Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 04-28-2024, 09:38 AM
latest addition to my collection m&p target latest addition to my collection m&p target latest addition to my collection m&p target latest addition to my collection m&p target latest addition to my collection m&p target  
Liked 534 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKmesa View Post
Beautiful gun!!! That looks like a Mexican Model to me (one of 2,900, SN Range S812000 - S833000) - the post-war .38 M&P Target. I also do not believe that it shipped in a gold box, but in one of the burgundy boxes (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
Richard,

It is most definitely a Model of 1946 (Mexican Model) with Serial Number 833717...If I'm reading it correctly!! Hopefully...If willing the OP will confirm that!!

Also...Concerning the Box it would have shipped in...I believe depending on whatever Shipping Box was available at the time...It could have been shipped in either Box...A Gold or Late Pre-War Dark Burgundy Box!!
Old 04-29-2024, 12:45 PM
latest addition to my collection m&p target latest addition to my collection m&p target latest addition to my collection m&p target latest addition to my collection m&p target latest addition to my collection m&p target  
Liked 113 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece View Post
Richard,

It is most definitely a Model of 1946 (Mexican Model) with Serial Number 833717...If I'm reading it correctly!! Hopefully...If willing the OP will confirm that!!

Also...Concerning the Box it would have shipped in...I believe depending on whatever Shipping Box was available at the time...It could have been shipped in either Box...A Gold or Late Pre-War Dark Burgundy Box!!
was digging around and there was an example at RIA, and it came with a golden box, but are right let's see which box it was the one
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:18 PM
Liked 534 Times in 334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woden View Post
Was digging around and there was an example at RIA, and it came with a golden box.
woden,

Don't take this a gospel, but the Boxes I've observed Correctly Serial-Numbered to Revolvers that are in the 833,000 Range all have been in the Early Post-War Gold Shipping Box!!

That aside...Like I noted earlier...Please don't take this as an absolute certainty given if there weren't any Gold Boxes available when it was being boxed for shipping...There's always a possibility it could have shipped in one of the Late Pre-War Dark Burgundy Two-Piece Boxes if there was one handy at the time!!
Old 04-29-2024, 01:43 PM
US Veteran
Liked 19,318 Times in 6,942 Posts

I show a Mexican Model near that serial number that shipped in October, 1946. Either box could be correct.

Those stocks are the early postwar style and are correct for the period. I've not found any prewar style Magna stocks that shipped later than April, 1946.
SWCA #2475, SWHF #318
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 02:03 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 8,976 Times in 3,562 Posts

Quote:
and an original golden box
That is a beautiful gun and anyone would be proud to have it in their collection.

As far as an original golden box, as a purist collector there is only one, the one it came in and hopefully numbered to that gun. IMHO, using any period correct box that a gun did not ship in removes the possibility of the correct gun ever finding its box.

Everyone sees these things differently but just my opinion. I have often wished that there was a way for collectors to list items in their possession that are true Smith and Wesson but not original to anything in their collection. To me the possibility of reuniting a box or set of stocks to an original gun is a very cool aspect of collecting. I have seen it happen a few times but it is rare.

If there was a central data file where collectors could list their excess items I feel that it might happen more often.

Just my humble opinion and worth exactly what was paid for it...........
LM #497