Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Old Military & Police question Old Military & Police question Old Military & Police question Old Military & Police question Old Military & Police question  
Liked 6,774 Times in 1,312 Posts

I ran across an old Military & Police revolver today, and I have been thinking about for awhile. It is a 5 screw gun, has the manufacturing markings on the top of the barrel, and on the left side of the barrel is marked "38 Smith & Wesson Special", and underneath that is "US Service CTG's". The serial number is around 57000. The barrel appeared to be longer and was cut, the front sight was put back on, and then milled into so that it resembles a smooth partridge (pretty well done). On the rear is a windage only adjustable sight. The finish is about 50 percent with pitting here and there. The grips are the original diamond, and the action is like glass. THere is what I thought was flame cutting above the forcing cone, but it is perfectly smooth and uniform. The bore appears to be very good, I am just wondering how old this thing happens to be. The work appears to have been done a loooong time ago. Could it be worth $230?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Old Military & Police question Old Military & Police question Old Military & Police question Old Military & Police question Old Military & Police question  

I ran across an old Military & Police revolver today, and I have been thinking about for awhile. It is a 5 screw gun, has the manufacturing markings on the top of the barrel, and on the left side of the barrel is marked "38 Smith & Wesson Special", and underneath that is "US Service CTG's". The serial number is around 57000. The barrel appeared to be longer and was cut, the front sight was put back on, and then milled into so that it resembles a smooth partridge (pretty well done). On the rear is a windage only adjustable sight. The finish is about 50 percent with pitting here and there. The grips are the original diamond, and the action is like glass. THere is what I thought was flame cutting above the forcing cone, but it is perfectly smooth and uniform. The bore appears to be very good, I am just wondering how old this thing happens to be. The work appears to have been done a loooong time ago. Could it be worth $230?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Old Military & Police question Old Military & Police question  
Liked 5,228 Times in 1,675 Posts

Until the more knowledgeable come along, here's a little something to chew on.

1. That isn't flame cutting, it is meant to give fouling a place to go other than accumulating between the cylinder and forcing cone. There is a term of art for it, but if I ever knew it, it escapes me now.

2. US Service CTG refers to the .38 Long Colt, which was military issue until the .45 ACP was adopted in 1911. The .38 Long Colt can be fired in revolvers chambered for .38 Special, just as .22 Shorts can be used in a .22 LR chamber.

3. If the barrel has been cut and/or the sights modified, the collector value is shot (pun intended). But depending on the type and condition of the grips someone may tell you they alone are worth the asking price.

4. We need more info: round or square butt, patent info from the barrel markings, wood or hard rubber grips, medallions or not and PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES. We are visually stimulated around here.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:40 PM

Unfortunately the gun is in a shop at the moment so I can't get the pics. The revolver's grips were wood diamonds, and square butt. The patent from what I can remember had what I thought was a 1909 date on the last line. I figured there was little collecter value left. I am mainly trying to think what it might be worth more as a curio and a shooter.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
US Veteran
Liked 128 Times in 35 Posts

I paid about $400.00 for a 6" very similar to the one you mentioned.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Liked 1,285 Times in 264 Posts

Good info from Buford57. In addition, its in the 38 M&P second model, first change range. Shipping about 1905. That top strap indent is called a fouling cup, a leftover from the black powder days. If you can get a pictue up, put it in the pre-war section. Probably get more response there.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Old Military & Police question Old Military & Police question  
Liked 5,228 Times in 1,675 Posts

5. Some of us think any pre-War Smith in shooter condition with unpitted barrel and chambers and more finish than patina are worth offering $200 OTD just because they are fun to shoot. Once patina exceeds finish we offer $150. Collectors think we are nuts, but we enjoy ourselves.

No extra charge for that bit of wisdom.

Thanks, Pace40, I kept trying to call it a "fouling cut". Knew that wasn't right.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 AM
Old Military & Police question  
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Is it possible that the revolver is an original target version of the M&P. Didn't they have windage adjustable only rear sights?

Tags
1911, colt, fouling, military, patridge