Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 08-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty ! Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty ! Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty ! Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty ! Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty !  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After months of searching (in California), I have finally found a "Pre-war" Heavy-Duty.

This is my first Pre-war S&W and I am so glad to finally join the "Pre-war club", especially with such a great revolver. A Heavy-Duty was second on my "holy Grail list" only behind a Registered Magnum.

This HD is circa March 1936, 5", and Nickel. Please excuse the Post-war diamond magnas - they are only temporary until I find the correct type grips. I have requested a letter from Roy Jinks in order to determine the correct original type (either magna or service). I was surprised to see that the Post-war grips fit so well, I had read that Pre-war frames were of different length ????. I would also like to locate a correct type blue picture box. Although the finish has blemishes, it appears to be the original nickel. I love it - it is such a great revolver!

Old 08-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty ! Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty ! Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty ! Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty ! Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty !  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After months of searching (in California), I have finally found a "Pre-war" Heavy-Duty.

This is my first Pre-war S&W and I am so glad to finally join the "Pre-war club", especially with such a great revolver. A Heavy-Duty was second on my "holy Grail list" only behind a Registered Magnum.

This HD is circa March 1936, 5", and Nickel. Please excuse the Post-war diamond magnas - they are only temporary until I find the correct type grips. I have requested a letter from Roy Jinks in order to determine the correct original type (either magna or service). I was surprised to see that the Post-war grips fit so well, I had read that Pre-war frames were of different length ????. I would also like to locate a correct type blue picture box. Although the finish has blemishes, it appears to be the original nickel. I love it - it is such a great revolver!

Old 08-21-2007, 06:02 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 13,973 Times in 3,391 Posts

Very nice find, looks all original except the grips which are very nice them selves.
I like that ammo box. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice find! My H-D is a postwar, but they are remarkable pistols in any event. Others on this forum have talked about using "Mothers" mag polish and a scotch-brite pad to polish up old nickel. I tried it on a couple of I-frames I have, and it works wonderfully. I found "Mothers" at an auto parts shop. On the other hand, if that old gun could talk....! I'm jealous.

MikeyL
S&WCA #2010
Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Liked 885 Times in 283 Posts

Very nice catch. Not only a Pre-War but an N Frame to boot! They make great shooters and yours is a looker. Enjoy.

Roger
Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty !  
Liked 828 Times in 236 Posts

Very nice looking HD !

Hang on to your wallet when you start searching for a nice set of grips and original box ! You are in for a little sticker shock ! A nice set of pre-war magnas and correct box may cost as much as a gun !

Please contact Bill (1Aspenhill) and consider giving him your serial number for the files.

Jerry
Old 08-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Finally a Pre-War Heavy-Duty !  
Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Once you discover what kind of grips you need, you'll have some decisions. Keith Brown has been making some replacements that are at least as good as the originals. The box will turn out to be a real challenge. Hint: if you see one, don't be shy. You may never see another.

Grips can be a big problem because if your grip frame fits postwars, it may not fit all the prewars out and about. The rule of thumb is to just take your gun to every show you attend. That way if you find as set, you can gently test fit any you find. Its pretty disheartening to find a set for $300 or $500 and have them not fit. And its not like you see multiple sets every year to pick from.

Sometimes a rough set is a better buy. Guys that are good with wood can fix the blemishes and rechecker them. A pristine set may be too nice to try that kind of thing on.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 3,521 Times in 577 Posts

Tom,
Nice looking gun! If you do have Keith make a pair of grips for it, you may want to provide him some measurements so he can get the fit correct for your frame. I would guess that the pin hole on the grips is elongated to fit that frame. Thanks for sharing and enjoy it!
Bill
Old 08-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thank you guys for your interest and comments.

Like I said, I always wanted to join the "pre-war" club and I have always wanted a Heavy-Duty - this find, allowed me to "kill two birds with one stone" ...

Best Regards,

Thomas
Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 PM
US Veteran
Liked 3,536 Times in 1,131 Posts

Nice! Those guns are real shooters.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey that's a nice one. Send it on up to Alaska if you run out of room in the safe!
SWCA #1724
NRA Life Member
Old 08-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Liked 1,529 Times in 609 Posts

I'm not certain of the correct grips for that gun, but if they are the same as a 2nd Model HE then Numrich Arms has repros in stock with the medallion. Not original but a suitable short time substitute.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...uctSKU=1032930

Tags
2nd model, jinks, keith brown grips, postwar, registered magnum