Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Value First Model Hand Ejector Value First Model Hand Ejector Value First Model Hand Ejector Value First Model Hand Ejector Value First Model Hand Ejector  
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

I need advice on value please:

I have stumbled across a first model .32 S&W Long Hand Ejector (with the markings on the cylinder as opposed to the barrel and no thumb actuated cylinder release latch). It is nickel with 97%+ finish remaining if not better. Bore good, grips intact. Lockup good.
The asking price is $700. Opinions please.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Value First Model Hand Ejector Value First Model Hand Ejector Value First Model Hand Ejector Value First Model Hand Ejector Value First Model Hand Ejector  
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

I need advice on value please:

I have stumbled across a first model .32 S&W Long Hand Ejector (with the markings on the cylinder as opposed to the barrel and no thumb actuated cylinder release latch). It is nickel with 97%+ finish remaining if not better. Bore good, grips intact. Lockup good.
The asking price is $700. Opinions please.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Liked 6,726 Times in 1,862 Posts

A so-so price in my opinion. I've seen many around in that range or less. They seem to surface in waves.... I do know that very long and very short barrels bring better money.

If the gun is all origional, truely in 97%, and you wanted one of these, $700 is not too much to spend.

Look for special markings on the grips straps as as a few of these guns were Police Marked. That would add substantially to the value of this revolver.

Good Luck

Drew
Old 12-07-2007, 04:23 AM
Banned
Liked 1,569 Times in 421 Posts

Might be slightly over priced, but it's condition might justify it. Prices can be a little subjective, depending on a number of factors. Try to negotiate with the seller if possible. The majority of those I've handled have been pretty beat. The JCPD marked (Jersey City Police) guns I've seen had also experienced significant wear and tear, like most other veteran police revolvers. But as mentioned, they will command a premium. Here's one of mine pictured right, about 98%. I have another with original black hard rubber grips that is probably 95%, due to some blood staining that removed a few small spots of the blue finish on one side of the frame. It belonged to a lovely old lady, whose abusive husband used it to check out. She told me she kept it in her nightstand for over 70 years. Either for protection or to remind her that the ******* did the right thing in the end.

You might wish to proceed slowly and excercise a little caution. Discovering a nickel model at 97% original condition though not impossible, strikes me as not typical. A little precautionary skepticism might be in order. It may have been refinished at some time. A picture or two would be helpful. Quite a few of the members of this forum have a keen eye for such details and might be able to offer opinions concerning it's originality. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 AM
SWCA Member
Liked 1,168 Times in 269 Posts

David, If the gun is truly 97-98%, buy the dadgum thing and don't waste a lot of time. Of course, you should "try" to negotiate, however, it is well worth the $700 price.

David Carroll
Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 6,632 Times in 1,357 Posts

Ah yes - truly . I love that word - its one of the most deceptive in the language.
I doubt that half of us could truly remember where we ate diner a month ago, much less
be able to rate a gun as 97% original finish. Oh, to have that talent.

In the spirit of the Season, I like to have fun with friends like DC !

To me, the real issue here is the originality of the finish. If one has not looked at,
and studied, hundreds of guns, it is not an easy determination to make.

Regards, Mike Priwer

Tags
ejector, hand ejector, sig arms