Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Revolvers > S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961

S&W Hand Ejectors: 1896 to 1961 All 5-Screw & Vintage 4-Screw SWING-OUT Cylinder REVOLVERS, and the 35 Autos and 32 Autos

Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 PM
SWCA Member
My  red mottled grips Ebay score! My  red mottled grips Ebay score! My  red mottled grips Ebay score! My  red mottled grips Ebay score! My  red mottled grips Ebay score!  
Liked 3,187 Times in 936 Posts
Default My $12 red mottled grips Ebay score!

Replacement Grips Smith & Wesson pocket Mod Cocobolo - eBay (item 200356794072 end time Jul-02-09 18:22:35 PDT)

Above is the link to the closed auction I won. They ended up costing me $18 with shipping. They were poorly pictured and the seller thought they were cocobolo wood of all things. I was pretty sure they were original red grips, so I took a chance. They're I frame and in very decent condition. A small chunk is missing in the typical bottom edge from improper removal from the frame pin. Should be an easy repair. This is my first set of red grips. Not sure what I'll put these on, but I'll find something. Just had to share.

Chris
SWCA #2243 SWHF #292
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 07-12-2009, 11:03 PM
My  red mottled grips Ebay score! My  red mottled grips Ebay score! My  red mottled grips Ebay score!  
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

I seen those from that seller before, it was a while ago, and I meant to bid on them but I forgot all about it until it was too late. I never seen them relisted when I was looking. Great score!!

Bill
Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 AM
My  red mottled grips Ebay score! My  red mottled grips Ebay score! My  red mottled grips Ebay score! My  red mottled grips Ebay score! My  red mottled grips Ebay score!  
Liked 1,013 Times in 231 Posts

Great looking grips.
Nice catch!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Administrator
Liked 3,973 Times in 600 Posts

Educate me please...

Are those wood, bakelite or some other plastic?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:05 AM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45wheelgun View Post
Educate me please...

Are those wood, bakelite or some other plastic?
None of the above. They are hard rubber, just like the black ones. The red mottled ones are pretty rare. It's the same color they used for the forearm on the .320 revolving rifles.
SWCA #2243 SWHF #292
Old 07-13-2009, 01:31 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Absent Comrade
Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

If you want those grips repaired like new, Don Furr specializes in hard rubber grip repairs and does an excellent job. You will not be able to tell where that missing piece was after he's finished. Call him eves. at 714-754-6742, or write him at POBox 2648, Costa Mesa, CA., 92628. He is a S&WCA member.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Liked 520 Times in 264 Posts
Default Question...

The "mottled" grips always throw me a loop, so please inform me...

Am I correct that there are two versions of the "red" grips-
One which is a mottled hard rubber- with the red actually in the rubber,
and another version which was just regular black rubber grips painted by one of the S&W distributors of the time (these painted grips also came in different colors, IIRC).

I have a set of what I thought were the mottled grips, but they had thinner red lines in them than the ones pictured, and thought it must be painted. The typical crack in the bottom was what always threw me- it was red under where it was broken- so it has to be red all the way through, correct?

Anyway, thanks for the photo of some amazing and beautiful grips!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
SWCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opoefc View Post
If you want those grips repaired like new, Don Furr specializes in hard rubber grip repairs and does an excellent job. You will not be able to tell where that missing piece was after he's finished. Call him eves. at 714-754-6742, or write him at POBox 2648, Costa Mesa, CA., 92628. He is a S&WCA member.
Thanks. I had Don fix a pair of grips for my .44 DA Russian Topbreak a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Griffith View Post
The "mottled" grips always throw me a loop, so please inform me...

Am I correct that there are two versions of the "red" grips-
One which is a mottled hard rubber- with the red actually in the rubber,
and another version which was just regular black rubber grips painted by one of the S&W distributors of the time (these painted grips also came in different colors, IIRC).

I have a set of what I thought were the mottled grips, but they had thinner red lines in them than the ones pictured, and thought it must be painted. The typical crack in the bottom was what always threw me- it was red under where it was broken- so it has to be red all the way through, correct?

Anyway, thanks for the photo of some amazing and beautiful grips!!!
Yes, you can see the red in the missing chip. Real mottled grips look like someone mixed red and black paint, but didn't stir it very much. It's a marbled effect all the way through, definitely not painted on. I've never seen a pair that was dealer painted, but I'm sure it happened.
SWCA #2243 SWHF #292

Tags
cocobolo, russian, topbreak