to shag brass when my father shot IPSC back in the 70's and 80's... he was an odd man out back then using a model 66 4 inch in competition.. most had 1911's or BHP'S... he had those too, but liked Old Betsy the most... so since the nut doesn't fall too far from the tree.. I also am a wheel gun guy.. and raised my son to appreciate them as well... and at our outdoor range it isn't odd.. but I went with a friend to shoot 22 bowling pins and took my 617.. boy did I get funny looks.. until I cleared the table.. other shooters worry too much about the reload they shouldn't need if they only shot better...
photo getting them dirty.. and cleaning them up...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200828_134020.jpg (133.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 20200831_124817.jpg (143.2 KB, 103 views)
The Following 9 Users Like Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 12:35 PM
Liked 63 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Many years ago I went to Kentucky to visit my wife's sister. Her husband took me to the town IGA food store. Behind the meat counter in the back were safes filled with guns and ammo for sale.
Me being from up north they asked a lot of questions about my political and religious beliefs etc. They also asked if I brought a gun and if so what. I told them I had brought a Smith and Wesson 442 .38 snub. They seemed shocked "why wouldn't you bring a Glock" and things like that. My answer floored them. "I brought a revolver to a strange to me place and if I needed to use it the last thing I want is to have the shells bouncing around on the sidewalk with my fingerprints on them." After a moment of silence they said "wow never thought about that".
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 12:37 PM
Liked 14,119 Times in 5,132 Posts

Sadly. The world is awash with plastic bullet squirters............
Old 12-02-2023, 12:49 PM
Liked 1,707 Times in 636 Posts

Nothing says fun at the range like shooting fist sized 15 yard groups with a 100 year old revolver while the folks in the next stall are trying to do their best impression of 50 yard 000 buck open cylinder patterns with their super polystriker wonder pistol firing at 7 yards.
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 01:08 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,738 Times in 621 Posts
Thumbs up

A younger LEO buddy of mine needed a revolver to take to Firearms Instructor basic so I loaned him my M19-4 4” bbl revolver (w/ smooth S&W trigger & action job). He said the other guys were asking why was it that LE went away from revolvers? I love a good wheel gun!
Old 12-02-2023, 03:02 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 6,043 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
There is that aspect to think about. As I get older the ground seems to be getting farther away when picking up stuff.

Yes! I tell my younger friends:

"Gravity is increasing and the ground is getting farther away"

The state range I go to nearby has brass everywhere, seems no one picks it up.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:42 PM
Liked 965 Times in 303 Posts

A few months ago, back in the heat of summer, I went to the indoor range with my 19-3.

There were quite a few shooters that day so it was pretty noisy. I had s pot on the firing line next to the wall so I was catching the reverb from that too.

After my first two rounds I noticed the place was suddenly quiet. I waited, I thought maybe I missed a cease fire command. I turned around and everyone was standing behind me....watching.

I layed my revolver down and stepped back.....oh yeah, like a freak show.
None of these young guys had ever seen a fire breather

Last edited by Ingramite; 12-02-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:47 PM
Liked 712 Times in 249 Posts
Default Plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacan View Post
My range has a rife of plastic gun shooters. I am not not one of them. I like and shoot semi-auto pistols, but they're all metal and have external hammers. Revolvers, however are my favorites. Some of the younger shooters are curious about revolvers, and can't understand why anyone would shoot something that only held six rounds. They lose their minds when they see a moonclip being used in a 100+ year old model 1917.
They make guns out of plastic?
😳😳
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 03:51 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post
A few months ago, back in the heat of summer, I went to the indoor range with my 19-3.

There were quite a few shooters that day so it was pretty noisy. I had s pot on the firing line next to the wall so I was catching the reverb from that too.

After my first two rounds I noticed the place was suddenly quiet. I waited, I thought maybe I missed a cease fire command. I turned around and everyone was standing behind me....watching.

I layed my revolver down and stepped back.....oh yeah, like a freak show.
None of these young guys had ever seen a fire breather
Know that feeling. I have a 27-2 3.5 inch that is a boomer. Also have a old Colt New Service that has been semi-Fitz'd with a 2 inch barrel that is in .45 Colt and can create shock waves for those close. Louder than my old 29-2 with a 4 inch barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewService Filed.jpg (189.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by AJ; 12-02-2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 04:01 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-22 View Post
😳😳
Well sort of.....Polymer - Synthetic, Macromolecules, Polymerization | Britannica
Old 12-02-2023, 04:38 PM
US Veteran
Liked 6,484 Times in 2,524 Posts

Think showing up with a revolver is bad, show up with a Colt Mid Range. Tell them its a 1911 that shoots 38 Spl. I would take the Mid Range and my slicked up 19 6” and shoot the centers out of the targets. Got some looks..
Old 12-02-2023, 04:41 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 6,156 Times in 2,187 Posts

I qualified this week with four different .357 snub revolvers. You would have thought a herd of unicorns was running down the line.
The Following 9 Users Like Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 05:06 PM
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman50 View Post
Think showing up with a revolver is bad, show up with a Colt Mid Range. Tell them its a 1911 that shoots 38 Spl. I would take the Mid Range and my slicked up 19 6” and shoot the centers out of the targets. Got some looks..
Had a Colt Mid Range and a Custom built Colt M1911 in .38 Special and they did cause some confusion when at the range.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:53 PM
Liked 5,638 Times in 1,631 Posts

I get strange looks when I fire one of my single action revolvers. I hear comments like "hey, look at the old guy shooting a cowboy gun". Or when I bring my 1935 Mauser P08. Some at least recognize it as a Luger. But my Mauser C96 1930 Commercial really throws them for a loop, especially if I affix the shoulder stock.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:55 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 3,064 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-22 View Post
😳😳
Yes, I believe they are meant to be the "target" when target shooting. You need to practice so you can blow the Glock out of the villain's hand.

I feel bad when I use an auto with an alloy frame. I feel best when it is a K or N frame in a caliber that either begins with a 4 or ends with mag. Everybody should shoot with a gun they feel good with, Working LEOs often do not have choice, they have to get good with what they give them
Old 12-02-2023, 07:32 PM
Liked 7,585 Times in 2,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike, SC Hunter View Post
Sadly. The world is awash with plastic bullet squirters............
LOL! I'm keepin' this one! Confession: I do have one plastic bullet squirter, a Shield+ and I do carry it. Needs more experience to be as accurate as most any SW revolver, though.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:35 PM
Liked 1,939 Times in 694 Posts

A few years ago, but we'll into the Era of plastic semiautos, my daughter and son in law wanted to take the required course and get their CC permits in Memphis. SIL shot the 4" 66 I'd helped my daughter find and purchase which she gave him for a wedding present. She shot the 642 I'd given her and they both qualified top of the class, to the utter amazement of the bottom feeder crowd.
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
Old 12-02-2023, 11:44 PM
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,282 Posts

Quote:
A little known phenomena - you get taller as you age!
Old 12-02-2023, 11:53 PM
Liked 3,685 Times in 1,059 Posts

At our yearly HR218 qualification I usually bring my model 65 and some .357 loads and ask the range officers if they would like to try and shoot what we used to carry. I have to explain how to open the cylinder, load with speed loader, how to unload etc.
I used a model 19 at a week long NRA police firearms instructor tactical shooting course. Good thing I brought an extra case of ammo. All the young cops in the class wanted to shoot it after class.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:13 AM
Liked 10,122 Times in 3,715 Posts

Couple weeks ago was at show, small about 150 tables. Me and Bro had about 20 revolvers as well as 10 or so auto pistols. All revolvers were S&W except one Colt. I guarantee you not counting Rough Rider, Wrangler and Sidewinders we had over half of the Revolvers in the show. Military and Para Military stuff has taken over the shows.
I had a Win 25/20 rifle for sale. I don’t know how many guys, some 60 at least said they never heard tell of a 25/20
Did well with the S&Ws, by the way. Still a few mothers letting their babies grow up to be cowboys.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:40 AM
US Veteran
Liked 19,399 Times in 6,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
Still a few mothers letting their babies grow up to be cowboys.
Probably letting them play guitar and drive old trucks, too.
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
Old 12-03-2023, 01:42 AM
Liked 205 Times in 111 Posts

I can't remember the last time I saw a revolver at the range other then the ones I bring. No one ever says a thing to me as no one talks to each other. As people pretend they are friendly in this part of the country but are really known for freezing people out that aren't already friends. I like shooting my metal autos as well but I prefer carrying plastic guns.
Old 12-03-2023, 03:33 AM
Liked 13,585 Times in 3,348 Posts

I remember a young range officer coming over to me one day, watching for a few minutes and saying "You always have the neatest toys." before moving back to his normal position. At the time I was shooting a reproduction "Man With No Name," open top Colt SA in 44 Special. I offered to let him fire a few, but he said he couldn't while he was working.
John 3:16 .
Old 12-03-2023, 09:04 AM
Liked 329 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
One day last week while I had a construction crew on the property my neighbor came over and asked me to help her lift her sister off the floor and put her into a wheelchair around 10 am (second time). As the crew was winding down, my OTHER NEIGHBOR absolutely frantically came over,,, he had left his mother who had fallen!!! EMS was on the way,, she was conscious.
If you’re interested, everyone is OK.

Yesterday I was in the orange box store and when I turned around the isle I saw a man on his hands and knees with his head,, heading towards the floor! I yelled out,,might have scared him,, !!! I’m OK he said “.
I said, I didn’t know how you got down there!!!

He said, “I don’t know how I get up!!”

Edit, He was down there trying to read the price tag on the bottom shelf!
Old 12-03-2023, 12:27 PM
US Veteran
Liked 25,207 Times in 8,613 Posts

It seems that lately, everything I want to buy winds up on the bottom shelf. I'm not above asking for help these days. Let these young whippersnappers bend down and help this old man.
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!
Old 12-03-2023, 05:19 PM
Liked 549 Times in 162 Posts

Well, I'm heading for the range tomorrow and I don't know what's going to draw more attention? My 67-1, my new to me 4506-1, or my 63 ND. I'm thinking the 4506-1 because it's going to be the loudest and it's an indoor range. I'll let you all know.
Also these will most likely be the only all steel handguns on the firing line. I do own a Glock-17 Gen 5 that I am very good with. In NJ we are only allowed to have 10 round magazines so every round has to count.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:45 PM
Liked 1,024 Times in 515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzzer View Post
The wife and I took a couple out to the range about 2 months ago, some good friends of ours. They had never shot handguns before and wanted to try it out, get a feel for it.

We took two semi-autos and two revolvers. After almost an hour or so we started packing up and I asked them which style of firearm they liked better. Hands down it was the revolvers. It's also what both of them shot best!

The revolver is far from being dead, IMHO...
That is because semi autos do scary stuff. (Slide going back and forth)

BTW how old was the couple?
Old 12-03-2023, 06:11 PM
Liked 9,452 Times in 3,771 Posts

I try to do a LEOSA qual at least twice a year just to keep up my card. Usually I do it with two different guns, a pistol of some format and a revolver, usually my M66. I did it with a custom.45 ACP (4") once and a younger officer commented about the "man's gun". I started LE with an M58 and 3 speed loaders.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:09 PM
US Veteran
Liked 4,365 Times in 1,876 Posts

I'm going out Wednesday as the temp is supposed to be around 60. Taking 17's, 18's, a 36, a 48, a 53, a 57, and a 29, oh, and My 475 Linebaugh. The ones that gather the most interest are the 53 and the Linebaugh. " What the heck are You shooting?" It's amazing how many have never heard of a '22 Jet', but once I show it They all think it's a 'neat' gun. I offer to let Them shoot the Linebaugh, but in 2 years I have had 2 takers. One shot a cylinder full (5) and one quit after one shot. Going to take them all out for Our spring 'open house'. Should be fun.
Old 12-03-2023, 08:43 PM
Liked 1,024 Times in 515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by balin View Post
I can't remember the last time I saw a revolver at the range other then the ones I bring. No one ever says a thing to me as no one talks to each other. As people pretend they are friendly in this part of the country but are really known for freezing people out that aren't already friends. I like shooting my metal autos as well but I prefer carrying plastic guns.
Same here.

Plus the younger urban generation relate revolvers to Law Enforcement. Now if I an shooting a 1911 pistol I have young men ask me if that is my "Army Pistol".
Old 12-03-2023, 08:51 PM
BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS BROUGHT MY COMBAT MASTERPIECE (PRE M15) TO RANGE TODAY-GOT SOME WEIRD LOOKS/COMMENTS  
Liked 5,214 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
Jack,

I have the same gremlins at my house!!

AJ
That explains it! I thought my arms were shrinking.